The Trenches, Episode 13: Sherdog Live Chat (This Thursday at 8 PM ET/5 PM PT)

Who is the greatest featherweight of all time? Jose Aldo or Max Holloway?

• Total voters

JayPettryMMA

Danger Zone Aficionado
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score

Sherdog Main Page writers Ant Walker and Jason Burgos want to talk things over and answer your questions on a Live Video Chat series titled "The Trenches," airing Thursday at 8 PM ET/5 PM PT. They also want your thoughts on a poll posted in this thread, with today's poll question asking the following:

Who is the greatest featherweight of all time? Jose Aldo or Max Holloway?

Chime in on the conversation by voting in our poll or posting any questions you have for them.

Ant holds over 15 years of martial arts experience, training in multiple styles including Boxing, Muay Thai, Taekwondo, Kung Fu and Krav Maga, and also coached amateur MMA fighters. A former Sherdog Radio Network personality and current contributor to Sherdog.com, this self-described "gym rat" seeks to impart his knowledge and discuss all things MMA with his fellow community members.

A journalist by trade, Jason has also co-hosted and produced multiple podcasts (including the "Fight Strength Podcast" with American Top Team trainer Phil Daru) over the years. He has contributed for several publications, and was a Senior Editor for MMASucka.com before landing at Sherdog. Along with his plethora of articles based on his exclusive interviews, Jason frequently covers live events for the site, chronicling the happenings with his growing photographic talents.

Select questions from this thread will be answered in the article, and additional questions from this thread may be used in an upcoming episode of live video chat series 'The Trenches,' hosted on the forum every Thursday. Below are links to previous episodes of that series as well as his previous 'Ask Ant' articles.

The Trenches, Episode 12
The Trenches, Episode 11
The Trenches, Episode 10
The Trenches, Episode 9

The Trenches, Episode 8
The Trenches, Episode 7
The Trenches, Episode 6

The Trenches, Episode 5
The Trenches, Episode 4
The Trenches, Episode 3
The Trenches, Episode 2
The Trenches, Episode 1: UFC 229 Presser

Ask Ant 12/7
Ask Ant 11/30
Ask Ant 11/16
Ask Ant 11/9
Ask Ant 11/2: UFC 230 Edition
Ask Ant 10/26: MMA Trade Edition
Ask Ant 10/19
Ask Ant 10/12

Ask Ant 10/5
Ask Ant 9/27
Ask Ant 9/21

Ask Ant 9/14

Thank you, and please be respectful. We appreciate it.

Last edited:
Hi Ant. Great weekend for MMA with some big finishes. What did you make of Randy's?

Ant, what was your thoughts on the Shogun/Machida decision?

Any inside info on Randy?

Who do you think Tony Ferguson will fight next?

How did you score Wilder/Fury?

Which base style of martial arts is the most beautiful to watch?

Since @LouisBolanos is gone, can I have his green name?

How does this even work?
Is it literally any combat sports question?

Breakdown Mikey Garcia vs Lomachenko
And talk about how likely it is to happen

How does this even work?

Breakdown Mikey Garcia vs Lomachenko
And talk about how likely it is to happen

2 questions max. Do you want him to answer your first 2?

Hey brother,

First of all thanks for your work, been a fan for a long time. My question surrounds my favorite fighter of all time, Mirko Cro Cop. I would like to know your thoughts on his recently announced fight with Roy Nelson. Also, please discuss his potential in Bellator and Rizin. Any chance we get to see Cro Cop vs Fedor 2???!!!

Thanks in advance.

How does this even work?
Yes, but the discussion is typically tailored towards current news, as well as recent and upcoming events. The remaining evergreen questions may be saved for future articles or answered towards the end of the show. When everyone's talking about Max vs Ortega, for example, a question asking about a fantasy matchup between Townsend Saunders and Michihiro Omigawa may not make it on that week's broadcast. Even though we still have that question saved up, @BisexualMMA, it was not forgotten.

A Loma question is definitely topical because he just handled Pedraza.

Yes, but the discussion is typically tailored towards current news, as well as recent and upcoming events. The remaining evergreen questions may be saved for future articles or answered towards the end of the show. When everyone's talking about Max vs Ortega, for example, a question asking about a fantasy matchup between Townsend Saunders and Michihiro Omigawa may not make it on that week's broadcast. Even though we still have that question saved up, @BisexualMMA, it was not forgotten.

