The Vertical fist

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by TheMaster, Aug 21, 2006.

1. TheMaster Take The Road To Reality

TheMaster
    In Wing Chun the punch is normally done with power coming from the back leg springing up, and the pelvis going forward. Power also comes from the force of the elbow extending whilst keeping the shoulder back. The forearm and wrist are also involved in the power delivery. The punch is always done relaxed. This means that the biceps are kept relaxed and never tensed. Obviously the triceps are tensed as this happens in order to extend the punch, but keeping the arm relaxed means the triceps do not get slowed down by bicep tension. Most of the power comes from the leg, it is not an

2. Sinister Doctor of Doom

Sinister
    If you ever watch Boxing, specifically Friday Night Fights on ESPN occasionally you'll see Teddy Atlas profile a very specific and effective type of jab. The old-school "trip-hammer" jab.

The way he does it he keeps the fist verticle, and from the cheekbone brings it straight down/out to the opponent's face.

He says this is one of the most effective types of jabs for numerous reasons:

1) It falls without warning. The fist is up, then it's not. And *bang*, you can tentatively bash the opponent's nose flat.

2) Less distance to travel than chambering the jab. If you have a reach advantage over the oppnent it's even moreso. So you can both intercept attacks and counter-punch with this jab with relative ease.

3) If your shoulders are in-position you can also have some bodyweight behind it. But that's all in where your feet are.

There's not much hip-turn in the Boxing version because it would add time to a punch that should be minimal in both time and effort needed. But with the shifting of bodyweight the same tentative power could be added.

If you watched that recent "Fight Science" thing on Discovery, one of the few very good moments was right at the beginning when they were measuring lbs of force in punches. The Wing Chun style punch that you name actually did well for itself considering. I'm sure harder than a lot of people anticipated.

3. MikeMartial Black Belt

MikeMartial
    Interesting; I've always wondered about the effectiveness of the vertical fist versus horizontal, and this discussion has often popped up around traditional martial arts forums, but I've never heard it regarding boxing before.

In my limited experience, I've noticed the vertical fist is faster (for me) when used as a jab versus horizontal; but when using the horizontal, the shoulder seems to rotate up more, protecting that side of the chin/neck.

4. Goat Meal Shhh Belt

Goat Meal
    If the guy throwing that punch wasn't 120lbs, I'm sure it would have registered a lot better numbers.

5. CowboyPete Green Belt

CowboyPete
    I can't recall ever seeing this punch in a boxing match. Are there any fighters around today who use it?

6. Zeal Blue Belt

Zeal
    The vertical fist is more efficient if we're talking energy floor->fist because it maintains a more straight powerline between your muscles. It's also faster, slips through the guard more easilly, and leaves you more in balance after being thrown.
    But if you want punching power you have to realize it doesn't come from how you angle your hand. It comes from putting your entire body into it. Your random halfassed boxer out-punches most people on the planet of other styles. Why?

It's what he does.

7. Kozma Banned

Kozma
    it is safer then a horizontal fist without gloves. at least in most literature ive read.

8. HeyHEys Purple Belt

HeyHEys
    mark hunt does it a lot

9. Sinister Doctor of Doom

Sinister
    Floyd Mayweather Jr. used it a great deal in his fight with Zab Judah.

And there's actually a lot of guys who use it. Winky Wright uses it occasionally as well. It's a tool in the toolbox, so you won't see it exclusively. But it is used quite a bit. Mainly guys with speed and long arms use it.

10. deadlyshaolin euphoria

deadlyshaolin
    I see Tim Sylvia use it quite a bit.

11. scorcho Brown Belt

scorcho
    Bas Rutten uses it, as do I to get through people's defences. The vertical fist is great for clocking someone who is covering up, as it is narrower than a horisontal fist and can get through smaller holes.

12. SanShou The Original A-level Poster

SanShou
    Anyone know where I can download that tv show?