The time when John Danaher stole Joe Rogan's soul on his own podcast.

Two dudes who never competed at the highest level but think they know everything about everything.

I'd rather listen to Callen and Schaub talk about how big each other's dicks are.

Danaher is an academic that was studying at Columbia, accidentally stumbled onto BJJ, and made a career of it. So he teaches BJJ with the Socratic method, like a professor of law, philosophy, etc. — asking pointed questions to try to lead the student to discover the answer, rather than just telling the student what he knows.

It was funny to watch Joe squirm, but belittling Joe wasn’t Danaher’s intention. It’s just how he teaches, and Joe had enough respect for him to play along.
That's how I saw it. Sometimes though a good professor knows when to just answer the question instead of leaving it out there.

I've seen the Tyson episode more than once. That's what I'm referencing when I say he talks around experts. He spent large parts of the show throwing out ridiculous crap like the "astronaut walking in front of the flag"...he didn't admit that he was full of shit until later. Which is part of what makes Joe irritating. He's loud and insistent on his dumbest beliefs, then once he realizes he's wrong, he buries the issue or even acts like he never said it.
You just described 95% of the human population, very few people truly engage skeptical thinking so it seems like you’re expecting Joe to behave like a scientist when I think the fact he stopped pushing his BS is good enough. He still sells snake oil but there is no comparison to Joe pre vs post-Tyson

I disagree, he is very imprecise at many points. "What do you see?" for example is very non specific. "What bit am i looking at?" was Joe's response.

He's very clear and precise with his explanations, but comes across almost arrogant and dismissive with his non specific questions which he knows will illicit an 'I don't know' response.

It's like saying to someone: "What am i thinking?" then smiling arrogantly when they don't know.

Most of the questions asked were very answerable, I just don't think Joe is sitting around think about Jiu Jitsu anymore lol

Apparently he always wears one. Every interview I've ever seen of him he's wearing a rash guard whether it's taking place in a gym or not, and supposedly he went to Matt Serra's wedding wearing one. I think the word for guys like him is eccentric.

IIRC he is OCD, or has a similar diagnose.
So there is an explanation for some of his madness.

I don't like him.

Sure he's a great coach, but stuck up, arrogant people that try too hard like that irk me. I didn't watch this specific video, but if its the same one about Gordon vs Cyborg, on at least 3 seperate occasions he arrogantly said " this is when I knew the match was over and Gordon won", and then smugly kept quizzing Rogan over it. He just comes off as an arrogant douche.

I'm by nature a pretty humble person even when I do something very good. I use some self depreciating humor and generally don't enjoy putting people down, so maybe its just clash of personalities.

LOL. You know calling your self humble and going about when you do good stuff... Is not very humble...

wow first 2 minutes and I can't stand Danaher
First, i dont know if I'm an asshole, but I can't stand when ppl say "Ok?" after saying a sentence/point

he asks Joe "why BJJ chooses to start on the ground?"
Joe: "all started out of Judo"
D: "that's the historical reason, but whats the mechanical reason"
Joe: "you can control ppl better on the ground"
D: "lomachenko can control ppl in standing position"
Joe: "yes in boxing if you're only in boxing"
D: "but...why the ground?"

follows up with 10 more questions, finally drawing comparisons to javelin throwers in Olympics and cowboys branding horses.
"what would happen if javelin throwers threw it from their knees?"
Joe: "...it wouldnt be so good..."

jesus shut the fuck up

You just described 95% of the human population, very few people truly engage skeptical thinking so it seems like you’re expecting Joe to behave like a scientist when I think the fact he stopped pushing his BS is good enough. He still sells snake oil but there is no comparison to Joe pre vs post-Tyson
Most people aren't loud and insistent on their dumb beliefs. Especially not speaking in person. Joe went around in interviews talking about the moon landing being fake and even "debated" an astronomer about it, and he cried over Ronda Rousey and said she was a mythical figure.

danaher clearly has bad social skills but his method of conversation isn't as bad as people think it is

im not saying hes on the level of socrates or plato by any means, but he absolutely does emulate that style of questioning, and only uneducated ignoramuses see it as "stealing his soul"
The point of the Socratic Method is to improve understanding, not to try to make other people look stupid or ask vague questions that actually obscure the point.

...... Which is part of what makes Joe irritating. He's loud and insistent on his dumbest beliefs, then once he realizes he's wrong, he buries the issue or even acts like he never said it.
Sounds like people who watch Fox News/Breitbart.

Danaher was definitely arrogant and condescending at multiple points in their discussion, but at the same time I found it fascinating and very thought provoking. His thought process is very intriguing and at points eye-opening, but I think he could achieve the same purpose of educating without being as egotistical.

I had to turn off this podcast after 10 minutes. I'm sure Danaher is a genius when it comes to BJJ, but I hate people that ask open ended questions and then only accept their answer as the single correct one. That shit reeks of smugness.

I would like to order precisely one large pizza. Thin sliced pepperoni and 2.4 cups of cheese sprinkled evenly leaving 1.2 inches away from the crust line. Delivery will be exactly on time or double trouble will ensue.

Do you know why? Because I can...

Click.
This is top draw! When I read double trouble in the middle of that sentence I almost cried LOL!

He's definitely an oddball and gives off a super-creepy vibe. He just looks like a pervert or serial killer or something.

Here's a legit quote from an interview:

"I like to have my room arranged in such a way that the first and last thing I see every day—when I wake in the morning, when I go to sleep at night—are my blades next to me. They’re a daily reminder of what we do. When I try to get outside of jujitsu, it’s almost always done through sex, but I can’t really talk about that.”

There's no question that he's good at teaching people to win BJJ competitions.
Wow, that is frightening lol.

Back