The Straight Ankle Lock

In mma rules / no rules , focusing on the outside ankle makes it far more difficult for them to upkick you in the face with the free leg.

I dont see why, you still can always kick someone in the face with the free leg, no matter which is being trapped, anyways I was talking about grappling not mma or nhb...

It's a normal straight ankle lock, but instead of an Ashi garami my leg is on top of my opponents leg and I'm sitting on his knee or just under it. My right foot is somewhere out from my opponents left rib which often baits him into fishing for his own footlock. To finish I just get a standard low Achilles grip, arch over the shoulder and it's over. Mechanically, it torques the ankle the same way as in the Caio DLR lock, but picture if Caio removed the DLR hook, scooted forward, and sat on the inside of his opponent's knee.

Yeah i know what you mean now; i've seen guys like Jon Tain do it the same way as well.

I can't help but feel like there's a transition to saddle as a counter there though (not a problem in ibjjf circuit obv).

Yeah i know what you mean now; i've seen guys like Jon Tain do it the same way as well.

I can't help but feel like there's a transition to saddle as a counter there though (not a problem in ibjjf circuit obv).

its funny, the other night i was rolling no gi at a leglock-friendly gym, and my opponent tried to enter the saddle on me, but I let him have my foot and instead countered with this ankle lock on his open leg (before he could fully reap).

Last edited:
its funny, the other night i was rolling no gi at a leglock-friendly gym, and my opponent tried to enter the saddle on me, but I let him have my foot and instead countered with this ankle lock on his open leg (before he could fully reap).

It looks like one of those situations where, if he has an angle on you, you have an angle on him too, and it basically comes down to whoever is better at working the angle. Like the seated kani basami to saddle vs leg weave/smash pass, or berimbolo counter vs berimbolo.

Back