The UFC Middleweight Division is Cursed

Pseudo Sane

Black Belt
Reaction score
I can't recall a division being this messed up for this long before.

From the time Bisping won the title off Rockhold on June 4, 2016, the division has just had its shit pushed in on the regular.

Lets review:

1) A weak challenger in Bisping beats heavy favourite in Luke Rockhold;

2) Bisping skips out against defending against a legit challenger in favour of fighting old, sad Dan Henderson, who nearly fucking beats him anyway;

3) Bisping then sits inactive for 392 days. During this time, both Yoel Romero (8 fight win streak) and Jacare Souza (12-1, the 1 being a controversial split decision with Romero) are denied title shots, despite their advanced age and the fact that there were no other legitimate contenders at the time. Both then get their shit pushed in by Robert Whittaker, thus killing the hype for either fighter getting a title shot.

4) Due to Bisping's horrific inactivity, despite being healthy for most of the time he is refusing to fight, Whittaker then fights Romero for the interim title and wins in a spirited fight. Hooray!

5) Rather than unify the fucking belt, Bisping then decides to fight GSP, who while a very talented fighter, is a WW. Because they love money and hate integrity, WME allows this. GSP proceeds to beat the shit out of Bisping and become the MW champion.

6) GSP promptly vacates the MW belt, leading to Bobby Knuckles being made the undisputed champ without throwing a punch. Hooray?

7) Rockhold is given a title shot off of beating David fucking Branch, because why not, right?

8) Whittaker then gets a fucking staph infection and cannot defend.

9) The UFC, in their infinite wisdom, decides to create ANOTHER interim belt, a fight between Romero (coming off a loss) and Rockhold.

10) Romero comes in heavy, and cannot lose 2.7 lbs despite weighing in twice and NEVER BEFORE MISSING WEIGHT. So only Rockhold can become the interim champion if he wins the fight.

The only way all of this could get worse is if Yoel Romero wins the fight, at which point we will have:

1) An indefinitely injured champ;
2) No interim champ;
3) No clear challengers; and
4) No rising contenders who can be hyped up as a challenge to the top 5.

All because fucking Luke Rockhold doesn't ever remember to keep his hands up, and because WME decided to let Bisping chase money fights instead of fighting contenders.

MindlessFaintBlackrhino-size_restricted.gif

TLDR: (Fucking Rockhold's inability to protect his chin) + (WME's hunger for money fights instead of quality matchups) = A total shitshow.

tenor.gif

rockhold is to blame, lost to GOAT gatekeeper bisping and it all went downhill.............

Whittaker will single handedly resurrect the MW Division.

This bullshit wouldn’t be happening if prime Anderson held the strap

The division was also soooo freaking stacked. Poor decisions by the UFC and two idiot champions irreparably screwed the division for years to come.

Bisping, GSP, WME, Rockhold, Shitlisted. Hendo gets a pass.

The stars will realign later today. Hopefully with Yoel (and Hunt) wins.

WAR YOELUNTO!!!!!!!

I can't recall a division being this messed up for this long before.

From the time Bisping won the title off Rockhold on June 4, 2016, the division has just had its shit pushed in on the regular.

Lets review:

1) A weak challenger in Bisping beats heavy favourite in Luke Rockhold;

2) Bisping skips out against defending against a legit challenger in favour of fighting old, sad Dan Henderson, who nearly fucking beats him anyway;

3) Bisping then sits inactive for 392 days. During this time, both Yoel Romero (8 fight win streak) and Jacare Souza (12-1, the 1 being a controversial split decision with Romero) are denied title shots, despite their advanced age and the fact that there were no other legitimate contenders at the time. Both then get their shit pushed in by Robert Whittaker, thus killing the hype for either fighter getting a title shot.

4) Due to Bisping's horrific inactivity, despite being healthy for most of the time he is refusing to fight, Whittaker then fights Romero for the interim title and wins in a spirited fight. Hooray!

5) Rather than unify the fucking belt, Bisping then decides to fight GSP, who while a very talented fighter, is a WW. Because they love money and hate integrity, WME allows this. GSP proceeds to beat the shit out of Bisping and become the MW champion.

6) GSP promptly vacates the MW belt, leading to Bobby Knuckles being made the undisputed champ without throwing a punch. Hooray?

7) Rockhold is given a title shot off of beating David fucking Branch, because why not, right?

8) Whittaker then gets a fucking staph infection and cannot defend.

9) The UFC, in their infinite wisdom, decides to create ANOTHER interim belt, a fight between Romero (coming off a loss) and Rockhold.

10) Romero comes in heavy, and cannot lose 2.7 lbs despite weighing in twice and NEVER BEFORE MISSING WEIGHT. So only Rockhold can become the interim champion if he wins the fight.

The only way all of this could get worse is if Yoel Romero wins the fight, at which point we will have:

1) An indefinitely injured champ;
2) No interim champ;
3) No clear challengers; and
4) No rising contenders who can be hyped up as a challenge to the top 5.

All because fucking Luke Rockhold doesn't ever remember to keep his hands up, and because WME decided to let Bisping chase money fights instead of fighting contenders.

