The Star Trek Thread, V5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say best role for Picard at this point is to be a Starfleet admiral or the like. Not a regular cast member at his age but guest appearances
I'd really like to see LeVar Burton's La Forge return for this series to flesh out the cast, possibly as a Captain helping out Picard with whatever's going on.

Also would like to see Gates McFadden as Crusher, obviously, and somehow get Brent Spiner.. He can play a Soong of some sort. Maybe somehow get Ro Laren back? What's ole Michelle Forbes up to? In regards to Q, and given that de Lancie has aged as well, he could still antagonize Picard, even "appearing older" to remind Picard of his mortality while Q can just do whatever he wants.

Would be down for any cameos from the DS9 crew, especially Sisko, Kira, Miles, Garek, Martok, and well, just get Jeffrey Combs on the damn show. Would like to see a stand off between Kira and Ro.

Don't like that it's on All Access, but would watch.
CBS should have done another show that circulated around the Enterprise all of these years later instead of doing that shitty Discovery show. That way we could have seen cameos from not only Picard, but many other characters from that era of Star Trek.

There is no getting around the fact that that douchy looking bastard completely screwed up the Klingons. No matter what he does going forward, he never should have created those things.

And what happened to the "13 great houses?" They are saying now that there are more? I seem to recall getting into a long drawn out discussion with @Loiosh in which he claimed 13 houses was a perfectly reasonable total number of house for an interplanetary empire (even though the feudal Japanese empire had far more than that).
Actually from what I have been told, It was Bryan Fuller who requested the changes in the look of the Klingons. He developed the whole ridges are a sensory organ, and go all the way to the back of the head. They really are some impressive make ups, but they just dd a terrible job of explaining the change. This whole season will be about connecting Discovery to canon, and they have said the Klingons will go from this hard core war mode, into more of the peace time cold war mode.

The Klingon Empire is actually larger than the Federation. I think they are really going to explore that, and how many Klingons have evolved differently. Sounds Like L'Rell is going to try and unite the empire as one, and not just a bunch of "Houses" that all look and act differently.

There is no getting around the fact that that douchy looking bastard completely screwed up the Klingons. No matter what he does going forward, he never should have created those things.

And what happened to the "13 great houses?" They are saying now that there are more? I seem to recall getting into a long drawn out discussion with @Loiosh in which he claimed 13 houses was a perfectly reasonable total number of house for an interplanetary empire (even though the feudal Japanese empire had far more than that).
Did you see the episode of Enterprise of where they explain where the TOS Klingon look came from them messing with Augment DNA? I could see them trying the same thing here. I would actually love to see some Augmented Klingons, there has to be a few houses effected.

I remember wasting a lot of time being very patient with you on this subject. Ultimately, this was just something you had chosen to complain about and no amount of reason or common sense was going to take that away from you.

Did you see the episode of Enterprise of where they explain where the TOS Klingon look came from them messing with Augment DNA? I could see them trying the same thing here. I would actually love to see some Augmented Klingons, there has to be a few houses effected.
I did see that episode of Enterprise, and I thought they did a descent job with it. I didn't see a reason for the creators of Discovery to expand the look so much though.

I remember wasting a lot of time being very patient with you on this subject. Ultimately, this was just something you had chosen to complain about and no amount of reason or common sense was going to take that away from you.
Reason? Common sense?
giphy.gif

Based on @sverre054 's post, it sounds as though the creators of Discovery may not be seeing your "reason" and "common sense" either.

Last edited:
Nemesis wasn't perfect but I liked it a hell of a lot better than either Generations or Insurrection. If the score had been better (they should have hired Goldsmith) and had they used actual models for the ships, it may have been a lot better than it turned out and had more of a theatrical feel. But even still, I like it. It was a cool ship to ship battle movie.

Nemesis wasn't perfect but I liked it a hell of a lot better than either Generations or Insurrection. If the score had been better (they should have hired Goldsmith) and had they used actual models for the ships, it may have been a lot better than it turned out and had more of a theatrical feel. But even still, I like it. It was a cool ship to ship battle movie.

Can't agree with that, Generations was I felt pretty decent(if a little unfocused with a disappointing death for Kirk) and the only TNG film that didn't feel like it was shoehorning things into a bog standard blockbuster.

Can't agree with that, Generations was I felt pretty decent(if a little unfocused with a disappointing death for Kirk) and the only TNG film that didn't feel like it was shoehorning things into a bog standard blockbuster.

I've just always found it to be so damn boring and anti-climactic in almost all areas. The Kirk/Picard pairing was disappointing as all hell and boring. The "climax" was lackluster, disappointing, and boring. The overall story was pretty damn lame and boring. Data's whole arc was just so "wtf" and silly. The villains were as cheap as they come. I mean, even if it had been just a two-part episode on the show, to me, it would have been one that was easily forgettable. Just everything about it was such a letdown.

I really think it's the worst TNG movie, even moreso than Insurrection, which itself was boring, uninteresting, and anti-climactic.

I've just always found it to be so damn boring and anti-climactic in almost all areas. The Kirk/Picard pairing was disappointing as all hell and boring. The "climax" was lackluster, disappointing, and boring. The overall story was pretty damn lame and boring. Data's whole arc was just so "wtf" and silly. The villains were as cheap as they come. I mean, even if it had been just a two-part episode on the show, to me, it would have been one that was easily forgettable. Just everything about it was such a letdown.

I really think it's the worst TNG movie, even moreso than Insurrection, which itself was boring, uninteresting, and anti-climactic.

The Data subplot was pretty pointless I'd agree but again it actually felt like TNG were as all the other films felt like cheap action formula with the characters showhorned into them. The Picard/Kirk story did have some depth to it even if the finale was a bit lackluster.

