The Stuff of Nightmares for some...

MikeMcMann

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The Stuff of Nightmares for some... (posted in reply to many peoples irrational fear of insects such as in 'This ant wouldn't die' thread)

Which tiny creature currently inhabiting this planet if blown up to man-hunting size would be the most terrifying to you? Assume that man for the sake of this is still in a more hunter gather societal state where we could not organize well to eradicate them and they still took regular human casualties?

I'll offer a few examples.

The Bobbit Worm which currently have been known to grow to lengths of 3 meters which is the size of a good sized Anaconda, but they need more girth to really threaten man. Imagine an anaconda width Bobbit setting traps along the shore line when you go swimming. Surely it would take regular human prey.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

198.gif

Spiders - Imagine walking head long into a cluster of giant man eating spiders in the woods. As ambush hunters they would easily take out humans.

tumblr_nfjwnpvulI1tpri36o1_400.gif

39fdbbddbfc64088874deed7c5c6482d.gif

Ants - Ptibulls would have nothing on Pitbull sized fire ants on the march.

fire-ants-usda.gif

Wasps - often called the assholes of the insect world, a wasp large enough to take down a man would be a true terror from the skies.

giphy.gif

Japanese-Giant-Hornet-on-hand.png

other???

Fucking wasps. I'm already fucking terrified of them at manlet size; if they were ever big enough to take me down, I would just end it immediately.

For anyone saying wasps there is a novel called “Furies” written by Keith Roberts in 1966. It’s about an invasion of alien wasps about the size of a Rottweiler if i remember correctly. I read that about 25 years ago but I am due to read it again.

Spiders for sure. I fucking hate spiders. Blech.

I'd kick all their asses.

For anyone saying wasps there is a novel called “Furies” written by Keith Roberts in 1966. It’s about an invasion of alien wasps about the size of a Rottweiler if i remember correctly. I read that about 25 years ago but I am due to read it again.
haha sounds like it could make a good campy movie. Do the wasps fly space ships to get here?

9369d8642a86d26d291ca54a7176e82e.jpg

Giant wasps would really fuck us up. Especially @Rygu .

I think if you enlarged these things we'd just kill them all.

I mean, we had to be stopped from killing all the sharks.

oh ya for sure. With today's technology we would destroy them until maybe we had a tiny preserved population on a preserve somewhere.

I was suggesting before we were such an organized society and were more nomadic.

Mostly because these things aren’t actively trying to kill us. I’m sure if Sharks we’d see more than a handful of killings a year. Sharks are a bad example though obviously.

Imagine if ants just decided to start killing humans. That’d be a war.

Fucking wasps. I'm already fucking terrified of them at manlet size; if they were ever big enough to take me down, I would just end it immediately.

Lol. I was about to say...they are mean as shit already, could you imagine if they had a stinger big enough to impale you?

haha sounds like it could make a good campy movie. Do the wasps fly space ships to get here?

9369d8642a86d26d291ca54a7176e82e.jpg

Giant wasps would really fuck us up. Especially @Rygu .
Can’t remember how they get here but they do enslave humans and communicate eventually through telepathy.

Mostly because these things aren’t actively trying to kill us. I’m sure if Sharks we’d see more than a handful of killings a year. Sharks are a bad example though obviously.

Imagine if ants just decided to start killing humans. That’d be a war.

We'd kill them all.

The only biological thing I can think of we can't completely eradicate are viruses.

We currently have problems with some bugs and vermin because they're so small and have integrated with our habitats.

Grow those bastards so they can't hide and make them a threat, and they're all dead.

Back