The time when John Danaher stole Joe Rogan's soul on his own podcast.

I watched this one and didn't really like it all that much. He was constantly asking Joe questions about BJJ that he knew he couldn't answer so he could make him look ignorant. I realize that Joe is probably a white belt comparatively but he has an awkward way of teaching and explaining.

Rogan is a bigger fan of Danaher than he is of GSP

He's definitely an oddball and gives off a super-creepy vibe. He just looks like a pervert or serial killer or something.

Here's a legit quote from an interview:

"I like to have my room arranged in such a way that the first and last thing I see every day—when I wake in the morning, when I go to sleep at night—are my blades next to me. They’re a daily reminder of what we do. When I try to get outside of jujitsu, it’s almost always done through sex, but I can’t really talk about that.”

There's no question that he's good at teaching people to win BJJ competitions.

You could tell Rogan was getting frustrated.

But to be fair, John has a unique way of viewing BJJ. You could be a black belt under someone else and still not be able to answer questions about his process and the order in which he does things. It almost seemed like a set-up. John took a jab at Joe's black belt lineage at one point. It was very passive aggressive and condescending.
I agree totally, except that Joe has been very irritating in the last year or two and so I enjoy watching him get treated like dirt.

I don't have a great interest in BJJ, but I was utterly fascinated by that breakdown. Not a single movement, angle or grip, evaded his assessment.

The answer to one of your questions is yes. The answer to the other question is no.

Guess which is which.
I can see that you just got done listening to that guy for 20-minutes and it leaked into your reply.

I feel he leaves his qustion open so Joe can think his way to the ansewf/solution

I considered that possibility too, but the smug arrogant look that appeared when he was awaiting the reply, and the often lack of direction even when prompted for clues suggested to me otherwise.
"What do you see here" is way too open. "What defensive technique do you see here from Fighter A" would be much better, as it's open enough yet also specific enough to give the person
answering the question half a chance at coming up with an answer.

Danaher is an academic that was studying at Columbia, accidentally stumbled onto BJJ, and made a career of it. So he teaches BJJ with the Socratic method, like a professor of law, philosophy, etc. — asking pointed questions to try to lead the student to discover the answer, rather than just telling the student what he knows.

It was funny to watch Joe squirm, but belittling Joe wasn’t Danaher’s intention. It’s just how he teaches, and Joe had enough respect for him to play along.
Danaher asks bad questions though. Quizzing someone about the javelin throw in the Olympics is a ridiculous and roundabout way to try to tell someone that ground-fighting eliminates weight and striking.

I considered that possibility too, but the smug arrogant look that appeared when he was awaiting the reply, and the often lack of direction even when prompted for clues suggested to me otherwise.
"What do you see here" is way too open. "What defensive technique do you see here from Fighter A" would be much better, as it's open enough yet also specific enough to give the person
answering the question half a chance at coming up with an answer.
Exactly, if you want someone to realize something, you have to connect everything except the very last step. Then they'll finish it and their brain will turn on. Danaher asks vague and roundabout questions which mean he's concerned with looking superior as much as he is with being understood. As I've said though, Joe basically deserves it.

The guy seems extremely arrogant and looks like right said fred

Danaher asks bad questions though. Quizzing someone about the javelin throw in the Olympics is a ridiculous and roundabout way to try to tell someone that ground-fighting eliminates weight and striking.
Do you have a quote? I don’t recall every question from Danaher, as it’s been a few months since I watched this episode. Overall, I remember his approach made for an interesting show, and Joe was a willing student.

Again, he used the academic approach to analyze and teach BJJ like no one else, and has changed the game. For example, he broke down the approach to leg locks as a step-by-step science, as opposed to a Hail Mary technique thrown up when failing at upper body control.

I’m no BJJ expert, so I’m not sure how effective his teaching would be, compared to other high-level teachers. But he must be pretty good, as he seems to be highly respected among the BJJ community.

Is he wearing a rash guard? Is it normal to wear rash guards like normal street clothes?

Apparently he always wears one. Every interview I've ever seen of him he's wearing a rash guard whether it's taking place in a gym or not, and supposedly he went to Matt Serra's wedding wearing one. I think the word for guys like him is eccentric.

Do you have a quote? I don’t recall every question from Danaher, as it’s been a few months since I watched this episode. Overall, I remember his approach made for an interesting show, and Joe was a willing student.

Again, he used the academic approach to analyze and teach BJJ like no one else, and has changed the game. For example, he broke down the approach to leg locks as a step-by-step science, as opposed to a Hail Mary technique thrown up when failing at upper body control.

I’m no BJJ expert, so I’m not sure how effective his teaching would be, compared to other high-level teachers. But he must be pretty good, as he seems to be highly respected among the BJJ community.
He's definitely very creative and it was fascinating to listen to, I'm just nitpicking about how he presents the ideas because I spend a lot of time thinking about that stuff.

Here's (1:46) where he spends like 2 minutes asking questions about the Olympics and the javelin throw instead of just saying that there's less explosive power and risk when you fight someone on the ground.

I'd love to see Joe roll with him...

or Pallhares

Last edited:
He's definitely very creative and it was fascinating to listen to, I'm just nitpicking about how he presents the ideas because I spend a lot of time thinking about that stuff.

Here's (1:46) where he spends like 2 minutes asking questions about the Olympics and the javelin throw instead of just saying that there's less explosive power and risk when you fight someone on the ground.

Ha. Yes, academic types can be frustrating. He was trying to get Joe to think about why you go to the ground, instead of telling him — textbook Socratic method. Thanks for timestamping.

I suppose I’m cutting him some slack since I have a soft spot for academic types, as my sister is a professor. Spending time in a room of PhDs can be fascinating, but sometimes I need a break.

Danaher is fascinating because he basically made a dissertation on BJJ, while becoming an expert — pretty unique as academics aren’t usually so physical. He’s an intellectual who is at his core, a meathead.

When you’ve been as successful as him, you can talk. He might be the best brain that the sport has had so far.
i can talk whenever i damn well please, sweetheart.
you don't like it, go play in traffic.

Jesus, John Danahers wouldn't need to choke me to put me to sleep, he'd just need to talk.

This. I tried to listen to this podcast when I was shoveling off a roof this winter and I couldn't even get through it. I used to train a bit too.

This episode was way to dry for me. His background story was interesting, but after that it got boring.

Back