The time when John Danaher stole Joe Rogan's soul on his own podcast.

Danaher looks like the kind of guy whose basement you'd check when children or pizza delivery men* go missing.

*made addition

Not only that, he is ALWAYS IN A RASH GUARD. Try and find a picture where he isn't.
Of course dude, he never knows when he's gonna need to grapple a captive.

"If you stay ready you don't have to get ready"

Him and Cruz as commentating duo?!
bork1}

Holy shit can you imagine? The universe would self combust in a self righteous explosion of arrogance, sanctimonious douche-baggery of epicly pompous proportions

"Nice punch there"
"Technically, that was a left hook, not a punch"
"Left hooks are colloquially refered to as punches"
"False. A punch is thrown at a more direct angle, with goal to cause structural damage to the frontal fascia of the facial structure."
"Incorrect and you couldn't be more wrong. I know what I'm talking about and that was a punch, I happened to have landed quite a few of them in my MMA career"
** Danaher creepily stares at Cruz**
"Tell me Dominick, at what point did this match's conclusion occur"
"It hasn't yet"
"False. it happened the moment that left hook almost connected with his opponent, you can clearly see the subtle twitch of his left eyebrow indicating his mental and emotional exhaustion and acceptance of defeat"

Last edited:
Does he go out in public like that? Neon green rash guard.

Danaher is an academic that was studying at Columbia, accidentally stumbled onto BJJ, and made a career of it. So he teaches BJJ with the Socratic method, like a professor of law, philosophy, etc. — asking pointed questions to try to lead the student to discover the answer, rather than just telling the student what he knows.

It was funny to watch Joe squirm, but belittling Joe wasn’t Danaher’s intention. It’s just how he teaches, and Joe had enough respect for him to play along.

exactly! you restore my faith in Sherdog lol

Danaher = Plato
Rogan = Meno

sometimes it worked quite well, and Rogan followed where he was going...but IIRC, many times Danaher was just too vague with his line of questioning, which didn't really allow Rogan to 'discover' the correct answers in that same way.

an awesome podcast, for sure. Danaher exemplifies the difference between just learning something (even at a very high level) and having a more conceptual, bigger picture understanding.

Jesus, John Danahers wouldn't need to choke me to put me to sleep, he'd just need to talk.

we would enter the cage and he would say out the reason why fighting him is futile and my corner would throw in the towel

If Danaher and Rutten agreed to a street fight, who you got?

Now, joe... why do we talk?

To communicate ideas?

Oh, joe.

I don't know what his stand up experience is, but i always think it strange when a seemingly pure BJJ guy acts so arrogant, as he'd more than likely get sparked cold with one punch in an mma or streetfight, rendering his entire art form useless.

I imagine him lying in hospital explaining slowly to a nurse why their method of applying his saline drip was imperfect.

Grapplers almost always win street fights. MMA is a different story.

If Danaher and Rutten agreed to a street fight, who you got?
Bas would smash him. Bas knows crazy street fighting techniques like kicking in the balls and grabbing objects to smash with. “I grab de head and hit it off the light post, da doing da doing now you are knocked out”.

It just seemed like he was arrogantly needling Joe. Like someone else on this board said , its like constantly asking someone "what am I thinking" and when they get it wrong, being smug and arrogant about it. I dont think it means your smart or have a high IQ, it just means you're a douchebag
He may have layed it on extra thick because he was on camera with a widely viewed audience and this was his moment for his brand/persona to shine. His brand being the mad genius bjj instructor.

Lots of drugs, roidhead, extremely immature, thinks man never went to the moon, brings on experts on his show and talks around them in the most ridiculous ways, makes quasi-racist comments and jokes, attacked Carlos Mencia for stealing jokes but tried to explain it away when Amy Schumer did the same, publicly humiliated Brendan Schaub on the air for his difficulties in his fight career (and I don't even like Schaub)... but the most egregious was his propaganda campaign claiming Ronda Rousey (an intolerable human being with laughable striking) was a perfect 10 looks-wise and literally a once-ever superhero athlete.

He literally cried over her on the air. It was completely insane and made no sense whatsoever, and he even attacked people who didn't agree. To this day no one can figure out what the fuck was going on in his head during that period and he's never explained it or apologized.

His show is fun to listen to otherwise, but he just kind of slowly grates on you over time. So it's fun to see somebody shit on him for awhile.

Clearly you haven’t seen the episode where Neil DeGrasse Tyson straightens him out on all the BS conspiracy stuff. Opened Joes eyes and altered hi perception in a very positive way. Rogan recently had Pat Miletich on his program and Miletich was full of tinfoil-hat wearing nonsense and Joe didn’t take the bait, pre-Tyson Rogan would have ate it up.

exactly! you restore my faith in Sherdog lol

Danaher = Plato
Rogan = Meno

sometimes it worked quite well, and Rogan followed where he was going...but IIRC, many times Danaher was just too vague with his line of questioning, which didn't really allow Rogan to 'discover' the correct answers in that same way.

an awesome podcast, for sure. Danaher exemplifies the difference between just learning something (even at a very high level) and having a more conceptual, bigger picture understanding.
Yeah, Sherdoggers gonna Sherdog. Funny, there are people ITT that are annoyed with Danaher, while Joe took it in stride like an eager student.

When Danaher asked a question that didn’t work, Joe just said, “I don’t know, tell me,” and they moved on. In a real class, the professor would refine the question or call on someone else. Too bad that Edgy wasn’t there.

He's definitely an oddball and gives off a super-creepy vibe. He just looks like a pervert or serial killer or something.

Here's a legit quote from an interview:

"I like to have my room arranged in such a way that the first and last thing I see every day—when I wake in the morning, when I go to sleep at night—are my blades next to me. They’re a daily reminder of what we do. When I try to get outside of jujitsu, it’s almost always done through sex, but I can’t really talk about that.”

There's no question that he's good at teaching people to win BJJ competitions.

I know the quote, you made the last sentence up.

I disagree, he is very imprecise at many points. "What do you see?" for example is very non specific. "What bit am i looking at?" was Joe's response.

He's very clear and precise with his explanations, but comes across almost arrogant and dismissive with his non specific questions which he knows will illicit an 'I don't know' response.

It's like saying to someone: "What am i thinking?" then smiling arrogantly when they don't know.

Are you stupid? He wants to see if Rogan can see for him self whats happening. You seem very insecure over all.

That was fucking painful. His fucking mumbling combined with the constant swallowing and his mouthful of saliva sloshing around as he talked....

Are you stupid? He wants to see if Rogan can see for him self whats happening. You seem very insecure over all.

A) He isn't Joe's teacher, it's not his place to 'test him'. He's immediately positing himself as superior to Joe by doing so.
B) He asked extremely non specific questions, one's that were almost impossible to answer. "What are you seeing" for example is way too broad a question to be helpful in any way. "I'm seeing a twat in a rashguard with an unconvincing comb over" for example would be a correct answer, but not useful to deconstructing technique.
C) His general behaviour during the segments here either suggest arrogance, autism, or any other form of lack of social skills. He arrogantly, and with no social pleasantries says things like "Continue"
as if he's talking down to a dog when he is asking Joe's assistant to restart the footage.

If stupidity and arrogance don't annoy you, that's probably because you are stupid and arrogant yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shawn_bogart
Back