The War Room Lounge v.8: Conor was Framed by the Deep State Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
183 punches landed. Surprised he lasted that long. He has a fun style but I hate his game. Good leg kicks, sloppy punching and didn’t use any wrestling. If DP would check some of those he could have destroyed this guy.

183 punches landed. Surprised he lasted that long. He has a fun style but I hate his game. Good leg kicks, sloppy punching and didn’t use any wrestling. If DP would check some of those he could have destroyed this guy.
Yeah. Conor would punch Justin's head right off.

Dustin can't beat Conor or Khabib, but I'd watch.

Gathejie needs to adjust his style. He's staring down the barrel of a short career, and CTE.
100%. And he’s going to lose fights wit this style. Why not use his wrestling? Why doesn’t DP check kicks? This is not rocket science.

100%. And he’s going to lose fights wit this style. Why not use his wrestling? Why doesn’t DP check kicks? This is not rocket science.
I think checking leg kicks is a little trickier. It takes good reaction time, and good proprioception. But not using your wrestling at all when you've got it is inexcusable. I understand his style, and Poirier's leg was hurt, but mix it up for Christ's sake. Protect your melon a little while you're at it.

The older I get, the more I appreciate brilliant defense in fighting.

I think checking leg kicks is a little trickier. It takes good reaction time, and good proprioception. But not using your wrestling at all when you've got it is inexcusable. I understand his style, and Poirier's leg was hurt, but mix it up for Christ's sake. Protect your melon a little while you're at it.

The older I get, the more I appreciate brilliant defense in fighting.
For sure, it’s a skill, but it’s one that’s missing almost accross mma. I get that being light on the front leg, which is necessary to check kicks, makes you susceptible to take downs. But you can’t just allow a guy to destroy you legs.

There are trade offs for sure. I just can’t stand watching guys to execute a must Muay Thai 101 technique and just get their leg smashed. I don’t think DP could have held up 5 rounds.

I’m with you on your point about defense. It’s often lacking in mma imo.

Last edited:
For sure, it’s a skill, but it’s one that’s missing almost accross mma. I get that being light on the front leg, which is necessary to check kicks, makes you susceptible to take downs. But you can’t just allow a guy to destroy you legs.

There are trade offs for sure. I just can’t stand watching guys to execute a must Muay Thai 101 technique and just get their leg smashed. I don’t think DP could have held up 5 rounds.

I’m with you on your point about defense. It’s often lacking in mma imo.
Maybe unfair to compare to the best kickboxer in the world right now, but Sittichai has a front leg heavy style and still manages to check kicks. It can be done. He has a technique of springing off that front leg to raise it, and does so all throughout this fight. If the kick doesn't come he turns it into a teep.

I think mma fighters believe they will win the battle of trading punches for leg kicks (small gloves, in love with their power), because the straight right is almost always there if you're willing to absorb the kick. Then they catch one on the IT band and it's a long night...

Maybe unfair to compare to the best kickboxer in the world right now, but Sittichai has a front leg heavy style and still manages to check kicks. It can be done. He has a technique of springing off that front leg to raise it, and does so all throughout this fight. If the kick doesn't come he turns it into a teep.

I think mma fighters believe they will win the battle of trading punches for leg kicks (small gloves, in love with their power), because the straight right is almost always there if you're willing to absorb the kick. Then they catch one on the IT band and it's a long night...

Good point and that certainly looked like DPs strategy last night. He did a great job of firing back after each of those leg kicks and he won, so wtf do I know lol.

And I wouldn’t expect these guys to have techniques on par with world class Thai boxers. But for fucks sakes check a couple of them to keep the guy honest.

Good point and that certainly looked like DPs strategy last night. He did a great job of firing back after each of those leg kicks and he won, so wtf do I know lol.

And I wouldn’t expect these guys to have techniques on par with world class Thai boxers. But for fucks sakes check a couple of them to keep the guy honest.
I agree. It paid off for DP but it wasn't a certainty going into the 4th with all that damage.

And one good check will stop a lot of guys from even throwing it again. That shit hurts.

Great fight, but Gaethje relying on his chin like that in a fight of attrition using leg kicks... well, that isn't a strategy with longevity in mind.

Gathejie needs to adjust his style. He's staring down the barrel of a short career, and CTE.
i agree, once his chin goes hes pretty beatable by a decent striker
dont know why cruz thought he was ahead, porier landed a shit ton more head strikes, and the third was a draw cos of the eyepokes.

I wish I had the courage of Steve Jobs. The courage to follow your dreams/heart.

“Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life.

Almost everything--all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure--these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.

Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.

No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet, death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it, and that is how it should be, because death is very likely the single best invention of life. It's life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new.”

Steve Jobs

Cut the shit @bobgeese , put some actual research and thought into your posts.<LikeReally5>

You’re attempting to defend the indefensible.

The Clintons have been taking money and favors to peddle foreign influence into American politics for a LONG time.

Apologists like you @HomerThompson @Quipling and @Jack V Savage have bent over for them for far too long. How can any of you pretend to have an ounce of self respect when the Clintons have been doing the exact same shit people like Paul Manafort are now being locked up for.

PS Everything I posted in the other thread was money traced to the Clintons, and lies told by the Clintons to cover up that money, by the NYT.

PPS Justin Gathe is terrible. Heart only gets you so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back