The UFC/Off-Topic Thread v7

I'm not a Spanish speaker, but even I can tell the difference between Mexican, Purrto Rican, Venezuelan, and Spanish accents. Most native speakers can tell right away, at least to some extent. Sometimes they are very jusgemental.

I had an American friend who went to school in Puerto Rico (where he mastered the language), and dated a Mexican girl. Her family thought he was trashy because he spoke like a Puerto Rican, but only because he went to college there.

My girlfriend is Venezuelan, and her accent is a lot different than PR and Cuban. Their slang is completely different. It is kind of funny how much PR and Cuban is looked down upon

I'd laugh if the judges gave that one to Overeem after Werdum's stupidity over the last half of that 3rd round.

Jon Jones doing a level athlete shit.

Hey just wanted to ask you guys since this is the off topic thread, can native Spanish speakers tell what countries others are from.

This is probably a dumb question but for instance Marc, you're from Mexico, can you tell if someone is from like Guatemala or some other country just by their accent when you guys are speaking in Spanish to each other?

Cuban same question for you, can you tell who's from DR or PR by their accents? I know certain people use certain words that are different like "cono" and shit but just by their voices can you guys tell?
Yeah, people can tell somethings different. And catch words or phrases give it away like you said "Cono" is a big tell for Cubans. there's alot more to it that could write a book, the way some words are used tells you if someone was raised poor or affluent, from the ghetto or solid, education versus none, etc. I actually surprised myself last week that I still had my recognition skills being in San Diego and around primarily one type of Latinos for so long now. But me personally I can pretty much nail where someone is from for every country.
I'm not a Spanish speaker, but even I can tell the difference between Mexican, Purrto Rican, Venezuelan, and Spanish accents. Most native speakers can tell right away, at least to some extent. Sometimes they are very jusgemental.

I had an American friend who went to school in Puerto Rico (where he mastered the language), and dated a Mexican girl. Her family thought he was trashy because he spoke like a Puerto Rican, but only because he went to college there.
Yeah man, the consensus amongst most Non-PR latinos is they butcher the language and it sounds very for lack of a better word, vulgar in the way they pronounce words and say things. No to mention the dialect is different enough, that words that Mexicans have no idea of, never heard before, Puerto Ricans (and other places) use as common words. Thats pretty much what i hear from everyone, and I have a tendency to agree. Especially the slang, is completely different everywhere... HOWEVER, it all goes out the window once common speech changes to something regarding education, business or whatever. An educated person is just that, and no matter what accent or regional dialect each has it's recognized immediately. sort of like a person from the parts of the US with a real slow Southern Drawl, right away you think they may not be too bright, until you hear more out of them.
Thanks for response. I'm from upstate NY and there's a very small hispanic population up here, at least the city I'm from. It's almost all black and white people where I live, so I rarely hear anyone speak Spanish enough to be able to tell where they're from. That's pretty cool you're friend knows Spanish, I've been telling myself for years I'm gonna either go back to school and learn it or teach myself with rosetta stone or some shit. I guess it shouldn't be much difference than when you can tell that someone has an accent from a different part of America. Just so many different spanish speaking countries, I wonder how hard it is sometimes.
Just like you can tell someone is from Texas, SOME Latinos can tell what country someone is from. But its typically when they've been around a bit and have heard almost all if the accents before to begin with. For example, someone born a raised in Mexico and never left Mexico or never met someone from somewhere else will only recognize the person speaks different, but wont have a clue from where.
I can tell the difference, sometimes South America throws me off and PR and DR almost sound the same .

My wife is from the DR and I am starting to get her accent it's annoying, people asking me if I am from the DR lol
So you're starting to sing while you speak.;). I think it depends from what part of the Island though. I can tell almost to the exact city most of the time where someone is from,throughout Latin America....Been around a bit. And Im not even a native speaker.
Was on the phone with a guy just last week trying to make him a client, we were speaking Spanish, and he had to ask me where I was from cause he said i sounded in some cases, Colombian, and others things I said sounded DFMexican. I told him American, he didn't want to believe me, haha. Then I asked, and what part of Caracas did you grow up? and he was flabbergasted. Needless to say he's a client now.<GinJuice>

Man, we been knowing that. Why you think me and @Sharkey down here in the basement watching fights.
Yeah, I know, jus sayin, never ceases to amaze me the few times I take a visit.

My girlfriend is Venezuelan, and her accent is a lot different than PR and Cuban. Their slang is completely different. It is kind of funny how much PR and Cuban is looked down upon
Yes it is....LOL
Venezuelan women make me melt when they speak, oh my god!

Wow guys....just WOW!!!! I just got back from the heavies, and there are some seriously dumb motherfukers over there. Cant put together a decent argument at all!.

Their take on Conor vs Floyd is absolutely bizarre. They say things that are so misguided, but with such conviction. One guy was saying Mayweather will be confused by Conor's in-and-out style, since it's unlike anything Mayweather has seen (wtf?), and that Mayweather won't be able to adjust to Conor's MMA distance...since its going to be Floyd that has to do the adjusting to a boxing match lol

Yeah, people can tell somethings different. And catch words or phrases give it away like you said "Cono" is a big tell for Cubans. there's alot more to it that could write a book, the way some words are used tells you if someone was raised poor or affluent, from the ghetto or solid, education versus none, etc. I actually surprised myself last week that I still had my recognition skills being in San Diego and around primarily one type of Latinos for so long now. But me personally I can pretty much nail where someone is from for every country.

