The Star Trek Thread, V5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically they are trying to expand the canon of the Klingons. The Klingons control vast areas of the quadrant and control hundreds if not thousands of worlds.They are basically trying to set up that the various houses or groups of Klingons have evolved and may look slightly different depending on where the are from. Part of that new lore was that some of the worlds had crazy predators and dangers that required klingons to use the Ridges in there head, which is a sensory organ, and need shaved heads for full use of them. Its a cool premises, and it sounds like they will explore it more in the future. If they just added some hair, the changes don't actually look too drastic. It won't won't surprise me if some of them start appearing with hair in the future.
So, they have not shown any TOS style Klingons or TNG style Klingons, but you suspect they may do that in the future due to the above stated?

Voyager is great.

I actually really enjoyed Voyager, for the most part. My main issue with it was the unlikeable and weak pussy ass characters. Paris, Kim, Neelix, Kes, and Torres were intolerable to the point that I wanted to choke them out nearly every time they were on screen. They were just such limp wristed bitches. And I hated how they basically turned the Borg, who were scary as shit in TNG, into full fledged jobbers and stripped away their mystique almost entirely. Unreal.

Janeway, Chakotay, Seven, the Doctor, and Tuvoc were ok. Overall the show was vastly inferior to TNG, but I still enjoyed the premise quite a lot. And the finale was actually really enjoyable. And the ship itself was pretty cool. But yeah, overall I'd say I was pretty into it.

Enterprise was boring as all hell. And Discovery is practically unwatchable. It's trash.

Ideally, I want a series that's exactly like TNG/DS9/VOY in look and feel (as those were all identical in that regard) but set maybe 20-30 years after Nemesis.

So, they have not shown any TOS style Klingons or TNG style Klingons, but you suspect they may do that in the future due to the above stated?
I could see them doing that, and I personally think that would appease many fans. A little hair would go a long way. The fleshed out Klingons in the series are actually pretty cool characters. L'rell in particular had a cool story arc, and made the Klingons much more then raving barbarians like the first episode shows.

Ideally, I want a series that's exactly like TNG/DS9/VOY in look and feel (as those were all identical in that regard) but set maybe 20-30 years after Nemesis.
Rumor going around that CBS has several trek series on the board, and the one with the most support,would follow one particular crew member from one of the 24th century crews(TNG, DS9, VOY), and the ship he's on in his current time(20-30 years from when we last saw them) They are even as far as salary negotiations, but no word yet on who it will feature, until they get more inside info.

The Salary negotiation thing makes me think Patrick Stewart, but not sure if he would want to go back to TV in his mid 70s now, and if they could afford him. I don't really see anyone from DS9 or VOY they would base a new series around all these years later. My guess would be they are thinking of finally doing Star Trek: Titan , Staring Jonathan Frakes. He is still fairly active in Hollywood with a very productive directing career, and CBS has also been happy to have him on Discovery and using him in the press to promote it. You would have a popular character now in a captain role, and would still be able to have cameos from various other TNG, DS9, and VOY People. This would also make many old fans happy. What do you guys think?

I would love it - if they adhere to canon and general feel of these series (look can be updated to accomodate in-series passage of time).

I don't need Riker to make a Discovery cameo e.g.

I would love it - if they adhere to canon and general feel of these series (look can be updated to accomodate in-series passage of time).

I don't need Riker to make a Discovery cameo e.g.
They are talking of making separate series apart from discovery. My Theory is Titan with Frakes as the lead, but I bet any new series will be 24th century based(or maybe even farther into the future). They are also working on possible mini series or TV movies, like Nick Meyer has been working on(a Khan mini series)

Rumor going around that CBS has several trek series on the board, and the one with the most support,would follow one particular crew member from one of the 24th century crews(TNG, DS9, VOY), and the ship he's on in his current time(20-30 years from when we last saw them) They are even as far as salary negotiations, but no word yet on who it will feature, until they get more inside info.

