The UFC doesn’t promote Stipe....

I kind of agree. The UFC always want their fighters to draw attention. But sometimes it just doesn't fit. It didn't with Stipe. Maybe both sides weren't interested enough.

So what option does the UFC has? Promote the guy they already did with no result, or promote the challenger, that everyone is already talking about?

Doesn't seem like that hard of a decision to be honest.

It's hard to promote someone who sounds like Tony Robbins.

Marketing > Fighting ability

2018 folks. Here we are.

and that’s the reason why he’s not a draw. Stipe also gets no respect and the UFC is shoving Ngannou down our throats and hoping he wins.

That seems to be the popular common belief around here leading up to the fight.

But did the UFC fail Stipe?

http://www.news-herald.com/sports/2...tipe-miocic-as-ufc-heavyweight-champ-millions

In over a year and a half since becoming champ ... The UFC had big plans for him and tried to push him right away. They set up UFC 203 in his hometown shortly after and the UFC even did him a major solid by throwing CM Punk on the card. How? Why?

UFC 203 did about 450K. Punk was probably responsible for at least 150-200K? That’s quite a few new viewers (WWE fans) tuning in to see the “Baddest man on the planet”. Then he headlined 211 which I thought was a very deep card yet it only did 300K.

So what happened?

The UFC believed that he would be marketable, his manager believed, his supporters believed and most importantly he believed he would be a major draw and deserved top money. Thing is you can’t hate promoting and expect to be a draw and earn top dollar. The UFC did their part and Stipe whether he was keeping it real by being himself or being too stubborn remains pretty much the same guy he was before he won the belt. Win or lose I’ll always respect the guy.

I’m not a UFC apologist by any means but to say they didn’t push Stipe or promote him properly is erroneous. The Stipe camp seems bitter/offended that the UFC is pushing/hyping Ngannou. Well of course they are... gotta get more than 300k buys and it’s not gonna happen by promoting Stipe or DC vs Volkan.

Solid post.

Stipe has shown 0 interest in self promotion, and even said as much. SI the UFC probably wants him gone.

That said , may the best man win.

You can't promote a man with zero personality.

You can. Just invent some story of him having the hardest punching power recorded ever on some mysterious new machine, and replay highlights of him knocking out overeem and arlovski; and on top of that put out tons of promos calling him "the scariest man alive" etc etc.

Seems to be working for ngannou.

I think people are forgetting the C stands for Circus now.

The UFC had big plans for him and tried to push him right away. They set up UFC 203 in his hometown shortly after and the UFC even did him a major solid by throwing CM Punk on the card. How? Why?

You interpret that as pushing him right away. I interpret that as having no faith in him from the start. That they thought the only way he could sell tickets is by relying on hometown support, and the only way of getting the PPV numbers was by tossing CM Punk's name into the mix. I didn't see no miniseries about "the evolution of Stipe" on perpetual rotation on FSwhatevers.

Marketing is a problem for Stipe. However, there is another issue with him. Every odd numbered year Stipe has only fought once in the UFC. While that is not that uncommon these days, UFC does not like that he has another job that be might be committed more to than the UFC.

seems like if you're someone the brass likes they will put money behind you, otherwise they will exploit you until you crumble. Champion or not.

and that’s the reason why he’s not a draw. Stipe also gets no respect and the UFC is shoving Ngannou down our throats and hoping he wins.

That seems to be the popular common belief around here leading up to the fight.

But did the UFC fail Stipe?

http://www.news-herald.com/sports/2...tipe-miocic-as-ufc-heavyweight-champ-millions

In over a year and a half since becoming champ ... The UFC had big plans for him and tried to push him right away. They set up UFC 203 in his hometown shortly after and the UFC even did him a major solid by throwing CM Punk on the card. How? Why?

UFC 203 did about 450K. Punk was probably responsible for at least 150-200K? That’s quite a few new viewers (WWE fans) tuning in to see the “Baddest man on the planet”. Then he headlined 211 which I thought was a very deep card yet it only did 300K.

So what happened?

The UFC believed that he would be marketable, his manager believed, his supporters believed and most importantly he believed he would be a major draw and deserved top money. Thing is you can’t hate promoting and expect to be a draw and earn top dollar. The UFC did their part and Stipe whether he was keeping it real by being himself or being too stubborn remains pretty much the same guy he was before he won the belt. Win or lose I’ll always respect the guy.

I’m not a UFC apologist by any means but to say they didn’t push Stipe or promote him properly is erroneous. The Stipe camp seems bitter/offended that the UFC is pushing/hyping Ngannou. Well of course they are... gotta get more than 300k buys and it’s not gonna happen by promoting Stipe or DC vs Volkan.
Stipe is not a big draw because he is not a loudmouth douch. You cant argue that he is a an exciting fighter, but he is a nice guy that lets his fighting do the talking. Same goes for Mighty Mouse.

I like Stipe and I think he's more interested in fighting and living his life than he is in being a hype job or superstar.

Back