The strange newly found GSP hate on Sherdog

You don't know what you're talking about, even fighters who were talking shit like Hardy, calling GSP "an athlete" not a fighter admits he was full of shit. You guys are still hanging onto those stupid words and trash talk because you find GSP boring. Which is fine. Hardy has admitted he couldn't do a thing in that fight, because GSP is so good. He was playing defense for the entire fight and never found a second of offense, because GSP is so good. He is not Anderson Silva. He will not sit and wait for opportunities. He hunts them.

The fact is GSP is more active and more aggressive than every single opponent he's faced. His opponents shell up. They play defense for 25 mins. The fights themselves are obvious or go listen to Dan Hardy, a very solid analyst, tell you himself. Hardy, Kos, Diaz, Serra, fought for the safety of the decision. They fought for the decision, not GSP.

Anyone who tried to out work GSP, got hurt in an exciting fight, like Condit or Fitch.

Were GSP as great as you claim, then he would have been good enough to take a few risks and try and finish the fight. Him not finishing Hardy was really a smack in the face to the fans... he had him on the ground for something like 22 minutes of a 25 minute fight, but still couldn't put together a successful submission. He barely even threw any strikes in that fight... GSP was content to wait out every single round and avoid any aggression at every cost.

GSP went out to nullify his opponent rather than destroy them. Maybe that's what you want to pay to see, but GSP gets hate because many fans of FIGHTING (not nullifying) want to see a fight, not a grappling match where it's obvious nothing is going to happen.

Quite simple, cause GSP fought not to lose, rather than fight to finish.

Some people just don't think laying in someones guard landing short elbows for 25min counts as an exciting dominant champion

Oh i will take you up on that for sure and of all the fights that I do not list it is not because of Georges that the fights were exciting it was becaue of the other guy.

Nick Diaz
Shields
rounds 3-5 vs Condit
Alves
Hardy
Koscheck I & II
BJ II

Pretty much every single fight after the Serra KO.

How this guy is in any GOAT conversation is an absolute JOKE.
In 10 sec? <mma4>
Ok I give you the benefit of the doubt, huge Penn fans usually know GSP's record better than his fans for some reason.
I agree with
-Hardy
-Nick Diaz
-Shields

- Dan Hardy fight was a deception for sure, every fighter has at least one victory over a lesser fighter that he could have finished but didn't.
Anderson Silva against Thales Leites and Demian Maia for example, Silva could have finished them under 25min but didn't, shit happens.
But yeah, the Dan Hardy fight was a let down.

-For Diaz, yeah I wasn't exactly on the edge of my seat for 25min but GSP did spend a lot of time on the ground with the BJJ expert and wasn't in danger once, frustrating Nick, folding all of his submissions attempts and landing a bunch of punches.
I actually kinda like this fight, not saying it was great, but I have my reasons. But alright, check.

-Jack Shields, another boring fight in which GSP dominated, I agree, check. (still an impressive win)

-Carlos now... you're singling out rounds out of the Condit fight? <30>
C'mon, now you're nitpicking. Sounds like Anderson haters counting the number of rounds he lost to Chael to discredit him... That fight was good and certainly kept me on the edge of my seat. But to each his own I guess...

-Both Kos fights? Wrestling is my favorite discipline so I may be biased, but I like these fights, the second one was particularly satisfying. The first one, I can understand why people not into wrestling could get bored I guess, but it was a great demonstration of GSP's insane TDD.

-GSP vs Penn 2?? You found that fight boring? Georges completely trashed BJ and made him quit on the stool between rounds (after all that shit Penn talked about Georges being a "quitter", "to teh death" etc), that was a very entertaining fight.
If that kind of fights makes you go "meh, not impressed" I want your favorite fights ever list, some good stuff must hidden in there.