The Salary negotiation thing makes me think Patrick Stewart, but not sure if he would want to go back to TV in his mid 70s now, and if they could afford him. I don't really see anyone from DS9 or VOY they would base a new series around all these years later. My guess would be they are thinking of finally doing Star Trek: Titan , Staring Jonathan Frakes. He is still fairly active in Hollywood with a very productive directing career, and CBS has also been happy to have him on Discovery and using him in the press to promote it. You would have a popular character now in a captain role, and would still be able to have cameos from various other TNG, DS9, and VOY People. This would also make many old fans happy. What do you guys think?

That would be freaking amazing! I just hope to God they don't try and make it look like the JJ-verse. Make it look like TNG, albeit with better/modern FX. (And give us an amazing theme song. TNG had Jerry Goldsmith's awesome score. DS9's was terrible. It sounded like nothing. Voyager's sounded cheap, though it was still passable)

However, at this point, Riker should be an Admiral, if not retired. I remember the final scene of Nemesis where you see Picard on the bridge of the E and I almost felt sorry for him that he was still a measly captain. I know that's what he wanted, but it's ridiculous that a man of his stature would STILL be a Captain and Starfleet wouldn't give him additional powers beyond that rank. He should have been goddamn Fleet Admiral. I would love to see Riker back as the lead of the show, but I'd feel a bit awkward seeing him as merely a Captain. Why the hell can't Starfleet amend their rules and let Admirals be the lead of a ship? But ultimately, I'd suck it up if it meant getting Riker back in a TNG-like show.

Anyway, if not Riker, maybe Geordi? Or...... what about Captain Seven? Finally a MILF Captain!

<{jackyeah}>

That would be freaking amazing! I just hope to God they don't try and make it look like the JJ-verse. Make it look like TNG, albeit with better/modern FX. (And give us an amazing theme song. TNG had Jerry Goldsmith's awesome score. DS9's was terrible. It sounded like nothing. Voyager's sounded cheap, though it was still passable)

However, at this point, Riker should be an Admiral, if not retired. I remember the final scene of Nemesis where you see Picard on the bridge of the E and I almost felt sorry for him that he was still a measly captain. I know that's what he wanted, but it's ridiculous that a man of his stature would STILL be a Captain and Starfleet wouldn't give him additional powers beyond that rank. He should have been goddamn Fleet Admiral. I would love to see Riker back as the lead of the show, but I'd feel a bit awkward seeing him as merely a Captain. Why the hell can't Starfleet amend their rules and let Admirals be the lead of a ship? But ultimately, I'd suck it up if it meant getting Riker back in a TNG-like show.

Anyway, if not Riker, maybe Geordi? Or...... what about Captain Seven? Finally a MILF Captain!

<{jackyeah}>

You can always have a ''federation in crisis" scenario that forces Riker to go back to active duty.

I could see them doing that, and I personally think that would appease many fans. A little hair would go a long way. The fleshed out Klingons in the series are actually pretty cool characters. L'rell in particular had a cool story arc, and made the Klingons much more then raving barbarians like the first episode shows.

I just can't get over the fact that they are expressionless with all of those hideous prosthetics. I don't think there is any way of righting that wrong.

<{jackyeah}>
Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.

<{jackyeah}>
In the Titan book series, Riker became an Admiral about 5 years into his captaincy. He has become a fleet Admiral, and Titan is now his flagship. His First officer, Vale, was promoted to captain and it is her ship, but Riker has command of the fleet, and so while not in charge of day to day running of the ship and managing the crew, he still dictates where they go, and the missions they follow. That could be a cool, new element to see a show with admiral Riker.

Picard was the number two For the head fleet admiral after, after the Stargazer was lost. He got his fill of what goes on for Admirals, and serving under them for 7 years. Admiral Hansen kept him in that role, even though Picard requested he get a new ship as soon as possible. Hansen wanted to learn all aspects of Admiral operations, and kept him out of a new ship, on purpose to give him command of the Enterprise D, the new Federation Flag Ship.

I just can't get over the fact that they are expressionless with all of those hideous prosthetics. I don't think there is any way of righting that wrong.
You need to keep watching. They did look awful in the first episode with T'Kuvna, but the got better as the series continued.. The make up and performance of L'rell was amazing.

