"The UFC has ruined itself for $4 billion dollars." - The NY Post

they made money from the mayweather fight and are going back to biz as usual.
Their only mistake was usada

The New York Post said:
Meritocracy was the bedrock principle from which the UFC built its hardcore fan base.*

*Citation needed

ts, With all due respect, you just said a whole lot of nothing.

Entire thread could be summed up in:

UFC is dying.

which imo is nonsense

How does one 'ruin themselves' for $4 Billion?

How is getting $4 Billion for anything ruining yourself?

I would 'ruin myself' for substantially less.

UFC knows hence the hedge 70/70 pay. loss to cerrone and two splits, he's lucky for the RDA fight and conor red panty night or he would probably be close to back in bellator making 50k a fight.

He makes 150/150 btw now. He's a perfect example of how UFC pay is miles ahead of Bellator if anything. If 70/70 was so "measly" he could have stayed at bellator and would never in his life see 150/150 + ppv points

I'm sure Benson Henderson and is 50k win or lose and single sponsor (his own gym) are loving Bellator's pay scale and super glad he left UFC

Again, it's all relative to the value of the company. Nobody knew the value of the company until the company sold.

You and I don't know how much Eddie's brand contributed to the UFC coffers. But the article says that once the UFC sold for 4 billion, that helped fighters...especially belt holders...put a value on their stock regardless of what you may think of their fighting style.

The article isn't wrong here.

Shame half of you won't read this because of political leanings. I'll not a fan of the post either but it's a fair and we'll written article.

Mainly about merit vs marketability. The fact that 10k to show 10k to win, pails in comparison to 4 billion dollars. Which in turn is making fighters hold out or play it safe for "money fights", further breaking down the meritocracy that the company and sport was founded on.

Nothing ground breaking here, but interesting to see in a larger media outlet.

Also, Dana is wired as saying that nothing has changed.
As it should be. Guys know what they are worth now, no excuse to just take it because now you know you were being screwed.

How does one 'ruin themselves' for $4 Billion?

How is getting $4 Billion for anything ruining yourself?

I would 'ruin myself' for substantially less.

The UFC is not the Fertittas.

Is it?

902.gif

funny they seemed to not be aware of overeem's contract (made public because of lawsuit), and the millions he made. some guys came in making alot.

Or the fact that Eddie made just $20,000 (10 win, 10 show) more as the reigning world champion in Bellator and perhaps their biggest star.
Or the fact that Eddie received a $250,000 signing bonus when he joined.
Or the fact that Eddie received PPV points, and made an additional $505,000 for his first two UFC fights and, if I understand the contract correctly, a further $3,250,000 for UFC 205 and $500,000 flat rate.

On average, Eddie Alvarez has received $809,166 per fight, and that's not including whatever PPV he earned for 211

Or the fact that Eddie made just $20,000 (10 win, 10 show) more as the reigning world champion in Bellator and perhaps their biggest star.
Or the fact that Eddie received a $250,000 signing bonus when he joined.
Or the fact that Eddie received PPV points, and made an additional $505,000 for his first two UFC fights and, if I understand the contract correctly, a further $3,250,000 for UFC 205 and $500,000 flat rate.

On average, Eddie Alvarez has received $809,166 per fight, and that's not including whatever PPV he earned for 211

None of that was the point the article was trying to make.

The point was that until their was a price value attached to the UFC, nobody knew what kind of money they could start asking for.

It's all relative to the value of the company which they didn't know until the UFC sold.

The article is not wrong here. And lol at you trying to suggest otherwise.

70/70 is not "measly" for Eddie Alvarez who was unproven and ended up being a split decision machine, who has proven to be a gate keeper at best (1 good/lucky win against RDA) when on the reverse guys going from UFC to Bellator like Benson are getting paid 50k win or lose.
It was measly given what we know now. A top 5 ufc guy should be getting 100-100k in an organization that sold for 4B. On top of that the reebok sponsorship deal was a joke meant to draw viewers, legitimize the ufc, and bump up the sale price at the expense of fighters.

Shouldn't the article be based around WME ruining themselves, by paying $4 Billion for a company with a net worth at the time of only $2 Billion?

Again, it's all relative to the value of the company. Nobody knew the value of the company until the company sold.

You and I don't know how much Eddie's brand contributed to the UFC coffers. But the article says that once the UFC sold for 4 billion, that helped fighters...especially belt holders...put a value on their stock regardless of what you may think of their fighting style.

The article isn't wrong here.

no it didn't, nothing changed in regards to pay until Conor really, and Ronda a bit.

no, this is not team sports, your draw power affects your pay not just your skill, and again he was completely unproven with wins over scrubs in Bellator. A loss to cerrone and 2 split decisions upon joining with zero draw power, he was overpaid if anything
Michael chandler is a scub.... OK you are an idiot!

It was measly given what we know now. A top 5 ufc guy should be getting 100-100k in an organization that sold for 4B. On top of that the reebok sponsorship deal was a joke meant to draw viewers, legitimize the ufc, and bump up the sale price at the expense of fighters.

He gets paid 150/150 now that he is actually top 5 lol. 70/70 for a guy who had done nothing but trade wins with roided up chandler didn't deserve more

Michael chandler is a scub.... OK you are an idiot!

Lets see chandler on USADA lol, he would be fringe top 10 in the UFC after USADA delfates him. I mean look at Eddie. a 5 round war machine in Bellator, joins UFC and he's gassed in 3 round split decisions. come on son, wake up

He gets paid 150/150 now that he is actually top 5 lol. 70/70 for a guy who had done nothing but trade wins with roided up chandler didn't deserve more
That 150k/150k is warranted now. What's deserves? There is no deserve but negotiations are based on leverage. Knowing the ufc sold for 4B provided mid to top level guys leverage.

Interesting read. Definitely something most fans were already thinking about.

That 150k/150k is warranted now. What's deserves? There is no deserve but negotiations are based on leverage. Knowing the ufc sold for 4B provided mid to top level guys leverage.

no, conor's purses provided leverage. Guys that made UFC money were already getting paid well before it sold. It was not until Conor that people started holding out, asking for more and demanding title fights.

Yes negotiations are based on leverage. Eddie could accept 70/70 with no ceiling or go back to his 50k win or lose at bellator.

Who made out better? Eddie making 150/150k now or Michael Chandler making flat 50k to beat Benson at Bellator 165?
LOL. Leverage my friend.

Typical "Sky is falling, UFC is dying" article

Been there, done that
UFC never die

How is Ronda Rousey even considered to be, let alone the pinnacle, of the old UFC?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back