If GSP vs Penn 2 & Carlos Condit are on your "boring MMA fights" list, you must have much higher standards/expectations than the rest of us when watching the sport.
All the greats like Fedor, Anderson, Big Nog, Jones, Sakuraba, Penn, Crocop, Wanderlei, etc... have had some less than stellar fights if you dissect their records and pick boring rounds out of otherwise good fights.

But thank you for responding, now I have to re-watch the Alves fight, I don't remember it that well...
Long days and pleasant nights sai o/

I like GSP but he should just stay retired.

There was a whole post with like 20 pages a few weeks back regarding GSP being the champion of clean fighting. The people who defended him in a nut shell said he was a clean fighter and that him being self tested for the Hendricks fight was proof of it.

I tried arguing the point that he was never tested all year around and being tested 4-5 months a head of one fight does not mean he was clean.

The fact is he was clean during pre wada, but so was Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Brock Lesnar..etc etc.

On that same note; people were saying GSP was goat because he never failed a test. But once more, he isn't actively fighting under the new drug policies.
First of all thank you for a proper explanation.
I was indeed out of the loop (busted a couple ribs pretty bad in sparring, so recently I've been avoiding sherdog; it always gives me training/sparring "cravings", and since I can't even walk without wobbling it's frustrating as hell).

I can understand why some people would argue that, since GSP never got caught, personally I honestly don't care one way or the other. I used to roid when I was in HS/College, St-Pierre is one of my favorites fighters ever and...
I don't know how to turn this sentence to avoid another account being banned... ok, even if GSP had pissed hot he would still be one of my favs, PEDs have always been around (and not only in Japan, like a whole generation of "UFC fans" were once claiming)

GSP has some dumb fans like every great fighter, since he is the last UFC great who never tested positive or even "suspicious", it's a great opportunity for the bottom of the barrel kind of fans to claim that he was the only clean champion.

But if the situations were reversed and Georges was the one who pissed hot instead of Anderson, Silva lesser fans would also all be gloating like motherfuckers, you know it's true <6>

People are giving him flank because he gave us a million reasons why he didn't want to move up and face Anderson Silva and that's fine with me. But it's just odd he calls out a MW champion now and not in his prime. GSP vs Silva would have been huge.

People also frown upon it because many of us feel like Bisping is arguably one of the weakest belt holders in a while. Is it commendable to come back after and long lay off to fight the MW champion? Sure is. Does it seem questionable to want to fight the MW champion now and not years ago when it could have been the biggest super fight ever? It sure does.

Because he didn't seem interested in the 170lb belt. In April of this year, GSP was quoted as saying " He wanted to fight 'biggest name' rather than for 'material' title". Then he calls out Micheal Bisping. Now that Lawler lost, he's calling out the next champion. Very, very questionable for some of us...

I see, well sure if you present if that way...
Yes I would have loved to see GSP/Anderson, I've always thought St-Pierre had the perfect style to beat him.
It's probably my second Anderson fight that I wanted to see the most after Matt Lindland (back when he was in the UFC obviously, that was one of my dream fights).
Both these fights didn't happen, too bad, but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy Bisping vs GSP right now.

I see your quote, but Bisping is a huge name right now, he beat Anderson & Rockhold, his confidence must be through the roof, and both him and Georges would benefit from this fight.
If Bisping beat GSP, people would go crazy and vice-versa.
But at least there I can understand why some people are mad.

On the other hand, GSP vs Woodley... When Georges was champion no one gave a shit about this fight "Lawler is washed up, and he was actually never that good to begin with, GSP would toy with him"©
And today we see new MMA fans regularly asking "why did Georges and Robbie never fought in their career? I don't get it, it would have been a crazy fight".
Because context...
St-Pierre cleaned out his division and beat every single guy the UFC threw at him during his reign, and Lawler wasn't considered a top fighter anymore when GSP was champ.

I said I understood the criticism toward the Anderson situation (but obviously none of us know what happened during the negotiations), but here... if GSP was "scared" of Lawler, why would he want to fight the monster who just smashed him in 2 min?
Did Lawler ever call GSP out?