What'd I say a few days ago. Kurtzmana goal is to become the new Rick Berman. This deal, gives him that power. Also they claim that the new series will feature Patrick Stewart. In other articles leaked today other possible new series and mini series that are soon in the development process is a Star Fleet academy based series, a mini series on the life of Khan and a animated series, which Kurtzman and his former writing partner Orci tried pitching years ago. Exciting times in trek world.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...os-will-expand-star-trek-tv-franchise-1104232
Alex Kurtzman Inks $25M Overall Deal Extension With CBS TV Studios, Will Expand 'Star Trek' TV Franchise
Kurtzman recently took over as showrunner on CBA All Access' 'Star Trek: Discovery,' exec produces CBS' 'Hawaii Five-0,' 'Scorpion' and 'Instinct,' and may live long and prosper with yet another show in the works.
Matthew Simmons/FilmMagic
Alex Kurtzman

Kurtzman recently took over as showrunner on CBA All Access' 'Star Trek: Discovery,' exec produces CBS' 'Hawaii Five-0,' 'Scorpion' and 'Instinct,' and may live long and prosper with yet another show in the works.
Alex Kurtzman is staying in business with CBS Television Studios.

The exec producer behind CBS All Access' Star Trek: Discovery has renewed his overall deal with CBS Television Studios, signing a massive five-year extension with the studio behind the drama. The new agreement keeps Kurtzman, whose deal was up this year, with the studio through 2023. Sources say the deal is estimated at $5 million per year as Kurtzman receives a sizable back-end on his programming.

Under the new pact, Kurtzman will serve as the show's lone showrunner after taking over Star Trek: Discovery from Aaron Harberts and Gretchen Berg, who were recently fired from the series. Kurtzman will also expand the Star Trek franchise for the small screen, developing new series, miniseries and other content, including animation.

The new deal comes as rumblings about another Star Trek series, featuring Patrick Stewart reprising his role as Star Trek: The Next Generation's Capt. Jean-Luc Picard, have been heating up. Sources say Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman, who left Discovery after season one, are attached to the Stewart-led reboot. CBS TV Studios declined to confirm the Stewart project as sources say a deal is far from completed and may not happen despite the fact that the actor recently teased his potential return to the franchise.

READ MORE
'Star Trek: Discovery' Showrunners Out; Alex Kurtzman to Take Over (Exclusive)
“There is a very short list of writer-producer-directors that every film and television studio wants to be associated with, and Alex and his Secret Hideout team are always at the top,” said David Stapf, CBS Television Studios president. “His talent, taste and ability to shepherd a successful project is unparalleled. Alex has done remarkable work for our Studio, dating back seven years to the launch of Hawaii Five-0, and we are thrilled that he, Heather and their team will be partnering with us for a long time to come.”
This marks Kurtzman's second solo deal with the studio after splitting from former producing partner Roberto Orci in 2016. Kurtzman and his Secret Hideout banner, led by president Heather Kadin and senior vp tv Aaron Baiers, also exec produced CBS' recently renewed Instinct, veteran procedural Hawaii Five-0 and Scorpion, the latter of which was canceled in May. Under Kurtzman's new deal, Secret Hideout will also continue to develop new projects for broadcast, cable and streaming platforms. The banner remains exclusive to CBS TV Studios. Secret Hideout will also expand its production hub, adding inclusive voices and cultivating new talent. Kurtzman is currently developing The Man Who Fell to Earth for Hulu with Jenny Lumet.

“Heather, Aaron and I are thrilled to continue Secret Hideout’s amazing partnership with CBS Television Studios,” Kurtzman said. “Since our first collaboration with Hawaii Five-0 almost a decade ago, Les [Moonves], David and the full team at CBS Studios have been our foremost collaborators and champions, treating each project with integrity, supporting the creative visions and working breathlessly to make each episode of every show the best it can be. CBS has also allowed us the great pleasure of reintroducing the world of Star Trek audiences new and old, and we are very excited to keep working alongside them to expand that world.”
READ MORE
'Star Trek: Discovery' Boss Gets Candid About Those Big Delays and Season 2
Star Trek: Discovery, meanwhile, has proven to be a success for subscription platform CBS All Access after two showrunner changes, including Bryan Fuller. In announcing its season two renewal, CBS All Access — which does not release viewership information — said Star Trek: Discovery helped drive subscriber growth to the new platform. Production on season two started in April, the series is expected to return in early 2019.

