The UFC and their failure of digital content

SinisterSpider

The weak suffer what they must
@Silver
Reaction score
The UFC, by protecting their digital content so fiercely, actually hurts their growth. (IMO)

I understand WHY they do it, but here is my reasoning on why they shouldn't.

1) Over the past 8 years or so, I've had about 100 people come up to me and ask me about the UFC / MMA. They are on the verge of becoming fans and are interested in learning more about the sport. They ask for names they should know, and fights they should watch. Like most fans, I have a list of 10 need to see fights that would turn these people into lifelong fans. (ex: Shogun Hendo 1)

By not being able to provide a youtube link to a high quality version of the fight, there's no easy way to watch this fight for the barely casual fan. They are ready to become a hardcore fan, and actively interested, but most don't have the technical know-how or care enough to search through mmaversus.com or something like that to watch it.

So they never end up watching the fights I tell them they need to watch, and either lose interest or remain a casual fan.

Huge Missed Opportunity.

2) Fan trailers ---- Those who have followed to sport long enough are familiar with NickTheFace. The guy used to make these epic trailers for fights that I'd end up watching 30 times and get extremely fired up for the fights. These are videos I could post on my facebook or text to a friend and suddenly I've exposed 2,000 potentially interested people to a 2:30 trailer for an upcoming fight.

But the UFC hated this, and would always take these trailers down. Some of the trailers had a few million views. They were that good, and that well shared. -- But the UFC takes them down and I'm no longer able to quickly promote a fight I care about to my network of casuals who MIGHT care about it.

Huge Missed Opportunity.

3) Fighter highlights / profiles. -- Unless you're a star and get a PPV headlined -- the UFC is not going to give you an embedded or any sort of countdown show. Those shows do a lot of good in helping casuals relate to a fighter or get emotionally invested. Sometimes they only show the video right before the main event, which is a miss because you'd have to be watching the event in the first place.

There should be a 3-5 minute video of (nearly) every fighter on their roster, with a simple breakdown of consistency.
1-2 Minutes explain your background / life / problems / bio / why I should care
1 minute training montage or something
1 minute of highlights of your fights

This way I can see a fighter perform and look them up and get to know them more "personally". This really helps get my girlfriend interested in the fights. If she's able to watch a little background of the fighters she can pick a fighter she wants to win and she's much more engaged in the actual fight when it's on. Otherwise she'll pretend to watch and be on her phone.

Huge Missed Opportunity.

Thoughts? Do you think the UFC is managing their digital content well?

Absolutely ridiculous how they had some of the Pride fan made highlight videos taken down. Blows my mind.

Agreed on the highlight reels. Taking down good promos was about as dumb as it gets.

The NBA is smart they make digital content a way to capture the youth; while the UFC fails to capture young fans, often because young people can't afford to be fans.

Re: 1. Acquire copies of your must-see fights, upload them to some free web space (e.g. Google Drive), link your friends to your own web folder.

Can't help you with 2 and 3, though. Leave your girlfriend to her phone and just enjoy the fights, is my advice.

the ufc regularly has best of shows and a number of other shows highlighting fights both not just on the fight network but also on fox.

These show past fights and often are lead ups to big events.

I agree that it sucks that they protect their copyrighted content but they have always controlled what they own.

the ufc regularly has best of shows and a number of other shows highlighting fights both not just on the fight network but also on fox.

These show past fights and often are lead ups to big events.

I agree that it sucks that they protect their copyrighted content but they have always controlled what they own.

No doubt, but if I wanted to get my friends interested in Jon Bones Jones to root for him on July 29th my options are rather limited.

I can hope the UFC uploads a FREE FIGHT of the fights I want to show my friends, or I can show them a highlight reel of why he's so nasty.

Currently my best option is to show them a FAN MADE TRAILER of Bones / Hendo fight that has 30 seconds of Bones being an animal.

How does the UFC not have a custom made highlight reel of arguably their #1 P4P fighter????

prior to fight week, they will have highlight shows of both DC and Jones airing on cable. They have done this for virtually every big fight that has happened in the last couple of years.

Lol at you claiming you've had over 100 people ask you about mma. No one has no one cares. Mma is an internet sport it doesn't get that much traction in real life. Your overall point is true you didn't need to lie about people asking you about mma.

they should pay for every single fight, or they arent a real fan and would never make it as a ufc fan anyway

Lol at you claiming you've had over 100 people ask you about mma. No one has no one cares. Mma is an internet sport it doesn't get that much traction in real life. Your overall point is true you didn't need to lie about people asking you about mma.
He may have a customer service job for years, i had a job where i talk to about 10 different client a day mostly male, ill ask 3 about mma.

