The Star Spangled Banner national anthem is racist per NAACP

This is actually nothing new, it's one of those things that pops up every few years. People talk about it for a couple days, then the discussion goes away for a few years.

Basically we sing the first stanza from an existing poem. There are four more stanzas that are not sang as part of the anthem, that contain some questionable language.

So their issue is with the original poem, not the lyrics we actually sing.

Here is the entire poem, the 3rd stanza is where they have a problem:

Thank you for that information.
I find it strange to want to get rid of the national anthem when it doesn't include the potentially offensive lyrics (parts of the poem that can be seen as offensive).
Since it is not in the anthem then debates about this just create more division/anger imo which I don't find good for the country. However I am not an expert on these issues and may be wrong about this.

Thank you for that information.
I find it strange to want to get rid of the national anthem when it doesn't include the potentially offensive lyrics (parts of the poem that can be seen as offensive).
Since it is not in the anthem then debates about this just create more division/anger imo which I don't find good for the country. However I am not an expert on these issues and may be wrong about this.

I agree with you. Nothing in the song that we sing can be interpreted as offensive, and hardly anybody knows or cares that there are extra verses in the poem.

I've actually also heard people make the argument that we should replace the anthem with a song that is less violent, since it is about war. The most popular replacement request is the song America the beautiful. I like America the Beautiful, but again, I don't see any reason to replace the current anthem at all.

Only two countries in the world have a national anthem that does not actually have the words of the country in the anthem: USA & the Netherlands

I'm not a big fan of the dutch.

debates about this just create more division/anger imo which I don't find good for the country. However I am not an expert on these issues and may be wrong about this.
No, your correct. It generates anger. Bunches and bunches of anger. Some disgust and possibly a bit of bile. Although the continual race fracking has left even the strategic emotional reserves pressured to keep up with predicted demands moving into the future.

Only two countries in the world have a national anthem that does not actually have the words of the country in the anthem: USA & the Netherlands

That is a great little piece of trivia.

Ah yes, the NAACP. They call still call themselves "Colored People" which is good to know because it means my Dad doesn't have to retire the term yet.

We slide a little further down that slippery slope every day.

I prefer this anthem

6196980.jpg

It wasn’t yesterday. But it is today!

That’s when you know you have nothing real to bitch about.

I agree that there's no reason to honor the verse in question, and that it's not appropriate for a national anthem, but it's also rarely sung and nobody knows it except once every so often when it becomes a political issue again. I'd rather ditch the whole thing, personally. Gimme the first verse of America The Beautiful and leave it at that.
America The Beautiful is a far better song.

The Star Spangled Banner is a pile of shit sprinkled with question marks. An empty, insubstantial poem about bombs going off, which we're forced to take seriously. It's horrendous.

America The Beautiful is a far better song.

The Star Spangled Banner is a pile of shit sprinkled with question marks. An empty, insubstantial poem about bombs going off, which we're forced to take seriously. It's horrendous.
It really is utter dogshit for poetry. "Oh say can you see by the dawn's early light what so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming" is pretty good imo, but then it just falls the fuck apart into choppy, poorly chosen words and awkward phrasing with consonants that are trying to kill each other.

NAACP stands for having a racial viewpoint. The name of their game is to see things in those terms. Whatever undermines whitey.

I am not American but your anthem is pretty fucking dominant, I'm not gonna lie

I am not American but your anthem is pretty fucking dominant, I'm not gonna lie
Why? It's gibberish.

Everyone else seems to have one that talks about happiness and friendship and warm fuzzy stuff like that, or at least talks about hope. Ours is about our flag getting bombed and someone unsure if it's still there.

Why? It's gibberish.

Everyone else seems to have one that talks about happiness and friendship and warm fuzzy stuff like that, or at least talks about hope. Ours is about our flag getting bombed and someone unsure if it's still there.
I'm not analysing it for literary content, just how it sounds.

Back