The Surge, Cyberpunkish "Souls" game

Cant believe another game with no quicksave function on pc.. Otherwise they improved from previous game allot,kudos for that. Need to play it more but its hard with such tight schedule.

Cant believe another game with no quicksave function on pc.. Otherwise they improved from previous game allot,kudos for that. Need to play it more but its hard with such tight schedule.

You clearly don't understand the point with your quicksave comment... seriously.

please elaborate?

This game is done in the spirit of the souls series. A huge component of that is that you have to earn your way through the game by adapting to new challenges. A large portion of that is just making it to the next short cut or save point. Quick saving destroys pretty much every credibly challenging portion of any game. It allows the player to control too many variables.

These type of games do unfortunately come with a bit of a need for more commitment thanks to challenges being baked in and saving being limited though.

I am debating whether to get this game, or not. I like the Dark Souls/Bloodborne, I liked them a lot.

But the Surge, for me just doesn't look interesting. I don't like this robot/futuristic (with clunky looking combat) feel to it.

I am debating whether to get this game, or not. I like the Dark Souls/Bloodborne, I liked them a lot.

But the Surge, for me just doesn't look interesting. I don't like this robot/futuristic (with clunky looking combat) feel to it.

well good thing the combat isn't clunky

Finally buckled down and finished the game at around 35 hours total. The last level is so intricate that is was really fun making my way through it but a bit of a pain, too. Some of the late game enemies look really cool but are a little annoying to fight. But, I was all loaded out with healing and health buffs so it didn't matter too much. The last boss was easiest one but I may have been over-leveled/over-geared. Black Cerberus armor and the MG Judge 2.0 crushes everything.

Overall, I like this a lot more than Dark Souls 3. There's a lot of good mechanics and changes to the Souls formula that made if feel fresher like the limb removal, the looping mazelike environment really felt like Demon's Souls/Dark Souls I, not another fantasy setting, and the implants. A bit more enemy variety and more variance in the different locations should be priorities for the sequel. Hopefully it sells enough for a sequel. I'll probably hold off on NG+ for a bit but I really want to mess with the last boss's special weapon. Looks cool.

Finally buckled down and finished the game at around 35 hours total. The last level is so intricate that is was really fun making my way through it but a bit of a pain, too. Some of the late game enemies look really cool but are a little annoying to fight. But, I was all loaded out with healing and health buffs so it didn't matter too much. The last boss was easiest one but I may have been over-leveled/over-geared. Black Cerberus armor and the MG Judge 2.0 crushes everything.

Overall, I like this a lot more than Dark Souls 3. There's a lot of good mechanics and changes to the Souls formula that made if feel fresher like the limb removal, the looping mazelike environment really felt like Demon's Souls/Dark Souls I, not another fantasy setting, and the implants. A bit more enemy variety and more variance in the different locations should be priorities for the sequel. Hopefully it sells enough for a sequel. I'll probably hold off on NG+ for a bit but I really want to mess with the last boss's special weapon. Looks cool.

well if what i heard was true its getting post lunch support an it will be shown at E3

the thing they need to put in is Ranged weapons for your suit. You know what i mean? i think the one thing they missed out on was having some sort of ranged attachment or giving the ability to pick up those flame throwers.

everyone was really begging for some sort of ranged weaponary or add on. i hope they address that post launch

Enjoying the game so far.
I don't know if this is a problem or not but the difficulty really feels more about how much grinding you want to do rather than intricate combat.

Does anyone else absolutely HATE the bosses in this game? I enjoy wandering around the factory and exploring but the bosses are very rough. I've yet to fight one that didn't have horrid camera angles and hitboxes. I'm onto Black Cerberus right now and the Cerberus himself seemed like it'd be the first enjoyable boss fight in this game but after taking him down to 1/4 health he runs away and I have to fight PAX again. Urgh.

Edit: Killed one PAX then I had to fight another. Come the fuck on!

