The Surge, Cyberpunkish "Souls" game | Page 9

Discussion in 'Video Game Forum' started by Calley, Mar 19, 2017.

1. GhostZ06 Gold Belt

GhostZ06

i cant play tell my friend gets my damn cable back to my controller, however my homegirl is gonna be play an stream it :)

ill post up her twitch

method115 likes this.
  2. StabbyMcHatchet Add StabbyMcHatchet on Youtube Facebook & Twitter

StabbyMcHatchet
    Well... I hate to say this because I wanted to love this game, but I sessioned it again last night and came to the realization that although I was enjoying it, I didn't think it was going to hold any long-term playability for me.
    For the price of the game and the amount of time I knew it would end up sitting on my shelf collecting dust, I just couldn't feel right about keeping it.

I returned it last night and used the in-store credit to pay out my copy of Destiny 2.

I was enjoying this game to a point, but for the same reason I never liked Dark Souls, I wasn't enjoying it the way I was hoping I would: The combat mechanics.

I'm kinda bummed because I loved the story (Or the beginnings of a story) and I loved the setting, I loved the graphics and I loved the idea of the situation the Protagonist is immersed in....

...but it's a combat game with a fight every 30 steps, and I grew to really dislike the combat mechanics. I love my fighting games to be fast and responsive, and this type of combat is slow and plodding. It started to get on my nerves, seeing my character locked into some slow-assed animation, and then taking damage before my strike could even connect. If the Striking was as fast and responsive as the Dodge mechanic, I would have loved this game.

I like a challenge, believe me, but I like a challenge that puts my speed and response to the test; not a challenge that makes me feel like I need to be psychic and anticipate the type, length, reach and duration of an enemy attack before they even launch it.

I guess that's why I love twitch shooter games so much.

Anyways I had some fun with this, but I'm out. I really hope you guys all enjoy it. If you like that style of fighting, then this game is sure to me awesome for you imo.

method115 likes this.
  3. method115 Steel Belt

method115
    Just got to the boss on stage 2 and he kicked my ass. I have some ideas on how to take him out and the shortcut to him is very close. Should be able to take him out tomorrow.

4. TheWorm Black Belt

TheWorm
    I love DS and BB but hated LOTF. How does this stack up? I want to hear if this is good from someone who also hated LOTF.

5. GhostZ06 Gold Belt

GhostZ06

This choas filth....

StabbyMcHatchet likes this.
  6. EzFlyer Senior Moderator

EzFlyer
    same i just picked mine up 20 mins ago as gamestop was closing haha, i didn't even know this game existed.. heard about it "sci-fi souls clone by LOTF makers" -- ok i'm in!! (LotF was underrated, imo. it's obviously not as good as soulsbornes but i still had fun)

GhostZ06 likes this.
  7. EzFlyer Senior Moderator

EzFlyer
  8. method115 Steel Belt

method115
    I always wanted to try LOTF and put it down at the first battle I had. This is much better.

So far it seems easier than both DS and BB. The shortcuts are setup very well with plenty of them as well. I like how you can bank your "souls". There's lots of little things they did to improve the gameplay over BB and DS imo.

9. MCS (e)Conoreem

MCS
    Poor man's Souls game. Nioh was done better, also with a more interesting and in-depth setting and backstory. For the few evenings I played this is solely based on trial & error combat with slow mechanics. The industrial setting is boring, done a thousand times (actually reminds me of old Activision games) where the Souls shortcuts are there, but they don't lead from one unique location to another, but it's the same old trash yards and corridors EARLY in the game (the early parts usually aren't similar even in low budget titles, the repetition shows later in the game, like in Lords of the Fallen from the same studio).

Deck13 does kinda what Techland is trying to do with the Zombie genre. Stick to it and improve to make the same formula better after the 2 Dead Islands with a small budget. Copy from other games to get there. But Techland succeeded with Dying Light whereas Deck13 made another sub-par clone a few years later.

10. GhostZ06 Gold Belt

GhostZ06

its not at all, i dont know why some of yall talk about souls games an yet half of you guys never touched a souls game until Demon souls. i've been playing those kinda since it was kingsfield and shadow tower.

A true souls game is 1st person like it was when it was just kingsfield, enternal ring, and shadow tower.

11. deadshot138 Brown Belt

deadshot138
    No, Souls games are Souls games. What the fuck are you even talking about.

Distortion2 said this was worse than Lords of the Fallen and I'll believe him.

Plus only having 5 bosses and cheap enemies is a joke. Fuck this game and game dev. I'll get it when it's free on PSN in 6 months

12. method115 Steel Belt

method115
    It's not worse than Lords of the Fallen I didn't like that at all. Cheap enemies? I don't see how. In fact I find this game much easier than both Souls and Bloodborne. In both of those games I needed help defeating every boss. BloodBorne I made it past the first boss by myself that's it.

In this game I've made it past the first two bosses not to hard either. I like it for what it is and I'm enjoying it. I wish their was more armor to choose from and weapons that I liked more but other than that it's pretty good.

13. GhostZ06 Gold Belt

GhostZ06

classic souls games my boy, the OG first person souls games. its really not worst then Lords of the fallen an dont think youll find many people who will agree with that. and lol cheap enemy's?

like methods said, it definitively needs more weapons and Armour

14. method115 Steel Belt

method115
    Made it to the 4th level I guess hard to explain and I don't want to spoil so I wont say more. Honestly this game has turned out better (IMO) than both Bloodborne and Souls for one main reason: I can actually play the damn game. It's easier and I can make it through the game without needing help on every single boss. Half the time in souls I would beat a boss based on luck or some cheap trick. In this game I actually understand the strategy I need to use and can implement it. Could never do that in Bloodborne or Souls and yes I realize it's cause I suck always have at these kind of games. So it's nice to have a game that is similar (even though I suck I still enjoy the combat and everything else in these games) but easier than those games.

StabbyMcHatchet likes this.
  15. GhostZ06 Gold Belt

GhostZ06
    pactch notes the bold ones are awesome

16. method115 Steel Belt

method115
    Nice going to turn my PC on tonight so it's ready for Thursday.

17. GhostZ06 Gold Belt

GhostZ06

? wait what?

BTW what is OPS?

18. method115 Steel Belt

method115
    Going to turn my PC on tonight so it downloads the update and then tomorrow I don't have to wait it'll be loaded and ready. OPS is the like fire camp in dark souls. So your re-spawn point\upgrade station\etc.

19. GhostZ06 Gold Belt

GhostZ06

i tihnk a mix of metal and gangster rap will work

StabbyMcHatchet and method115 like this.
  20. GhostZ06 Gold Belt

GhostZ06