Thank you for your patience and your informative post.

One thing I noticed about GSP over the years (but I'm 100% fluent in French, and he gave a lot of interviews that never got translated) is that on one hand, he is a very intelligent guy, a smart fighter, but he isn't the best at understanding what the fans want.

To be fair, MMA fans want a lot of things.... but just the fact that he asked the fans (after he got some negative reception for calling out Bisping for his come back fight) if they would be happier if he called out Conor or Nate Diaz shows that he isn't
li

Either you haven't been around very long or you have a bad memory. GSP has gotten signficant hate around here for years. Whether it's accusations of drug use or over the top bitching and moaning about his fighting style there is a not insignificant number of posters around here that just can't stand GSP.

First of all thank you for a proper explanation.
I was indeed out of the loop (busted a couple ribs pretty bad in sparring, so recently I've been avoiding sherdog; it always gives me training/sparring "cravings", and since I can't even walk without wobbling it's frustrating as hell).

No problem man. Don't get me wrong, I still think GSP was an awesome champion. He fought a lot of quality opponents at the top of their game and he beat them down badly. His wrestling skills in the division are unmatched IMO. He always had a finesse in the way he fought and that's a quality I always loved about him.

He's definitely one of the most respectable fighters around. A true ambassador of the sport. And all around a nice guy.

I can understand why some people would argue that, since GSP never got caught, personally I honestly don't care one way or the other. I used to roid when I was in HS/College, St-Pierre is one of my favorites fighters ever and...
I don't know how to turn this sentence to avoid another account being banned... ok, even if GSP had pissed hot he would still be one of my favs, PEDs have always been around (and not only in Japan, like a whole generation of "UFC fans" were once claiming)

GSP has some dumb fans like every great fighter, since he is the last UFC great who never tested positive or even "suspicious", it's a great opportunity for the bottom of the barrel kind of fans to claim that he was the only clean champion.

But if the situations were reversed and Georges was the one who pissed hot instead of Anderson, Silva lesser fans would also all be gloating like motherfuckers, you know it's true <6>

The mods are pretty lenient on yellows and bans for steroid accusations these days so I wouldn't be too worried about it. (Thank god lol).

The thing is Sherdog is a predominantly used by American/Canadian and European fans. Naturally they tend to have a bias. In most cases you'll read a thousand threads that accuse Brazilians fighters of being on PEDS. And if a Brazilian fighter is caught, there an another thousand threads on it. But if an American fighter is caught, it seems like there isn't much of an outcry. For example with all the crap Chael talked about and then he pissed real hot, a lot of fans gave him a free pass on here. Yet Vitor being on legal TRT is still brought up a trillion times.

Anyway, I am just ranting here I guess.

I see, well sure if you present if that way...
Yes I would have loved to see GSP/Anderson, I've always thought St-Pierre had the perfect style to beat him.
It's probably my second Anderson fight that I wanted to see the most after Matt Lindland (back when he was in the UFC obviously, that was one of my dream fights).
Both these fights didn't happen, too bad, but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy Bisping vs GSP right now.

I see your quote, but Bisping is a huge name right now, he beat Anderson & Rockhold, his confidence must be through the roof, and both him and Georges would benefit from this fight.
If Bisping beat GSP, people would go crazy and vice-versa.
But at least there I can understand why some people are mad.

You are right. But I guess I'd rather see GSP get a warm up fight before fighting at championship level. I think it would do a great injustice to him if he fought off such a huge layoff.

On the other hand, GSP vs Woodley... When Georges was champion no one gave a shit about this fight "Lawler is washed up, and he was actually never that good to begin with, GSP would toy with him"©
And today we see new MMA fans regularly asking "why did Georges and Robbie never fought in their career? I don't get it, it would have been a crazy fight".
Because context...
St-Pierre cleaned out his division and beat every single guy the UFC threw at him during his reign, and Lawler wasn't considered a top fighter anymore when GSP was champ.

