The state of MT in MMA..

Now that real boxing is starting to be implemented there's not much room for MT. It's hard to kick somebody in the leg when they keep countering punching you in the face every time you do. MT is archaic. The boxing is bad and the footwork is worse. The defensive principles are bad as well.

It's hard to punch someone in the face when they're kicking into your head or body from outside punching range and forcing you to block with your arms. Nieky Holzken, who is also an undefeated pro boxer in addition to his kickboxing career got shut down twice and beaten decisively by Buakaw using mostly teeps and knees. Holzken got stuck on the outside eating kicks and when he did manage to get in closer he got kneed and clinched.

Also, face punching is nothing new to MT, many MT fighters have successfully crossed over into boxing and a surprising number of them have won world titles there.

It's hard to punch someone in the face when they're kicking into your head or body from outside punching range and forcing you to block with your arms. Nieky Holzken, who is also an undefeated pro boxer in addition to his kickboxing career got shut down twice and beaten decisively by Buakaw using mostly teeps and knees. Holzken got stuck on the outside eating kicks and when he did manage to get in closer he got kneed and clinched.

Also, face punching is nothing new to MT, many MT fighters have successfully crossed over into boxing and a surprising number of them have won world titles there.
Can you tell me who those World Champs are? I'd like to see their fights. I'm genuinely curious as MT footwork doesn't translate to the ring at all.

I saw your first post. And I even addressed it indirectly in this post (see: male divisions of the UFC).

If you want to go skill for skill, Valentina isn't close to the skill levels of the Nak Muays that @UWanaPlayDaGame is referencing either. There's a reason I'm keeping this gender specific, the depth isn't the same in MMA or Muay Thai for womens and mens.

I do enjoy Valentina as a striker in MMA, nonetheless.

I must have missed it. My apologies. No, I do not engage in the idiocy of comparing male and female athletes. That being said, she sure as hell has the accolades, which was my point.

no way man, as evidenced by the abscense of leg kicks in kickboxing, the fact that thai fighters get KOed all the time and that people often confuse boxing with kickboxing.

Can you tell me who those World Champs are? I'd like to see their fights. I'm genuinely curious as MT footwork doesn't translate to the ring at all.

Chartchai Chionoi
Khaosai Galaxy
Saensak Muangsurin
Samart Payakaroon
Sirimongkol Singwangcha
Yodsanan Sor Nanthachai
Veerapol Sahapron
Somrak Khamsing
Knockout CP Freshmart
Srisakey Sor Rungvisai

And many many others there are too many to count.

Also please don't be stupid mate. There is no such thing as "muay thai footwork".

Also please don't be stupid mate. There is no such thing as "muay thai footwork".

Heh, "they don't use footwork in boxing, the guys just stand in front of each other and swing power punches at each other with no defence! Look at that boxing footwork!"

I must have missed it. My apologies. No, I do not engage in the idiocy of comparing male and female athletes. That being said, she sure as hell has the accolades, which was my point.

Definitely, both her and JJ (Kristina obviously more).

Given the fairly non-credentialed set of athletes in WMMA, especially around striking, it's easy to forget those two. You're right in giving them the credit for them, not surprisingly it's why I like watching both of them fight.

Heh, "they don't use footwork in boxing, the guys just stand in front of each other and swing power punches at each other with no defence! Look at that boxing footwork!"

Hagler's displaying excellent footwork in that round. Part of the problem with MMA fans is that they don't even know what footwork and head movement are. They think TJ Dillashaw has great footwork because he dances around. That's not footwork.

Now that real boxing is starting to be implemented there's not much room for MT. It's hard to kick somebody in the leg when they keep countering punching you in the face every time you do. MT is archaic. The boxing is bad and the footwork is worse. The defensive principles are bad as well.

What an embarrassing post.

Dumb thread. Some mma guys are good at mt some arent. Its as simple as that.

Most MT trainers who are eminently qualified end up seeing their art as some kind of religious experience and don’t want to devote their time to how to best apply MT to MMA.

Hagler's displaying excellent footwork in that round. Part of the problem with MMA fans is that they don't even know what footwork and head movement are. They think TJ Dillashaw has great footwork because he dances around. That's not footwork.

There's actually a reason why I chose Hagler vs. Mugabi, the footwork is conceptually very similar to Muay Thai; keep a strong stance, maintain good balance, and always be in position to block strikes and throw back with power. Hagler stands his ground, blocks & rolls punches as needed, and throws hard power punches back at Mugabi to push him backward and force him to give up ground. He moves his feet as needed to keep a strong balanced stance and maintain the right distance for landing power punches. You can't claim that Hagler has excellent footwork and at the same time say that Muay Thai has bad footwork, because what they're doing is the same thing.

There's actually a reason why I chose Hagler vs. Mugabi, the footwork is conceptually very similar to Muay Thai; keep a strong stance, maintain good balance, and always be in position to block strikes and throw back with power. Hagler stands his ground, blocks & rolls punches as needed, and throws hard power punches back at Mugabi to push him backward and force him to give up ground. He moves his feet as needed to keep a strong balanced stance and maintain the right distance for landing power punches. You can't claim that Hagler has excellent footwork and at the same time say that Muay Thai has bad footwork, because what they're doing is the same thing.

You're arguing with a guy who thinks leg kicks are made ineffective by counter-punching, and can't grasp that MT fighters have had successful transitions into boxing. Don't bother.

On an aside, there was no cable in the dorm (college) at the time, so I went to see it in a theater. Excellent fight. You could feel the breeze from some of Mugabi's missed shots.

On an aside, there was no cable in the dorm (college) at the time, so I went to see it in a theater. Excellent fight. You could feel the breeze from some of Mugabi's missed shots.

I was still in junior school at the time but my dad was a big boxing fan and recorded a lot of Hagler, Duran, Hearns, and Michael Spinks fights from the 80s. I didn't watch those VHS tapes until I was in high school, but man, those tapes had many of the best boxing fights I've ever seen in my life.

I was still in junior school at the time but my dad was a big boxing fan and recorded a lot of Hagler, Duran, Hearns, and Michael Spinks fights from the 80s. I didn't watch those VHS tapes until I was in high school, but man, those tapes had many of the best boxing fights I've ever seen in my life.

Like the Hearns-Haggler fight? Fucking great-ass scrap. 8 minutes of glorious bliss.

that's just wrong on so many levels.

Back