Yeah man, the consensus amongst most Non-PR latinos is they butcher the language and it sounds very for lack of a better word, vulgar in the way they pronounce words and say things. No to mention the dialect is different enough, that words that Mexicans have no idea of, never heard before, Puerto Ricans (and other places) use as common words. Thats pretty much what i hear from everyone, and I have a tendency to agree. Especially the slang, is completely different everywhere... HOWEVER, it all goes out the window once common speech changes to something regarding education, business or whatever. An educated person is just that, and no matter what accent or regional dialect each has it's recognized immediately. sort of like a person from the parts of the US with a real slow Southern Drawl, right away you think they may not be too bright, until you hear more out of them.

Just like you can tell someone is from Texas, SOME Latinos can tell what country someone is from. But its typically when they've been around a bit and have heard almost all if the accents before to begin with. For example, someone born a raised in Mexico and never left Mexico or never met someone from somewhere else will only recognize the person speaks different, but wont have a clue from where.

So you're starting to sing while you speak.;). I think it depends from what part of the Island though. I can tell almost to the exact city most of the time where someone is from,throughout Latin America....Been around a bit. And Im not even a native speaker.
Was on the phone with a guy just last week trying to make him a client, we were speaking Spanish, and he had to ask me where I was from cause he said i sounded in some cases, Colombian, and others things I said sounded DFMexican. I told him American, he didn't want to believe me, haha. Then I asked, and what part of Caracas did you grow up? and he was flabbergasted. Needless to say he's a client now.<GinJuice>

Yeah, I know, jus sayin, never ceases to amaze me the few times I take a visit.
Lol yeah exactly I am staring to sing !! I hate that !!!

Oh grats in your business!! Much success brother !!

@cuban23 your boy going either get the tile shot or get melted !!

I dated a Venezuelan. Beautiful, very intelligent, charming as hell, and fucking crazy. Cuidado, mi amigo.

My parents are from Mexico. I'm fluent. Sometimes I can tell which part of Mexico someone is from based on their accent (Mexico City, Monterrey, Chihuahua, Jalisco)

Their take on Conor vs Floyd is absolutely bizarre. They say things that are so misguided, but with such conviction. One guy was saying Mayweather will be confused by Conor's in-and-out style, since it's unlike anything Mayweather has seen (wtf?), and that Mayweather won't be able to adjust to Conor's MMA distance...since its going to be Floyd that has to do the adjusting to a boxing match lol
Oh man you wouldnt believe how much Im giggling right now...That shit is silly!!!

Oh man you wouldnt believe how much Im giggling right now...That shit is silly!!!

At first it sounds like they are joking, but they are dead serious.

One guy said Conor vs Floyd is like innovation vs old fashioned, because Conor is bringing "true free fighting with a flowy style" to boxing, which is stiff and stationary.

Lol yeah exactly I am staring to sing !! I hate that !!!

Oh grats in your business!! Much success brother !!
Thanks!
Yeah man I know, been speaking for over 30 years now, people ask me how, I'm like, well just like any other 30yr old born Latino, speak as well as he does. Started in school at 12yrs old, became one of my Majors, been immersed in Ecuador for a few years, Colombia, then LA:D (El Salvador North). Married an Ecuadorian in LA early 20s, we lived close to her family which consisted of an extended group of Dominican, Panamanian, Honduran, Guatemalan, Salvadorian, Argentine, Colombian, Venezuelan, Mexican and Cuban in-laws, nephews, nieces, god-kids, cousins, etc. and we ALL hung together at stuff all the time. Damn near every weekend was a Bday party, quinceanera, wedding, funeral, soccer game, NFL or just come over for a cook-out an bring some Chivas (Chuhvsss as it was pronounced)! And they FORCED me to only speak Spanish. And that's when I actually learned how to speak for real. The moment you start dreaming in Spanish, and forgetting how to say some colloquial phrase in English, you've been assimilated............
Split up with her, moved to San Diego. Married a Mexican-Lebanese! At this point I guess I am Latino.

At first it sounds like they are joking, but they are dead serious.

One guy said Conor vs Floyd is like innovation vs old fashioned, because Conor is bringing "true free fighting with a flowy style" to boxing, which is stiff and stationary.
That reminds me (true free flowing fighting)...Really want to stir things up over there, start a thread asking if Bruce Lee could beat Floyd in a Boxing match.

Stream is choppy so I can't score.

I dated a Venezuelan. Beautiful, very intelligent, charming as hell, and fucking crazy. Cuidado, mi amigo.
The good and the dangerous of dating a Latina. They're like the perfect poison, the freaking apple in Eden. I told myself a few years ago,after I slip up with my most recent ex, i was done with them and tried to stay away... Can't do it...

Whittaker clearly. 3-2 at the very least if not 4-1.

Back