The less said about discovery the better, they'd do well to cancel it at once and just pretend it never existed.

Last edited:
Reason? Common sense?
giphy.gif

Based on @sverre054 's post, it sounds as though the creators of Discovery may not be seeing your "reason" and "common sense" either.

"Great Houses" are an entirely arbitrary distinction. They're the houses at the top of hierarchies, under whom a multitude of other houses are subject. It's really quite a simple concept.

I've already explained this to you.

Saying that an entirely arbitrary number is stupid is nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking, and the writers adding more houses doesn't change anything. It's still an arbitrary number in a hierarchy that has not even been remotely defined.

Look at how few great houses there were in Dune, in a galactic empire of trillions of people. It simply doesn't matter.

Nemesis didn't have the plot holes of Generations or First Contact.
A cloud that places no limitations on what you can do in time and space? If that is so, why would you travel back in time to a point in time when you have a disadvantage against the main villain instead of going back to a point in time in which he was more vulnerable (like when he's on the toilet or something)?
If the Borg can travel back in time so easily to fuck shit up, what is stopping them from going back at a point in time when the Enterprise is not able to follow them and be the spoiler? Also, how is telling the guy who invented warp drive that you are from the future not going to have an adverse effect and fuck up the future?

I've already explained this to you.

You provided no such explanation. You justified that there were only a total of 24 houses in an intergalactic empire that is built on a feudal system modeled after the ancient Japanese feudal system. What you said made absolutely no sense, and Star Trek canon has shit to do with Dune.

http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/134280917/

You provided no such explanation. You justified that there were only a total of 24 houses in an intergalactic empire that is built on a feudal system modeled after the ancient Japanese feudal system. What you said made absolutely no sense, and Star Trek canon has shit to do with Dune.

http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/134280917/

You can repeat that Japan reference as often as you like, it doesn't change the fact the number of houses at the top of the hierarchy is completely arbitrary. The core of particularly powerful houses draws in houses of medium power as vassal states, as it happened in, you know, feudalism.

It's like you think there are only twenty four families. That isn't the case.

There are twenty four powerful families of noble lineage who are the Great Houses, and their power is exerted over untold legions of lesser houses.

What specifically about this bothers you?

You can repeat that Japan reference as often as you like, it doesn't change the fact the number of houses at the top of the hierarchy is completely arbitrary. The core of particularly powerful houses draws in houses of medium power as vassal states, as it happened in, you know, feudalism.

It's like you think there are only twenty four families. That isn't the case.

There are twenty four powerful families of noble lineage who are the Great Houses, and their power is exerted over untold legions of lesser houses.

What specifically about this bothers you?
What about this bothers me?
Laughing-Hysterically-In-a-Cheezy-Beam-Me-Up-Star-Trek-Commercial.gif

That was my original claim...that there had to be a hierarchy of houses like the Japanese feudal system. You were the one who justified there being a total of only 24 houses across the empire ('cause "Dune" did it)! :rolleyes:

What about this bothers me?
Laughing-Hysterically-In-a-Cheezy-Beam-Me-Up-Star-Trek-Commercial.gif

That was my original claim...that there had to be a hierarchy of houses like the Japanese feudal system. You were the one who justified there being a total of only 24 houses across the empire ('cause "Dune" did it)! :rolleyes:

There are twenty four Great Houses.

Did you need them to list the millions of houses loyal to them?

Is that the bar you've set?

There are twenty four Great Houses.

Did you need them to list the millions of houses loyal to them?

Is that the bar you've set?
They didn't say there were 24 "great houses." They said there were 24 houses, which you (with your infinite logic) justified at the time. :rolleyes:

Another possible explanation about the hairless Klingons, in addition to being a cult or genetically different house. In the TNG episode where a clone of Khaless is brought back to life, he tell a story of war, where he took locks of his hair, and put them into a volcano to forge the first bat'leth. These Klingons are currently in hard core war mode, and like many religions and lore, may interrupt it in there own extreme ways. Shaving there heads could be in tribute to Khaless. Now that they are not in war and under new leadership, that will change.

They didn't say there were 24 "great houses." They said there were 24 houses, which you (with your infinite logic) justified at the time. :rolleyes:
From what I understand, basically the major houses, are basically like your countries inside the empire, or who is currently on the Council. There are many houses under the leader ship of there main house. You claim your house name due to heredity and from influence. Worf used to be under the house of Mohg, but due to loss of influence, honor, land, ect, he joined House Martok. This was also due to his discomendation, but similar situations are what happens to house leadership.

I never "justified" anything. I wouldn't have cared if there were less than five "families". Can you guess why I chose five? And why it also is an arbitrary number based on power and hierarchies?

Look, I have no idea why you tagged me and dragged me back into this.

Read this:

Great House
The Great Houses were a Klingon feudalistic social organization that dominated the Klingon Empire. The twenty-four most powerful Houses were represented on the Klingon High Council. (DIS: "The Vulcan Hello")

Ronald D. Moore stated, "We've never explored the hows and whys regarding the naming of Klingon Houses. The House of Mogh reference was probably something that Worf carried on out of respect for his deceased father. This might be the right of a son – to perpetuate a single name for the House instead of supplanting it with his own." (AOL chat, 1997)

Ron Moore's concept of the conflicting, family-organized Great Houses was inspired by the Dune mythology created by Frank Herbert. In a Klingon-defining memo which Moore sent to Michael Piller at the outset of working on "Sins of the Father", Moore stated, "A Klingon regards the honor of his or her family to be valuable, above all else.
If this doesn't satisfy you, nothing will. This was the first time I read this article, and I had never needed to because what it's saying is incredibly obvious to anyone who has read ten thousand pages of the Dune series, or has any understanding at all of Feudal hierarchies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back