I said I understood the criticism toward the Anderson situation (but obviously none of us know what happened during the negotiations), but here... if GSP was "scared" of Lawler, why would he want to fight the monster who just smashed him in 2 min?
Did Lawler ever call GSP out?

You are right again. I don't think GSP is scared at all. If anything, people should be scared of GSP, lol. I just think he's wanting to fight Bisping because he would have better odds against him over Lawler. It's a less risk, high reward type fight. Styles make fights and a fight with Lawler would be a grueling one.

Thank you for your patience and your informative post.

One thing I noticed about GSP over the years (but I'm 100% fluent in French, and he gave a lot of interviews that never got translated) is that on one hand, he is a very intelligent guy, a smart fighter, but he isn't the best at understanding what the fans want.

To be fair, MMA fans want a lot of things.... but just the fact that he asked the fans (after he got some negative reception for calling out Bisping for his come back fight) if they would be happier if he called out Conor or Nate Diaz shows that he isn't
li

It's possible. Fans don't always get the whole story and we usually assume stuff. Maybe he just had a change of heart and that's the reason for wanting to fight Tyron now. Or maybe since Hendo/Bisping was announced, he doesn't want to wait for the winner.

Where do we start...

Fought safe. didn't finish any fight post Serra (expect bj)

Greasegate

Had no problem fighting smaller guys, but avoided Anderson like a plague

pushed for tougher testing in hendricks fight, then backed off once wada/nsac was proposed

decided to step away n relinquished his title after "winning" that split decision vs hendricks

gave moot reasons why hes stepping away

constantly talks about a potential comeback

wasnt interested in facing lawler for the ww title, he was more interested in "big fights" mcgregor (fw), diaz (lw) n bisping (mw)

lawler loses n all of a sudden hes interested in ww belt again (against a guy his teammate already beat with ease)

in short comes across as ultimate calculating opportunist

To understand the hate, you must first understand the 2 most ridiculous fan bases in the history of MMA....BJ Penn, and Anderson Silva fans.....

Can you imagine if GSP returned, fought Thompson/Woodley winner, defended against Maia and then had super fight with McGregor before retiring? This could literally happen within an 12-18 month period.

This type of scenario would be a dream come true.

I'll agree with viewpoint that it seems like GSP didn't want to fight Lawler.

Can you imagine if GSP returned, fought Thompson/Woodley winner, defended against Maia and then had super fight with McGregor before retiring? This could literally happen within an 12-18 month period.

This type of scenario would be a dream come true.

For Penn huggers...

It's their worst fuckin nightmare.

Every top fighter gets hate. Do the list:

Does Fedor have haters? Yup, threads full of it.
Does Anderson have haters? Yup, threads full of it.
Does Jones have haters? Yup, threads full of it.

And you can keep going through Aldo, BJ, MM, Conor, Cyborg, Rousey, Hughes, Shogun, Big Nog, and every other top fighter. If you don't have haters, it means no one takes you seriously. Its a badge of honor actually.

Lol at "New."

Quit your crying and realize GSP was a boring point fighter ever since Serra knocked his ass out. He doesn't deserve all the praise he gets.

no he has a shit ton of detractors because of the way he laid on top of guys for 25 minutes doing absolutely nothing and getting his hand raised time and time again. Dude would walk to the cage in the most badass Gi making you think he was something out of Bloodsport and he fought like a boring wrestler that had a penchant for dry humping.
^Typically, predictable post from butt-hurt BJ fan. "To the death, Georges!", or until the end of the 4th round.

^Typically, predictable post from butt-hurt BJ fan. "To the death, Georges!", or until the end of the 4th round.
typical gsp zombie. You turn the argument around to diss bj but yet you cannot refute the claim based on his body of work.

Back