The So Called "Virtues" Of Being On A Small Record Label

Blackjack

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Sometimes I see people extolling the virtues of being on a small record label with very limited resources (what their proponents call "indie labels) and they say what a great thing it is for bands to no longer have to put up with getting "screwed over by the major labels. Do any of them actually believe what they're saying, or is it just more likely envy over not getting the opportunities bands used to get? Would any of the indie proponents make the claim that Metallica would have been better off staying with Megaforce records instead of going to Elektra records? I seriously doubt it.

When I bought Kill 'Em All I had to go to an import record store because, since Metallica was on Megaforce at the time, they didn't have the distribution to have their records available at any of the major record store chains. I guarantee you that when James Hetfield is counting his millions of dollars he isn't lamenting that he didn't stay with Megaforce Records instead of signing with one of the major record labels that are so notorious for "screwing bands over." I guarantee you any of the struggling bands that have made their debut in the last 15 years and are touring relentlessly to just barely break even would absolutely LOVE to get screwed over the way bands like Metallica, Guns 'n Roses, Queensryche, Van Halen, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, etc got "screwed over."

Last edited:
Nope, mostly it's just marketing bullshit. Journalists used to bang on about their favourite bands being indie to give them cred, but most indies were owned, licensed or had their records distributed by the majors. Worse most of these indie bands jumped onto major record labels the second a cheque got waved in their faces. Sonic Youth being a prime example. I love SY but they didn't half talk a lot of bullshit in their time.

Nope, mostly it's just marketing bullshit. Journalists used to bang on about their favourite bands being indie to give them cred, but most indies were owned, licensed or had their records distributed by the majors. Worse most of these indie bands jumped onto major record labels the second a cheque got waved in their faces. Sonic Youth being a prime example. I love SY but they didn't half talk a lot of bullshit in their time.

Sure, these bands on indie labels almost always went to a major label when given the offer. All the "Big Four" of thrash started on small labels and went to major labels -- Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, and Anthrax.

Back