Kurtzman's decision to remain at his longtime home at CBS Television Studios comes as other showrunners have begun to survey their options after Netflix recently poached prolific producers Shonda Rhimes (Grey's Anatomy, Scandal) and Ryan Murphy (Glee, American Crime Story) with nine-figure overall deals. For his part, Greg Berlanti recently illustrated that you don't need to leave the broadcast studio system to score a nine-figure deal after he renewed his Warner Bros. TV pact for $400 million.

Kurtzman joins a roster of producers at CBS Television Studios that also includes Jerry Bruckheimer, Peter Lenkov, Aline Brosh McKenna and Robert and Michelle King. The deal comes after veteran producers Eric and Kim Tannenbaum exited their CBS TV Studios deal for Lionsgate Television.

Kurtzman is repped by CAA and Gendler & Kel

Picard is my favorite. I would love for him to return, but I can't imagine him as a Captain.

Though if he is, I hope he's still got the E.

Picard is my favorite. I would love for him to return, but I can't imagine him as a Captain.

Though if he is, I hope he's still got the E.
In the books he's still captain of the Enterprise E and in his early 80s, with Worf as his first officer and Geordie his 2nd. He married Beverly and they have a young son name Rene.

I guess more can be better.
Here's what is making the rounds in all the press today as whats in production

1. A series set at Starfleet Academy from creators Stephanie Savage and Josh Schwartz. The duo most recently developed the CW’s reboot of “Dynasty” and previously created shows like “Gossip Girl” and Hulu and Marvel’s “Runaways.”

2. A limited series whose plot details are being kept under wraps.

3. A limited series based around the “Wrath of Khan” story. Khan’s full name is Khan Noonien Singh. He was famously portrayed by Ricardo Montalbán in both the original series episode “Space Seed” and again in the film “Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan.” Benedict Cumberbatch then played the character in the 2013 film “Star Trek Into Darkness.”

4. An animated series whose plot details are being kept under wraps.

5. TNG Reboot staring Patrick Stewart reprising Jean-Luc Picard

Number 1 and 5 are apparently then ones that are farthest along in development. Nick Meyer has been writing the Khan Mini series for the past year, and said CBS told him they were waiting until the CBS and Paramount merger talks are concluded.

Here's what is making the rounds in all the press today as whats in production

1. A series set at Starfleet Academy from creators Stephanie Savage and Josh Schwartz. The duo most recently developed the CW’s reboot of “Dynasty” and previously created shows like “Gossip Girl” and Hulu and Marvel’s “Runaways.”

2. A limited series whose plot details are being kept under wraps.

3. A limited series based around the “Wrath of Khan” story. Khan’s full name is Khan Noonien Singh. He was famously portrayed by Ricardo Montalbán in both the original series episode “Space Seed” and again in the film “Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan.” Benedict Cumberbatch then played the character in the 2013 film “Star Trek Into Darkness.”

4. An animated series whose plot details are being kept under wraps.

5. TNG Reboot staring Patrick Stewart reprising Jean-Luc Picard

Number 1 and 5 are apparently then ones that are farthest along in development. Nick Meyer has been writing the Khan Mini series for the past year, and said CBS told him they were waiting until the CBS and Paramount merger talks are concluded.

#1 would have greatly appealed to me in the 90s or early 2000s. But not anymore. Not with the way Hollywood is now, to the degree that it is.

As for Picard coming back, I think I wouldn't mind them following the books and him being married and having a son. That would certainly make up for his loss in Generations. But if the E returns to the small screen, that would be amazing. I hope they'll update it to include slipstream drive in addition with its warp drive, as well as transphasic torpedoes and ablative hull armor.

Then every time they go to red alert, we can see the gloriousness of:

tumblr_n2d7liboRi1rzu2xzo1_400.gif

I'd like Picard and the Doctor from Voyager.

Yeah, seeing the Doctor and Beverly together as medical partners would be awesome.

And Seven. That would be sweet seeing her as part of Picard's new crew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back