The Top Ten World

TCE

"That's fucking illegal"
Pink Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, another one of my threads.

I haven’t made a thread in awhile, and this one is completely different to my usual animal threads.

As I always state, this list isn’t going to be perfect, so I always encourage people to make their own top ten-twenty lists with their own research. This is the best I came up with, with my own knowledge and as you know, I am very involved with animals. Please do not take these lists so seriously and just enjoy them for what they are, considering they are just meant to be a bit of fun. With what I’ve studied over the years, I always want to show everyone my own research so it’s all in good nature.

This list is in no particular order, so I haven’t labelled them with numbers.

Many animals contribute to Filial Cannibalism (consumes their own infants)/Intrauterine Cannibalism (consumes their own eggs)/Self-Cannibalism/ Paedo****y (“eating of children”) /Sexual Cannibalism, even mammals such as chimpanzees (highest rate of a mammal that does filial cannibalism), dogs, dolphins, hamsters, pigs, lions, leopards etc. Short tailed crickets demonstrate self-cannibalism by eating their own wings, some species of octopus will eat their own tentacles in distress or hunger. And many fish such as the Orange Chromide act in paedo****y, and lamnoid sharks and fire salamanders do Intrauterine Cannibalism.

If none of the images work for you, please let me know, and I’ll change them, thanks.

The Top Ten World’s Most Bizarre Cannibalistic Behaviour in the Animal Kingdom

Emperor Scorpion
X9tA0GSHW-emperor_scorpion_2.jpg

The females are particularly aggressive towards the males, in some cases. Like some species of spider, the females sometimes eat the males before, during or after mating. Other species of scorpion have been known to do this as well.

North American Rat Snake
2623393090_d37b523f24_o.jpg

Rat snakes have been known to show self-cannibalism behaviour. One captive snake attempted to consume itself twice, dying in the second attempt. Another wild rat snake was found having swallowed about two-thirds of its body.

Green Anaconda
20090220141525.jpg

Cannibalism among green anacondas is well documented, most recorded cases involving a larger female consuming a smaller male. While the exact reason for this is not understood, scientists cite several possibilities, including the dramatic sexual dimorphism in the species, and the possibility that a female anaconda requires additional food intake after breeding to sustain the long period of gestation. The nearby male simply provides the opportunistic female a ready source of nutrition.

Redback Spider
australian-spiders-redback2.jpg

The redback spider is one of only two animals to date where the male has been found to actively assist the female in sexual cannibalism. In the process of mating, the much smaller male somersaults to place his abdomen over the female's mouthparts. In about two of three cases, the female fully consumes the male while mating continues. Males which are not eaten die of their injuries soon after mating. Sacrifice during mating is thought to confer two advantages to the males. The first is the eating process allows for a longer period of copulation and thus fertilisation of more eggs. The second is females which have eaten a male are more likely to reject subsequent males. Although this prohibits the possibility of future mating for the males, this is not a serious disadvantage, because the spiders are sufficiently sparse that only 20% of males ever find a potential mate during their lifetimes. Approximately 65% in cases, the female eats the male. Black widow spiders have been given their name due to people believing they carry the same traits as other spiders, but in fact, the three species of North American black widows do not usually kill the male. Males can sometimes even live in the web of a female for a while without being harmed in any way. That’s in no way saying that they don’t, because the females have been known to kill the males, just less common than the redback.

European Velvet Spider
6335585458_fb61d4ed34_z.jpg

Not only does the female eat the male (although this doesn’t happen as often as the redback), the female’s offspring eats their own mother alive as well. Not much other than that has been studied on these spiders but they are so far, the only animals to actually do this, and it’s only in this velvet spider specie, none of the others. Although, the European tube-dwelling spiders also eat their mothers, but only if she has died before they have hatched.

Last edited:
Six-Spotted Fishing Spider
46123244.TwelveSpottedFishingSpider.jpg

Cannibalism does occur in these spiders as well during mating. A female in need of additional energy and nutrients for egg development would choose to consume the closest nutritional source even if this meant cannibalizing a potential mate. In American grass spiders and tarantula wolf spiders (Lycosa tarantula), a significant increase in fecundity, egg cases size, hatching success and survivorship of offspring has been observed when hungry females choose to cannibalize smaller males before copulating with larger, genetically superior males. This reproductive success was largely due to the increased energy uptake by cannibalizing males and investing that additional energy in the development of egg cases size and quality. The adaptive foraging hypothesis has been criticized because males are considered poor meals when compared to crickets; however, recent findings discovered males of the hogna helluo, a species of wolf spider, have nutrients crickets’ lack, including various proteins and lipids. Females have a higher protein diet when cannibalizing males than when consuming only crickets. Further studies show that female spiders with high-protein/low-lipid diets resulting from sexual cannibalism may produce eggs of greater egg energy density (yolk investment). Jumping spiders are another that has done cannibalism.

