The Surge, Cyberpunkish "Souls" game

giphy.gif

i need to do this all the time

Beat the first boss and Got started but a bit on the next level. Doesn't seem To much harder. Right now just trying to get better armor and I'm not having much luck. What happens to the wrecked armor?

Ok I figured it out wrecked armor gives you the materials you need to craft your own. Now I'm fully decked out.

Last edited:
I have zero experience playing Souls or LotF or Niho, and I am finding this tough. But fun.

In these games, always take it slow until you know you can crush enemies in an area. Always peek around corners and new areas because there will be hidden enemies that will spring out to double or even triple team you. Once you get the drone, it's a great little weapon to pull enemies from a distance. Trying to fight multiple enemies in any of these games is a lot tougher, but really fun once you get the hang of the controls and some swagger in your skills. They'll still kill you though, lol.

Practice your moves when there are no enemies around and figure out what combos you like. It'll help with gauging distance as well and experiment with all weapons you find. I read somewhere that timing your button presses well uses less stamina during combos instead of mashing but I haven't tested it myself. Try to bait attacks and then punish the enemy when you get an opening. I've had to forget some of my Nioh/Dark Souls muscle memories because the combat mechanics are different here in some ways like the straight up jump dodge, the ducking maneuver and the block ---> counter attack move. Keeping your right stick locked on a certain limb isn't that important unless you want that piece of gear. In fact, I think one of the game tips suggests switching between limbs during a combo and will still lead to an execution finisher.

One of the most important things is accepting death and looking at the first time you end up losing a huge chunk of scrap/souls as no big deal. You'll make that lost loot up in spades as you progress through the game.

OK, a few observations and impressions:

Awesome. fun. Repetitive.

I spent a majority of my time last night just teaching myself the mechanics of the game. The movement is like third person view in Fallout. The fighting is like the Chainsword Melee in Space Marine. I found it a little clunky at first to get used to, especially with the jump mechanic (L3 to sprint, L3 a second time to jump) but I am getting used to it.

Basically you have an Ops Center as your home base, which has a Med Bay and a Crafting Station, and you can return to it as much as you want. Each time you use the Med Bay, all Adds will respawn on the level fresh. This is really nice in a lot ways, especially for targeted looting.

If you see a particular character in an area that has gear that you want blueprints for, simply go kill it (execution kill on desired loot), then run back to the Med Bay to reset Adds, then go back and kill it again as many times as you wish. You can run past the Humanoid Adds I have encountered and they will give a short chase, but they will always return to their spawn point if you go too far. This means you can literally run around throughout an entire map as long as you don't get cornered or go into a place where they are firing projectiles etc.

You need to collect Mats for upgrading your gear, and the Mats are specific to the gear piece you want to upgrade, so if you want to upgrade your Head-piece, you need to attack Adds an do execution kills with their heads targeted. It is not guaranteed that you'll get a drop from every execution kill, but drop rates are generous. The Scrap from head executions cannot be used to upgrade or craft arms or legs, etc.

You have to strike enemies to build up an energy bar to a point before the execution kill is an option, so if you're playing touch tag with an enemy and doing a lot of dodging between strikes, you can sometimes take too long between strikes and your Energy will drain and you won't be able to use the Execution kill. It just won't be available. It's a good mechanic that fosters a sense of urgency and causes you to run from killing one enemy to another if you're trying to harvest particular loot pieces.

I just kept grinding the first area until I had all my shit upgraded to MKII and brought my power core up to 41. I couldn't progress my gear any higher because all the adds were dropping MKI scrap so I left the area after defeating the boss. I didn't realize that once I left that area I couldn't return. If I had have known that I would have continued the grind to get my Core Power to level 50 so I could open that big set of doors, but ce la vie. I thought that Excavator was the boss, and I killed it and I was like "Ok, so now what?"... haha. Then I stumbled into that room completely unprepared for the Mech that I had to fight and got totally destroyed, haha!

Now that I am in the second area, I might grind out and bring my Core Power to 75 because there is a door there that is level 75 and that is a carrot on a stick to me. Hopefully I won't be shooting myself in the foot regarding the NG+ content if I do that. The next area has enemies that have all Rhino Armour and I am fully outfitted. I love the Chainsword type weapon and the Dual Claws, whatever they're called (@GhostZ06, those dual weapons give you the backflip kick as one of the combo options).

Where they went right:
* Forcing you to choose how to use your scrap, between leveling up the Core Power or Gear
* The Dodge mechanic is ultra fast, responsive and uses little stamina
* The Stamina bar drains slowly but refills quickly under normal circumstances
* Not losing your loot when you die (not even a percentage) if you get back to it on time
* Implimenting a targeted loot system
* Implimenting a target lock-on system during combat
* Implimenting the Energy Building system
* Giving you the Drone buddy to lure enemies towards you (Fighting multiple Adds is a quick death)

Where they went wrong:
* Using the R thumbstick as the targeting thumbstick (There's got to be a better way. Think VATS)
* No way to generate health without implants
* Execution attacks should generate some health
* Making you manually break down the rusty piles of scrap (Should breakdown automatically)
* Pick-up radius is too small (For loot and for activating items)

There are some other things that I can't say are right or wrong. I am not sure how I feel about being locked into a combo. It promotes concise playing because button-mashing doesn't pay when you're fighting a giant mech that wants to literally stomp on you and you're locked into an animation with an attack combo that makes you stomp-able. I wish I could break out of the combos with the dodge button, but then again, that might make things too easy.