Last edited:
Does anyone else absolutely HATE the bosses in this game? I enjoy wandering around the factory and exploring but the bosses are very rough. I've yet to fight one that didn't have horrid camera angles and hitboxes. I'm onto Black Cerberus right now and the Cerberus himself seemed like it'd be the first enjoyable boss fight in this game but after taking him down to 1/4 health he runs away and I have to fight PAX again. Urgh.

Edit: Killed one PAX then I had to fight another. Come the fuck on!

i hope the post launch support is gonna be epic. Consdiering the ending

Finally got around to dive into this game after I put Persona 5 down. Cruised pretty much up to the Bio Labs without to much trouble, but then they started throwing those damn spider drones around every corner. They arn't terribly difficult, but they hit like a truck and could 1 shot me with their pounce.

I hadn't really upgraded my armor much until I got to the 3rd boss and I really struggled with his 2nd phase. The 1st phase was pretty easy and I could clear without getting hit, but there were so many arms in the 2nd phase that could drain my HP before I knew what hit me.

Took some time to farm some Security Guards and get a full suit of the Gorgon Security Armor and Ripper Blade up to Mk. III. Went back to the boss and absolutly crushed him. Made my way to the Research and Development area and had to turn it off.

Really enjoying the game, much better than Lords of the Fallen.

Cleared out a bunch of the Research and Development area and connected a few short cuts back to the med bay. Guessing I'm getting close to the end of the area since one of the last doors I opened up unleashed a Bloodied Protius unit that dropped a Protius V.2.0 weapon that was a pretty big upgrade from the Ripper Blade I had been using since the begining of the game. I liked the Staff and Double Rigged weapon move sets, but they seemed to lock in longer combos animations, so I've stuck with the good ol' reliable 1 hand Long Sword I've rocked through DeS, DS1-3, and BB.

The Bloodied Protius unit was also right through a Med Bay shortcut so I farmed him a bunch for his Mk. IV upgrade drops and got all my armor and weapons up to Mk. IV when I turned it off. Should make some serious headway into the game in my next session since all my gear is maxed out from farming. I need to start getting some Exo Rig levels under my belt and start upgrading some of the implants to their higher level variants.

Stumbled upon Black Cerberus and got shot up when he called in the big Pax robot. Decided to spend some time leveling up leveling up my Exo Suit and swapping to higher level Implants. Went back to the Research and Development area since the area right outside the Med Bay got overrun with a security force and had some busted up robots to smash.

Once I got my multiplier going I was racking up some serious tech scrap. I had two Mk. II Reclamation Buddy implants for 40% boost along with the 3x scrap boost built up, for a total of x3.4 tech boost. I made a loop around the Med Bay in like 2 mintues and would net around 15,000 tech per loop. Built up a huge stash of tech scrap and went from 65 to 80 in a single shot.

Went back to Black Cerberus and pushed his shit in, got his Ax and full suit of armor, and then the final Exo Suit upgrade. Saw it's able to open up the security doors, so now it's time to do some back tracking for locked doors and the high level Overloads Panels I've been passing through the game.

I feel pretty beastly now that I can have both the Implants to turn excess energy into a health boost, and the one that gives a health boost when you execute an enemy. I almost never have to use health injections when my Implants are constantly topping my health bar off.

This game is done in the spirit of the souls series. A huge component of that is that you have to earn your way through the game by adapting to new challenges. A large portion of that is just making it to the next short cut or save point. Quick saving destroys pretty much every credibly challenging portion of any game. It allows the player to control too many variables.

These type of games do unfortunately come with a bit of a need for more commitment thanks to challenges being baked in and saving being limited though.
Watched DIstortion2s entire playthrough of this and it's not in the spirit of Souls. It tries but it's not. Hamstringing the player with clunky combat and shitty one shot attacks from bosses may be present in the Souls games but they pull it of much better than this lump of shit.

Back