A Loma question is definitely topical because he just handled Pedraza.

Understandable. You don't want open with the big guns.

Do you think Artem Lobov should move up in weight to regain the KO power he displayed in TUF? He's too slow for his current weight and appears to have zero power (his only weapon). - Is a move to ONE the rightmove for him?

Gunnar Nelson - He came back from a loss that in his mind was due to cheating (eye pokes) and lost the first round against ccowboyafter being struck in the back of the great and having his takedown stopped by a huge fence grab. - Do you think he deliberately tried to cut him up with that elbow from hell to send a message to future opponents who may think they can get away with dirty tactics due to his stoic expression and unwillingness to complain to the ref mid fight? And if so, do you think his next opponent will keep it in mind?

Sorry if those seem like multiple questions. I'm unfamiliar with the whole ask ant thing but I'll be sure to check it out when I see it

Sorry if those seem like multiple questions. I'm unfamiliar with the whole ask ant thing but I'll be sure to check it out when I see it
It's perfectly fine, we will sift through the questions when it comes time and they will make the determination of which ones to run.

Ant, do you think if UFC were based out of a country less offended about everything that WMMA would have a chance of being sent back to Invicta

You list his background in TMA, so should we ask about that or about pro combat sports?

What is the recipe behind successfully going up in weight? At UFC 231 we saw Thiago Santos destroy another LHW body -- while Joanna [Last Name Unprounouncable] found herself outpowered and outwrestled by a bigger woman, despite having the best TDD in WMMA. Is there any rime or reason to all of this?

Should other fighters adopt a persona like Colby Covington's so that Dana will like them?

What do you make of the UFC cancelling 233... seems like they are putting a lot into the big ESPN ESPN+ push and have thinned themselves out.

My neighbor is a raging alcoholic and likes to wrestle squirrels when he's drunk. Im wondering what technique would you recommend when fighting multiple squirrels?

My neighbor is a raging alcoholic and likes to wrestle squirrels when he's drunk. Im wondering what technique would you recommend when fighting multiple squirrels?

Go for the nuts.

Do you find it just and fair that the UFC is modeling a part of a scripted identity after the WWE? You're easily a step closer to the rankings if you're a striker that talks shit and the suites try as much as possible to design an easier path to a championship and to take it so far as to leap frog a tough division so a certain person gets unwarranted title shots and to face a brawler at LW even though the FW coming up already has the reach advantage and pin-point striking to make a win like that seem very feasible while acting like the small guy is going to do a monumental task and the ignorant casual TMZ press galore eat up the two title manufactured fiasco. It started without ever running the gauntlet of killers that's your own size and in your own current division. You just skip the line like a free pass at Disneyworld. Then the wait so long for the finally its happening Khabib-Tony fight only to be cancelled again which foiled their plan to do anything to keep Khabib from smashing this No.1 Bullshit Irish fella. The smashing of the Smoke & Mirrors of Mcgregor finally took place when they failed to knock down a threatening contender. His worst nightmare got to him after all those other matches fell through. The UFC had one card up their sleeves at all times and that's Herb Dean. He would have stopped the fight if It was Conor pummeling Khabib but only landing 2 or 3 punches would've been enough for that moron. It's fortunate for fight fans and the truth that those shady actions never came to pass when there was nowhere left to run. Conors a middle of the pack LW that will never touch any real greatest discussion again. Khabib ruined him bad but combine that with the Diaz choke and you have an over the top McGregor. If he doesn't humble himself now everything will be an act from now on, even if he's serious. You lost some serious credibility.

When Nurmagomedov was pummelling Conor on top of his Proper 12 ad it gave me a laugh. Do you think this bare faced favoritism will spread further throughout the company and what a person has to have besides their skill to be even recognized or do you think the realism and in ring performances of the fights themselves involving superior skill

The next episode of The Trenches will start in an hour and 45 minutes from now, so be sure to get your questions in! Also, don't forget to vote in the poll, where we want to know who you think the greatest featherweight of all time is between Jose Aldo and Max Holloway!

Back