I feel like the heavy weapon attacks are painfully slow, and I won't use those weapons at all. They are so slow that they're useless IMO.

So far so good. They did a nice job on the animation of the Executions. I can see it getting very repetitive, but still being fun. I'll play some more tonight too and see how things progress.

Last edited:
well accept its 100% not, so thats where you'll be wrong. so that would be your first wrong in assuming it is

its apparently harder then DS and nioh

Saying it is 100% not is not entirely correct. Several of the prominent negative themes from lords remain. It is a huge improvement in so many areas and I'm enjoying it but that doesn't mean there aren't strong similarities. The plus list is much longer than the problems that remain and they built an entirely new game world for it too which is great.

A short list: The weapon system is very limited. Before you leave what amounts to the tutorial you can basically master all the weapons. The majority of combat areas other than boss arenas are fairly claustrophobic to the point that it's obvious where boss areas will be. The enemy selection is very limited and fairly bland. The enemies are even less mixed than I remember lotf being.

It's a new ip so a lot of this seems forgiveable to me.

Also this game is very Warhammer 40Kesque. It very much reminds me of Mechanicum worlds with Cogboys and Servitors etc. I know Focus Home Interactive has been working on this for a long time, but they were also involved in Space Hulk Deathwing, so I can't help but feel that this game was inspired by the 40K universe, which is a good thing IMO.

Just found out on Reddit that you can go back to previous areas. Awesome.

Just found out on Reddit that you can go back to previous areas. Awesome.

Ok cool when you said you couldn't I thought that was weird because going to level 50 in that first area a lone is tough.

Also this game is very Warhammer 40Kesque. It very much reminds me of Mechanicum worlds with Cogboys and Servitors etc. I know Focus Home Interactive has been working on this for a long time, but they were also involved in Space Hulk Deathwing, so I can't help but feel that this game was inspired by the 40K universe, which is a good thing IMO.

They could turn this into a warhammer game, however the loot system would need a change. Warhammer 40k loot are usually old lost tech, or alien artifacts..

Well this was Deck13 which are made up of Ex-CDPR workers, you can see they are CDPR just by there AMA interview.

There is an implant that regenerates health on execution.

The second hub is huuuuuuge. Lots intricate pathways and a lot of shortcuts that gave me nostalgia tinges of Dark Souls I world design. I think I found the boss in that area but haven't attempted it yet. I'll get to it tomorrow.

I do agree about the enemies being repetitive so far. Hopefully this game does well so we can get a sequel and they can improve upon the enemy and weapon selection.

Looks like Ela has already broken the game. Apparently there was a glitch found earlier today that allows you to walk through walls and bypass parts of the game. I just tuned in and he's trying to get to the last boss without having fought any of the others.

Speedrunners, lol. I'm sure the devs are watching, both horrified and amazed. At least it's free QA testing for their next patch.

I didn't get to play last night, other than for a half hour before Jiu Jitsu.
Looks like Ela has already broken the game. Apparently there was a glitch found earlier today that allows you to walk through walls and bypass parts of the game. I just tuned in and he's trying to get to the last boss without having fought any of the others.

Speedrunners, lol. I'm sure the devs are watching, both horrified and amazed. At least it's free QA testing for their next patch.

Pffft, that's hilarious. And here I am totally stuck in a pipe after fighting the excavator on the first day. This guy is walking through walls and I can't even walk over rebar and a weedpatch...

Had this in my Queue from Gamefly and this is the first game in 3 years of membership that I didn't get a new release on launch day by emptying out my Queue ahead of time. Really bummed I won't have this game to play over the weekend. Probably for the best since I'm not done with Persona 5, but this game just looks to fun.

Pffft, that's hilarious. And here I am totally stuck in a pipe after fighting the excavator on the first day. This guy is walking through walls and I can't even walk over rebar and a weedpatch...

LOL

I'm not a fan of glitches or skips but love watching them route new runs and figure out the best strats for bosses. Apparently the glitch is due to a hidden quick save/load function the devs left in the game. I'm sure they'll patch it out shortly.

There is an implant that regenerates health on execution.

The second hub is huuuuuuge. Lots intricate pathways and a lot of shortcuts that gave me nostalgia tinges of Dark Souls I world design. I think I found the boss in that area but haven't attempted it yet. I'll get to it tomorrow.

I do agree about the enemies being repetitive so far. Hopefully this game does well so we can get a sequel and they can improve upon the enemy and weapon selection.

Yea I spent about 3 hours really exploring the second hub yesterday. My main goal was trying to find a shortcut to the medical bay and I would be satisfied and done for the night. Never found it at all. Well let me rephrase that. I found it but didn't know I had to break the door in order to get to it. So I looked at a vid online cause I got tired of running around everywhere and I learned so much shit about this game.

First off I had no idea I could easily double my amount of health restores. I went from 3 to 6 with implants. Then I saw I had to break the door by hitting it. The guy was also a good bit higher than me on levels. I'm so used to ignoring deeper shit like this in games and just playing the game a bunch so I miss shit like this sometimes. I also got the implant that adds elemental strikes. Do we get suits with more implants available? We need more.

Also those guys with the poll kick my fucking ass. Haven't been able to kill them once. I just started using the implant that gives you health on kill. Have you fought those four guys over by the 70+ overcharge unit? I thought it was only two and just ran in there only two find out it was 4. I barely made it and had to use all my life refills.

Back