MindlessFaintBlackrhino-size_restricted.gif

TLDR: (Fucking Rockhold's inability to protect his chin) + (WME's hunger for money fights instead of quality matchups) = A total shitshow.

tenor.gif

I love how in your narrative, you absolve GSP of any blame for begging WME to fight Bisping. Did you forget that it was Georges who asked for this fight in the first place?

Also you say GSP promptly vacated, but conveniently forget to add the reason why he vacated.....

Nuthuggers gonna nuthug...

Is normal.

I love how in your narrative, you absolve GSP of any blame for begging WME to fight Bisping. Did you forget that it was Georges who asked for this fight in the first place?

Also you say GSP promptly vacated, but conveniently forget to add the reason why he vacated.....

Nuthuggers gonna nuthug...

Is normal.

You clearly care more about GSP at this point than I do. Not mentioning why GSP vacated doesn't mean shit; whether it was for colitis, or just because he was too tired or scared to stay at MW, I don't really care. All I know is that him winning and vacating royally fucked MW's already wrecked shit.

I also honestly don't give a shit who asked for the fight, either. Both GSP and Bisping wanted it for the money. I don't really blame fighters for wanting to make money; they're the poor dumb fucks getting beat up for my entertainment. They ask for fights all the time. But it is the promoter's job to control the fighters and to make timely and appropriate matches. The UFC has utterly failed at that job and it has really, really hurt what was once one of the UFC's marquee divisions.

So fuck those money-loving hacks.

Don't forget, one of the best MW's on the planet left because Dana and WME, were allowing such nonsense to happen. Mousassi only added more elite depth to an already stackkkkked division and would have set up some amazing matches.

You clearly care more about GSP at this point than I do. Not mentioning why GSP vacated doesn't mean shit; whether it was for colitis, or just because he was too tired or scared to stay at MW, I don't really care. All I know is that him winning and vacating royally fucked MW's already wrecked shit.

I also honestly don't give a shit who asked for the fight, either. Both GSP and Bisping wanted it for the money. I don't really blame fighters for wanting to make money; they're the poor dumb fucks getting beat up for my entertainment. They ask for fights all the time. But it is the promoter's job to control the fighters and to make timely and appropriate matches. The UFC has utterly failed at that job and it has really, really hurt what was once one of the UFC's marquee divisions.

So fuck those money-loving hacks.

GSP has more money than he’ll ever need. He doesn’t charter jets, and other such nonsense. For him the fight was about increasing/cementing his legacy.

Smarten up, ffs. Willful ignorance is voluntary stupidity.

Jesse-Pinkman-jesse-pinkman-36999677-565-318.gif

GSP has more money than he’ll ever need. He doesn’t charter jets, and other such nonsense. For him the fight was about increasing/cementing his legacy.

Smarten up, ffs. Willful ignorance is voluntary stupidity.

Jesse-Pinkman-jesse-pinkman-36999677-565-318.gif

I can't tell if you like GSP or hate him. I don't really care.

I like him and think he is the greatest WW fighter ever, maybe the best fighter this young sport has ever seen, period, when you cut out the guys who got busted for PEDs. He still contributed to MW's problems. For the purposes of this thread it doesn't matter if it was willful or not, so I didn't really focus on it.

You're acting hostile, and while I respect your right to go full Sherdog, I'm not sure if you realize that this thread, on a fundamental level, is not about GSP. What it is about how the UFC has mismanaged MW abysmally.

rockhold is to blame, lost to GOAT gatekeeper bisping and it all went downhill.............
Honestly, I can comfortably blame the UFC for doing an instant rematch with Weidman instead of what should have happened. Rockhold beats Weidman on the same card Romero "beat" Jacare for the number 1 contender. Weidman wasn't some long time champ, and the fight wasn't close. A combination of the Romero fight being a robbery and both him and Jacare looking like shit during it, plus Romero popping for legitimately tainted supplements meant he couldn't take the fight, but the next person in line should have been Jacare, not Weidman. Jacare only refused cuz he was mildly injured and didn't want to be a last minute fill in, but if they booked Rockhold-Jacare 2 from the start, they could have done a comfortable timeline for both guys, and fucking nonworthy duckmachine Bisping wouldn't have gotten the chance to cast an era of darkness over the whole division.

Don't forget, one of the best MW's on the planet left because Dana and WME, were allowing such nonsense to happen. Mousassi only added more elite depth to an already stackkkkked division and would have set up some amazing matches.

Why do you keep that av? What’s the story behind it?

The UFC Middleweight Division From 2001 to 2005.
Dave Menne A weak Champion who won it comeing off a loss who then lost to
Murilo Bustamante who then was stripped of the title in 2002 when he left the UFC for Pride. And win did not have a Champion in till 2005 and that was Evan Tanner who lost to Rich Franklin.

Lol. Good post.

Before the Luke lost to Bisping everybody had their eyes on the division a line up that involved Weidman, Jac, Romero, Luke, Mousasi (was he still there?).

The divison lost two years of it's prime basically.

This is really all Chris Weidman's fault for unseating the pillar of stability known as Anderson Silva

Whittaker isn't injured anymore. Been training for 2 weeks already

I believe figh
This is really all Chris Weidman's fault for unseating the pillar of stability known as Anderson Silva

Not really. Weidman was a stable champ himself and never fought a non-contender.

Rockhold is the one who lost to a borderline journeyman and set us on the path to disaster.

Back