The United States of Apathy

Neph

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Hi folks

Picture shamelessly stolen from Reddit. It depicts the election results if abstention from voting was counted as a vote for "Nobody".

r956tu3qi8u01.png

I'm curious to hear what you think would happen if voting was compulsory and a prediction about what it will look like at the next election.

Take a look at California. What a bunch of fucking libtards lol.

Well, when you vote your guy in because he says hes gonna be different from the last guy, but instead he just keeps the machine oiled, it's hard to give a fuck

Hi folks

Picture shamelessly stolen from Reddit. It depicts the election results if abstention from voting was counted as a vote for "Nobody".

r956tu3qi8u01.png

I'm curious to hear what you think would happen if voting was compulsory and a prediction about what it will look like at the next election.
Looking at the places with the lowest turn outs it's not so surprising Trump won the election.

One can't help but wonder how large a role the campaign to convince Hillary voters to stay home played in this. I wonder how a similar tally would look for the previous few elections.

One can't help but wonder how large a role the campaign to convince Hillary voters to stay home played in this. I wonder how a similar tally would look for the previous few elections.

Would you mind explaining that campaign to me? I'm not from the US so I don't know what you mean by it. I have generally been told that Hillary was just very unpopular hence the turnout was low for her.

People were continuously fed that Hillary had it in the bag 100%. On an individual basis, makes it easy to just not bother with your "one insignificant vote" cause it's covered, but taken in the aggregate...

I think roughly 2/3 of the US population don't vote, and that isn't specific to the last election.

Also when you look at maps like this it looks like the Republican party won by a landslide, but in reality Trump didn't even win the popular vote. Most of those red areas in the mid west are sparsely populated open areas. The majority of people in the US are living in densely populated cities which tend to vote blue.

A little off topic, but this is what a map would look like if adjusted to scale for population.

582c7dd8ba6eb69a018b4902-750-496.png

As far as my eyes can tell, Arizona had absolutely no counties with a majority voting for either candidate lol

Can't tell if they're the only ones, or if maybe a smaller state on the east coast has that happen as well

The Trump turnout across the Midwest was huge. That was his goal all along the campaign, don't need to flip anyone just get the usual couch sitters up and in the booth for him like they haven't since Reagan

I'm assuming the blue counties are major cities? I'm actually surprised as I thought those places would have a lower % of turnout. Or are those the subburbs outside the city proper? That would make more sense

Last edited:
Hi folks

r956tu3qi8u01.png

Is this graph depicting whether majority or large plurality from those blackened areas did not vote for either Trump or Clinton?

I think roughly 2/3 of the US population don't vote, and that isn't specific to the last election.

Also when you look at maps like this it looks like the Republican party won by a landslide, but in reality Trump didn't even win the popular vote. Most of those red areas in the mid west are sparsely populated open areas. The majority of people in the US are living in densely populated cities which tend to vote blue.

A little off topic, but this is what a map would look like if adjusted to scale for population.

As weird as they are, I really enjoy seeing population adjusted maps

Here's the one for the electoral votes.

They're cool to look at for crime, college admission, professional athlete's hometowns, etc as well

As weird as they are, I really enjoy seeing population adjusted maps

Here's the one for the electoral votes.

The electoral map is also skewed, since its purpose was to give greater representation to states that have lower populations.

Would you mind explaining that campaign to me? I'm not from the US so I don't know what you mean by it. I have generally been told that Hillary was just very unpopular hence the turnout was low for her.
Part of the Russian propaganda program was ads and other stuff intended to convince voters, and Hillary supporters in particular, to stay home on election day.

Interesting map. Compulsory voting would favor Democrats.

Bad analysis itt.

Fucking read my mind. Maps like one in the in the OP are so distorting because they present voting data by land instead of by population.

For example, more people (close though) live in fucking Manhattan than both Dakotas combined! So you have a huge land mass painted red and a tiny little blue one in NY yet same size population.

Part of the Russian propaganda program was ads and other stuff intended to convince voters, and Hillary supporters in particular, to stay home on election day.
MSM and Celebrities had a fair hand in that as well. Everyone was stepping up to mock Trump's chances and assure everyone it was inevitable that Hillary would win, after all...it was "Her Turn" and literally everyone was "With Her".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back