The time when John Danaher stole Joe Rogan's soul on his own podcast.

People who don't know jiu jitsu find it borring because of their ignorance. I had a friend like this. Took him with me to the gym, gave him private lessons, and he no longer finds it borring.

It was boring because hes boring. I listen to podcasts everyday, different platforms, different guests. Ive only shut off a podcast because it was terrible a few times. One time happened to be that episode with Danaher. It was so cringe I couldnt finish it.

I listen to many shows where im not exactly an expert on the subjects, and im still entertained, so your theory that its because of ignorance is wrong. Hes pretentious and boring imo.

And that goddamn fake accent. Didn’t he grow up in Canada?

Overall I found it interesting. Some points could have been explained more concisely, but he aims for true understanding rather than listing facts.

I can understand why people found him condescending, as he probably enjoyed toying with Joe a bit there. Still, he had something to teach and I learned a lot from the breakdown.

There have been times in real life where complete strangers have taken that same master/student approach with some topic I had no true interest in (when I was making simple conversation), and I don't have time to feed someone's ego in that way.

It was boring because hes boring. I listen to podcasts everyday, different platforms, different guests. Ive only shut off a podcast because it was terrible a few times. One time happened to be that episode with Danaher. It was so cringe I couldnt finish it.

I listen to many shows where im not exactly an expert on the subjects, and im still entertained, so your theory that its because of ignorance is wrong. Hes pretentious and boring imo.
Wouldn't say pretentious is the right word but I get why people don't enjoy his method of explaining/teaching.

7:14 he tells Joe 'correct' and arrogantly takes a sip of water. Camera cuts back to Joe who looks about ready to punch Danaher

The problem was being smug just because you are good at something is that there is probably somebody even better than you out there. If not now, eventually. And when that person turns out to be kind and outgoing, then you just look like a jackass.

Ha. Yes, academic types can be frustrating. He was trying to get Joe to think about why you go to the ground, instead of telling him — textbook Socratic method. Thanks for timestamping.

I suppose I’m cutting him some slack since I have a soft spot for academic types, as my sister is a professor. Spending time in a room of PhDs can be fascinating, but sometimes I need a break.

Danaher is fascinating because he basically made a dissertation on BJJ, while becoming an expert — pretty unique as academics aren’t usually so physical. He’s an intellectual who is at his core, a meathead.
It's a teaching methodology to not give someone the answers but allow them to try to find it themselves. People are often offended by this methodology but in my experience these same people haven't been exposed to great teachers. Intelligent people don't worry about their pride while trying to learn.

It's a teaching methodology to not give someone the answers but allow them to try to find it themselves. People are often offended by this methodology but in my experience these same people haven't been exposed to great teachers. Intelligent people don't worry about their pride while trying to learn.
Eh, I went to one of the best law schools in the country and Danaher's teaching skills aren't anything special. The proper application of the Socratic method allows the listener to enter the mind of the teacher in a way that simulates / solicits the proper analysis. Danaher is far too sloppy.

Yes I must be a dropout because I didnt want to listen to a pretentious bjj coach who is annoying as shit
You realize the difference here is that he's not in a classroom, teaching something for the nth time. Instead he's responding to an unknown barrage of questions the best he can. Teaching really well requires time and practice to hone those skills and Danaher wasn't at Joes show to teach he was there to be interviewed. Give him multilpe attempts at the very same explanation and I'd bet he'd improve dramatically. The proof is in the pudding, the guy has absolutely revolutionized grappling and clearly knows what he's talking about so I find it funny that a bunch of Sherdoggers are being pedantic with the METHOD that he uses to explain his revolutionary ways. Stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime I suppose. While you guys debate all of this shit that doesn't matter I'm over here like "That's some really good shit, can't wait to use it on the best wrestler at my gym"
Good info > my pride

Why does Joe deserve it? Apparently he did something in the past 2 years? What happened specifically?
Lots of drugs, roidhead, extremely immature, thinks man never went to the moon, brings on experts on his show and talks around them in the most ridiculous ways, makes quasi-racist comments and jokes, attacked Carlos Mencia for stealing jokes but tried to explain it away when Amy Schumer did the same, publicly humiliated Brendan Schaub on the air for his difficulties in his fight career (and I don't even like Schaub)... but the most egregious was his propaganda campaign claiming Ronda Rousey (an intolerable human being with laughable striking) was a perfect 10 looks-wise and literally a once-ever superhero athlete.

He literally cried over her on the air. It was completely insane and made no sense whatsoever, and he even attacked people who didn't agree. To this day no one can figure out what the fuck was going on in his head during that period and he's never explained it or apologized.

His show is fun to listen to otherwise, but he just kind of slowly grates on you over time. So it's fun to see somebody shit on him for awhile.

treated like dirt? thats not how i see it... youve got one guy teaching another guy. not very healthy to see a student/teacher dynamic like that lol
I'm referring to moments like this...

You realize the difference here is that he's not in a classroom, teaching something for the nth time. Instead he's responding to an unknown barrage of questions the best he can. Teaching really well requires time and practice to hone those skills and Danaher wasn't at Joes show to teach he was there to be interviewed. Give him multilpe attempts at the very same explanation and I'd bet he'd improve dramatically. The proof is in the pudding, the guy has absolutely revolutionized grappling and clearly knows what he's talking about so I find it funny that a bunch of Sherdoggers are being pedantic with the METHOD that he uses to explain his revolutionary ways. Stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime I suppose. While you guys debate all of this shit that doesn't matter I'm over here like "That's some really good shit, can't wait to use it on the best wrestler at my gym"
Good info > my pride

You guys are too much. Just start a fan club already

Imagine being around that holier than thou self-absorbed plonker all day..

"Taking it to the ground stops quick explosive movement"

1v2fsdsobb101.gif

Cool story, breh

Maybe it's a clash of personalities but probably the average person would respond a lot better to somebody like you than somebody like him who "wears his IQ on his sleeve".

It just seemed like he was arrogantly needling Joe. Like someone else on this board said , its like constantly asking someone "what am I thinking" and when they get it wrong, being smug and arrogant about it. I dont think it means your smart or have a high IQ, it just means you're a douchebag

Back