The UFC Should Have More Divisions.

B0mbSquad

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Sure, it would "devalue" the current belts a bit, but it would be good for the sport as a whole.

5-7lbs between each weight class would be appropriate. It would help reduce the extreme weight cutting that is toxic for the sport.

I'd advocate for the HW division to maintain the same parameters.

The 15 lbs between WW and MW is absurd, as is the jump between MW and LHW. 177 and 193 lb. weight classes would be a great addition to the sport. I'd also support a 163 lb. weight class.

By having more multi-division fighters, it's easier to advertise them as prize fighters, and allows more cross-division fights to happen without it needing to be a catch-weight bout, giving the fight more gravity. This would also help the UFC prevent belt hold ups and the proliferation of interim titles.

flyweight is shallow
featherweight is pretty shallow
wmma is shallow overall
hw is shallow
mw is top heavy
and lhw is a baron wasteland

I personally dont think the ufc needs more divisions.

eh... no?

the only one I'd like to see split is HW, 60 lbs is too big a spread. someone always comes back and says the thin division would be even thinner, but IMO it's too big a disadvantage to guys like randy (and fedor) who are stuck in that range where they're not really right for either division.

Hell no...I don't want it to be like boxing where I don't know who the hell the champ is

UFC needs male 115lb and possibly male 95lb weight classes ASAP so we can find the true number 1 p4p

eh... no?

the only one I'd like to see split is HW, 60 lbs is too big a spread. someone always comes back and says the thin division would be even thinner, but IMO it's too big a disadvantage to guys like randy (and fedor) who are stuck in that range where they're not really right for either division.

225 and open weight. Done until more capable fighters come in

flyweight is shallow
wmma is shallow overall
hw is shallow
mw is top heavy

I agree that not all the divisions have the depth to support new weight classes, but Featherweight isn't shallow, it's one of the most stacked divisions.

Definitely need more women's divisions, at least 4 or 5 more with tons of ladies no one has ever heard of.

If anything they should scrap a division. Have a 130, 140, 155, 170, 185, 205, heavyweight.

I don't think a 225 class is required, and the heavyweight weight limit of 265 should be removed. I'd be happier if they just pushed 205 up a bit to 210 maybe 215.

I agree that not all the divisions have the depth to support new weight classes, but Featherweight isn't shallow, it's one of the most stacked divisions.
In terms of contenders if aldo beats holloway there really aren't any.

I used to think so but not now. Several divisions are thin as it is now. More divisions will result in many divisions being stretched even thinner. Already too many cards with barely a couple of good match ups. This would water down more cards.

In terms of contenders if aldo beats holloway there really aren't any.
Holloway, Edgar, Swanson, Lamas, KZ, Stephens, then you have young up and comers like Bektic, Yair, Doo Ho Choi, Moicano.

Aldo has beat a few of these guys, but we're talking about depth of the division rather than the contender situation of the division.

If UFC get male 115lb and possibly male 95lb weight classes then in two years the top thread on Sherdog would be

"A solid wrestling base cross-trained with thoroughbred jockey training is better than BJJ"

Sure, it would "devalue" the current belts a bit, but it would be good for the sport as a whole.

5-7lbs between each weight class would be appropriate. It would help reduce the extreme weight cutting that is toxic for the sport.

I'd advocate for the HW division to maintain the same parameters.

The 15 lbs between WW and MW is absurd, as is the jump between MW and LHW. 177 and 193 lb. weight classes would be a great addition to the sport. I'd also support a 163 lb. weight class.

By having more multi-division fighters, it's easier to advertise them as prize fighters, and allows more cross-division fights to happen without it needing to be a catch-weight bout, giving the fight more gravity. This would also help the UFC prevent belt hold ups and the proliferation of interim titles.

No friggin' way. Boxing sucks because it has a belt every 7 pounds.
It is ok for weight classes to spread out as weight goes up. Bigger guys can cut more weight than smaller guys can.

There is no real belt hold-ups. It was ok when aldo fought once a year, but Bisping is at 7 months and Conor is at 6 and people are shitting their pants.

Oh yeah definitely, that sounds like the perfect solution to what's wrong with the UFC.

Also, they should replace broccoli with bacon to combat obesity.
If you're having trouble sleeping, try 2 or 3 strong cups of coffee.
Sore back? Hunch over awkwardly while holding a 30 lb object straight out in front of you.

#P4PbadideaGOAT

No... the UFC needs less divisions. Merge FLW and BW, merge FW and LW, and move WBW, WFW and WSW to Invicta. Problem solved.

flyweight is shallow
wmma is shallow overall
hw is shallow
mw is top heavy

I think the chasm between divisions makes them more shallow. By having guys fight at their proper weight, you develop better contenders. A guy who isn't that interesting at 205 might find his home at 193. The 15 lbs between 155 and 170 lbs is a massive difference for men that small. It's the same spread as 185-205 lbs, which makes no sense when you consider how larger humans can add and shed more weight more easily. A lot of A lot of guys either have to cut too much weight, or find themselves far undersized compared to their competition.

We'd see more "cross-division" fights if the weight cuts aren't as extreme. There'd be more vibrant competition and more dream fights because bouts wouldn't be taboo the way many catch-weight fights are perceived. Belts provide incentive.

Too many guys are on hold to fight for belts that are tied up by champs not ready to defend. Too many interim belts. I think making the UFC more like boxing produces more stars and more intriguing bouts as there's more intersectionality between weight classes. More champion vs champion fights.

So you want more "money fights" and champs to dilute the value of a UFC belt?

How about no? Maybe the divisions wouldn't be so thin if the UFC would keep guys like Rory, Larkin, Bader, Bendo, etc and paid their fighters a little better overall. Trim the roster a little and focus on quality over quantity.

Will be ridiculous if they can't come to terms with Gegard but keep people like Magana around.

Um... you realize that the CSAC just passed the addition of 165-, 175-, 195- and 225-pound weight classes and licensing by weight class for fighters.

You can read all about it right here: http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/CS...nificant-New-WeightCutting-Regulations-121497

Doesn't mean shit if promotions aren't going to actually offer the divisions.

Back