The Ultimate Brain Stack/Diet

snakeybizz

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm extremely concious about the idea of brain health and how it effects everything from mood, focus, memory, intelligence etc... not only that, but diet makes a huge difference which I think a lot of us take for granted, we get all our other nutrients to feed our body but we totally forget about the thing that moves our body

I've been reading a bunch of different nootropics and health food books/journals/articles.... examine.com being a very influential source as I am a big fan of what they do (what are you guys thoughts on examine.com?)

I have came up with the following that I have included into my diet/supplementation regime

Blueberries - Examine consider this to be the most important supplement/food to include in a stack targeting memory and focus 60 - 120 grams...I usually throw in 80 grams twice a day with my egg whites and oatmeal

Fish Oil - Well documented benefits to brain function everyone is aware of

Caffeine - Specifically combined with L-Theanine, when taken alongside caffeine, will reduce the excitability caused by caffeine while retaining the focus and attention span benefits that caffeine provides.

L-Theanine - See Above

Creatine - Creatine transporter defect be treated with creatine supplementation. Although examine.com admit it is still unproven with regards to increased cognition...I take it anyway for strength so it doesn't matter if it helps that or not

So what do you think?... Anything you would add to this, that is backed up with research... what changes do you make to your diet with regards to brain health?

Pretty sure you should add daily reading there as well.

Pretty sure you should add daily reading there as well.

ha yeah I agree...I do other stuff outside of diet to keep my brain in check and if we are veering off from purely diet..I try to engage in activities that stimulate the brain as much as possible...read, play video games (eSports keep you sharp, its not like tv!) , try to have meaningful interesting conversation with friends and not talk about reality tv or the weather...

step to the plate and get on the 'racetams or go for modifinal breh

step to the plate and get on the 'racetams or go for modifinal breh

this is something I'm currently researching...for some reason there lacks any studies performed on humans though! There is a lot of positive testimonials who from people though even if the scientific studies are lacking

Why blueberries?

it explains it in the examine.com journal...basically there is a ton of empirical evidence that say blueberries can protect the brain and influence cognition...they offer a host of other benefits such as providing a generous dose of Neuronal growth hormone

the empirical evidence is mainly done on older people and animals, it is highly likely the it can effect anyone through the mechanisms it helps the subjects in the study

examine.com consider it to be the most important component of an effective memory and focus stack

Do cognitively demanding tasks that take you out of your comfort zone often.

Interesting topic for sure. People serious about eating healthy should probably be eating those already, but it seems like a good list for brain health to me. Also, all those Lumosity commercials about "Neuroplasticity" aren't just marketing, its a very real thing. Reading, Video Games, Chess, Math, Crosswords, Sudoku... all of those things will actually make your brain function faster as it reinforces neural pathways and forces your brain to stay sharp by "exercising" your brain. It's all good stuff TBH, you just have to do them regularly.

Good luck with your endeavors sir.

I agreze with Icewolf by the way don't forget running , running creates a better blood circulation of the brain and easier thinking even at low rythms don't forget day light/vitamine D3 , things like gingko , ginseng and rhodiolia may prove worthy same for millepertuis a plant that help with mood/brain problem and ofc some decent amount of carbs and good fat since as you know fat do help create neurone. Good thread btw *

Why blueberries?

I knew it was good for night vison ( i can attest of that being an exclusively night/early morning runner) and anti diarrhea it's even supposed to have anti colon cancer property but i didn't knew it acted like gingko annd increased the brain blood permeability*

Third stike i would add brahmi/bacopa to the thread.

Just get some Alpha Brain and Shroom Tech, brah. Onnit.com bitches.

this is something I'm currently researching...for some reason there lacks any studies performed on humans though! There is a lot of positive testimonials who from people though even if the scientific studies are lacking

I think there are several studies on Modafanil; Provigil's been prescribed for narcolepsy for many years.

Studies appear to show it's only a true cognitive enhancer in low performers. That said, it does significantly reduce tiredness so can be a performance/productivity enhancer from that perspective. It's also suggested that it may have neuroprotective properties but that's still to be proven.

I think there are several studies on Modafanil; Provigil's been prescribed for narcolepsy for many years.

Studies appear to show it's only a true cognitive enhancer in low performers. That said, it does significantly reduce tiredness so can be a performance/productivity enhancer from that perspective. It's also suggested that it may have neuroprotective properties but that's still to be proven.

I was prescribed modafinil for my excessive daytime sleepiness. I loved the stuff. It made me alert and focused on my tasks like no other drug. It was like taking a more potent version of the ephedrine and caffeine stack minus the jitteriness and the crash. The only drawback was the expensiveness. Well, that, and the long term side effects are not known yet.

Interesting topic for sure. People serious about eating healthy should probably be eating those already, but it seems like a good list for brain health to me. Also, all those Lumosity commercials about "Neuroplasticity" aren't just marketing, its a very real thing. Reading, Video Games, Chess, Math, Crosswords, Sudoku... all of those things will actually make your brain function faster as it reinforces neural pathways and forces your brain to stay sharp by "exercising" your brain. It's all good stuff TBH, you just have to do them regularly.

Good luck with your endeavors sir.

I've read some articles on Scientific American that contradict the supposed benefits of brain training.

I've read some articles on Scientific American that contradict the supposed benefits of brain training.

Care to expand on this? Just curious, not being sarcastic/spiteful by the way

Okay I love what everyone has been sharing, this rocks. I completely agree, and actually just read a cool article backing up all this "brain food" and productivity diet stuff! If you want an interesting read, and just to indulge in how smart you are for already knowing this, check it out here: https://thenetmencorp.com/2016/08/productivity-diet/

Back