X5x4x12.

Easily over a hundred in a year.

TS make a solid point.

The UFC, by protecting their digital content so fiercely, actually hurts their growth. (IMO)

I understand WHY they do it, but here is my reasoning on why they shouldn't.

1) Over the past 8 years or so, I've had about 100 people come up to me and ask me about the UFC / MMA. They are on the verge of becoming fans and are interested in learning more about the sport. They ask for names they should know, and fights they should watch. Like most fans, I have a list of 10 need to see fights that would turn these people into lifelong fans. (ex: Shogun Hendo 1)

By not being able to provide a youtube link to a high quality version of the fight, there's no easy way to watch this fight for the barely casual fan. They are ready to become a hardcore fan, and actively interested, but most don't have the technical know-how or care enough to search through mmaversus.com or something like that to watch it.

So they never end up watching the fights I tell them they need to watch, and either lose interest or remain a casual fan.

Huge Missed Opportunity.

2) Fan trailers ---- Those who have followed to sport long enough are familiar with NickTheFace. The guy used to make these epic trailers for fights that I'd end up watching 30 times and get extremely fired up for the fights. These are videos I could post on my facebook or text to a friend and suddenly I've exposed 2,000 potentially interested people to a 2:30 trailer for an upcoming fight.

But the UFC hated this, and would always take these trailers down. Some of the trailers had a few million views. They were that good, and that well shared. -- But the UFC takes them down and I'm no longer able to quickly promote a fight I care about to my network of casuals who MIGHT care about it.

Huge Missed Opportunity.

3) Fighter highlights / profiles. -- Unless you're a star and get a PPV headlined -- the UFC is not going to give you an embedded or any sort of countdown show. Those shows do a lot of good in helping casuals relate to a fighter or get emotionally invested. Sometimes they only show the video right before the main event, which is a miss because you'd have to be watching the event in the first place.

There should be a 3-5 minute video of (nearly) every fighter on their roster, with a simple breakdown of consistency.
1-2 Minutes explain your background / life / problems / bio / why I should care
1 minute training montage or something
1 minute of highlights of your fights

This way I can see a fighter perform and look them up and get to know them more "personally". This really helps get my girlfriend interested in the fights. If she's able to watch a little background of the fighters she can pick a fighter she wants to win and she's much more engaged in the actual fight when it's on. Otherwise she'll pretend to watch and be on her phone.

Huge Missed Opportunity.

Thoughts? Do you think the UFC is managing their digital content well?
i hear what you're saying and you make some good points.
to play devil's advocate i'm sure the UFC would respond fight pass is the answer to all your issues.
if your friends are not hardcore fans we even offer a free trial so they can watch jone's entire fight library (and cormier's too) before their fight
being a fan doesn't have to be a huge commitment like ordering every PPV, fight pass costs the same as 2 starbucks drinks per month or one lunch with a drink.

I became a fan ~ 10 years ago by watching the top fights online. You can't do that anymore, at least not easily. I never would have gotten into MMA today with how strict they protect their copyrights.

It helps if you get a new favorite fighter to go back and watch their career progression.

or you see UFC 214 by chance and you're like WOW this sport is sick!

And then you want to see other crazy fights in the past and can't see it. It hurts all the "legend" fighters because you can't see why they are legends.

He may have a customer service job for years, i had a job where i talk to about 10 different client a day mostly male, ill ask 3 about mma.

X5x4x12.

Easily over a hundred in a year.

TS make a solid point.

Hmm that's a lot of mental gymnastics to make that realistic.

The UFC have conducted their business like morons in many aspects over the years, and this is no exception. Of course, you'll always see a contingent of responses along the line of "do you even know how business works?? They're a multi million dollar company - clearly they know what they're doing!"

Being on this site means I'm too fat and lazy to search

Since they acquired Gaethje, can they have his past bouts taken down? Or those are owned outside of the nazi realm?

Agreed on the highlight reels. Taking down good promos was about as dumb as it gets.

The NBA is smart they make digital content a way to capture the youth; while the UFC fails to capture young fans, often because young people can't afford to be fans.
UFC NEEDS TO READ THIS COMMENT.

This is literally their one true problem, and could probably make money different ways than just ppv buys and fight pass subscriptions.

ts is spot on. the ufc is doing a fucking shit job of managing their digital content. all they try to do is restrict everything and shut everything down including their own fight pass users. if you don't have cable, you basically can't watch any live fight nights because they sold out the rights. once I realized that I dropped fight pass. don't forget, they also raised the price in secret at one point. the ufc is doing a crappy job at every turn.

Just order Fight Pass. Plenty of shit there, and it's cheap. Fight Pass is great

Back