Nursery-Web Spider
Nursery-web-spider.jpg

They are spiders of the family Pisauridae, which also include fishing spiders (like the one above), raft spiders and the European Pisaura mirabilis. Some species of the P. mirablis feign death to avoid being cannibalized by a female prior to copulation. When males feign death, their success in reproduction depends on the level of aggressiveness the female displays. They remain still while holding the food gift in their mouths. When the female approaches and tries to take the food away, the male springs back to life and attempts to mate. The strategy of playing dead more than doubles a male's odds of successfully achieving copulation, from 40% to 89%. This is an example of a behaviour originally evolved to ward off predators being adapted to a new purpose

Praying Mantis
praying-mantis_670_600x450.jpg

Sexual cannibalism is common among mantises in captivity, and under some circumstances may also be observed in the field. The female may begin feeding by biting off the male’s head (as they do with regular prey), and if mating has begun, the male’s movements may become even more vigorous in its delivery of sperm. The reason for sexual cannibalism has been debated, with some considering submissive males to be achieving a selective advantage in their ability to produce offspring. This theory is supported by a quantifiable increase in the duration of copulation among males who are cannibalized, in some cases doubling both the duration and the chance of fertilization. This is further supported in a study where males were seen to approach hungry females with more caution, and were shown to remain mounted on hungry females for a longer time, indicating that males actively avoiding cannibalism may mate with multiple females. The act of dismounting is one of the most dangerous times for males during copulation, for it is at this time that females most frequently cannibalize their mates. This increase in mounting duration was thought to indicate that males would be more prone to wait for an opportune time to dismount from a hungry female rather than from a satiated female that would be less likely to cannibalize her mate. Some consider this to be an indication that male submissiveness does not inherently increase male reproductive success, rather that more fit males are likely to approach a female with caution and escape. The false garden praying mantis, the males approach the female either from a "slow mounting from the rear" or a "slow approach from the front" position to remain undetected. The male alters his approach through the utilization of the surrounding windy conditions, thus the risk of facing cannibalization is reduced. Also, the Japanese giant mantis does pretty much the same thing, the male alters his approach utilizing the conditions. The male attempts to avoid detection by approaching the female when the wind impairs her ability to hear him. Some species of the Chinese mantis has also been reserved to demonstrate cannibalism.

Orb-Weaver Spider
45-golden-orb-weaver-spider-back.jpg

Research has shown that in the female orb-weaver spiders, in the family Araneidae, female aggressiveness had no effect on the likelihood of her cannibalizing a potential mate; male aggressiveness and male-male competition determined which male the female would cannibalize. Males with aggressive characteristics were favoured and had more chance of mating with a female. The risk of cannibalism becomes greatly reduced when opportunistic mating is practiced. Opportunistic mating has been characterized in numerous orb-weaving spider species, such as Nephila fenestrata, where the male spider waits until the female is feeding or distracted, and then proceeds with copulation; this greatly reduces the chances of cannibalization. This distraction can be facilitated by the male’s presentation of nuptial gifts, where they provide a distracting meal for the female in order to prolong copulation and increase paternity. Sexual cannibalism has impaired the ability of the orb-weaving spider, N. fenestrata, to perform mate guarding. If a male successfully mates with a female, he then exhibits mate guarding, inhibiting the female from re-mating, thus ensuring his paternity and eliminating sperm competition. Guarding can refer to the blockage of female genital openings to prevent further insertion of a competing male or physical guarding from potential mates. Guarding can decrease female re-mating by 50%. Males who experience genital mutilation can sometimes exhibit the "gloves off" hypothesis which states that a male’s body weight and his endurance are inversely proportional. Thus when a male’s body weight decreases substantially, his endurance increases as a result, allowing him to guard his female mate with increased efficiency. Also, a species of golden silk orb-weaver, Nephila pilipes, mate binding is very common. This refers to a pre-copulatory courtship behavior where the male deposits silk onto the abdomen of the female while simultaneously massaging her in order to reduce her aggressive behavior. This action allows for initial and subsequent copulatory bouts. While both chemical and tactile cues are important factors for reducing cannibalistic behaviors, the latter functions as a resource to calm the female. Additional hypotheses suggest that male silk contains pheromones which seduce the female into submission. However, silk deposits are not necessary for successful copulation. The primary factor in successful subsequent copulation lays in the tactile communication between the male and female spider that results in female acceptance of the male. The male mounts the posterior portion of the female’s abdomen, while rubbing his spinnerets on her abdomen during his attempt at copulation. Mate binding was not necessary for the initiation of copulation in the golden orb-weaving spider, except when the female was resistant to mating. Subsequent copulatory bouts are imperative for the male’s ability to copulate due to prolonged sperm transfer, therefore increasing his probability of paternity

Sea Squirt
sea-suirt.jpg

There is evidence of certain animals digesting their own nervous tissue when they transition to a new phase of life, such as the sea squirt (with a tadpole-like shape) which also contains a ganglion 'brain' in its head, which it digests after attaching itself to a rock and becoming stationary, forming an anemone-like organism. This has been used as evidence that the purpose of brain and nervous tissue is primarily to produce movement.

Last edited:
Why did I click on this thread? Fuck!!

Awesome. Love this stuff.

The footage of sharks consuming eggs while in uterto is pretty amazing.

all gross animals...taking "I'ma fuck you til you love me" to a whole new level.

So if you were an Insect you should sincerely pray u are a female

I would hate to be a spider and have to f*** another spider, then have it eat me by my stomach...

I like how it's all these spiders, insects, and snakes, then at the end.......sea squirt lol

love these threads!!!

Whacky. You'd think that canabalism would lead to more diseases and what not

I'd stomp out a spider,I'd stomp out a scorpion.but I will not mess with a snake

Spiders: You know you're a hated specie when your own kind eats you for procreating.

The North American Rat Snake is all like "infinite sustenance, amidoinitryt?"

tumblr_mjd8dtRt9m1qzkukuo1_1280.jpg

putting an extra layer of duct tape around my window's ac unit tonight.....

Good read. Thanks TS.

Love the colors on that Sea Squirt.

I knew there were gays in the animal kingdom but this is the first time I am realizing that feminism is rampant in there too.

Back