The SIMPLE and VERY EFFECTIVE Way To Keep Posture In Guard Using "Sticky Hands" by Jason Scully

jaysculls

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Here is a video I made on how I approach PROPERLY keeping your posture inside the closed guard using the "Sticky Hands" concept. This is a concept that has helped myself, those I have taught, and tons of Grapplers Guide members keep their posture.

This is just the basics of "Sticky Hands" and there is even more to it!

Thanks for watching!
Jason Scully

I've always found putting my hand just below their sternum is best.

Can you just keep your hands on hips, and when opponent goes to shuck your arms, you simply circle them around? And if he does try to sick up, just move your arms up a little and push him back down, then move you hands back to his hips.

This was money in training yesterday. Blue kept on trying to get my arm across for a sweep. He'd been successful in the past, but not last night.

This was money in training yesterday. Blue kept on trying to get my arm across for a sweep. He'd been successful in the past, but not last night.

So glad the concept has helped you. That's just the start to. There's so much more to it along with other things I do in the system as well.

A lot people probably ignored that video not realizing that this simple concept is an overnight game changer for so many who have issues keeping their posture.

It's effective, simple, energy efficient, and frustrating to your partners and opponent's.

The #1 response you are going to see and get from many who experience this against then is frustration which will also lead them to do things they don't want to do.

The "Stick Hands" concept is extremely underrated and very under taught.

Jason Scully

Can you just keep your hands on hips, and when opponent goes to shuck your arms, you simply circle them around? And if he does try to sick up, just move your arms up a little and push him back down, then move you hands back to his hips.

In my opinion this is not energy efficient and takes too much effort and unnecessary attempts at proper timing. The "Sticky Hands" concept just makes thing much easier.

This new video is a continuation from the original “Sticky Hands” posture video that I posted the other day. The original video showed the posture concept without the gi and this one talks about using “Sticky Hands” when you are wearing the gi.

I also briefly talk about posturing up with the gi on and the proper way to do it so you can make it harder for your opponent to pull you down when they are pulling at your gi. The concepts in this video and the original video are simple but very effective. They are also much more energy efficient than other methods of trying to keep posture.

If you did not watch the original video, it’s highly recommended that you watch that video as well.

The original video is posted in the first post of this thread.

This is part of a posture system that I use to keep posture. There are other concepts I use but even using “Sticky Hands” alone will help more than if you did not use. it.

Thanks for watching!
Jason Scully

This is actually the only way I've ever been taught to keep your posture. All the other ways I've seen people use I've never been shown at all.

This is actually the only way I've ever been taught to keep your posture. All the other ways I've seen people use I've never been shown at all.

You’re a lucky one! I’m being serious actually because tons of people are shown others ways, other than this.

Usually the ckosest I’ve seen a person get taught something similar is when they are told to bunch of the gi lapels and grab them, which may get them in the proper spot but usually with someone who isn’t super tall.

Also they aren’t usually taught the “sticking” concept of popping the shoulder of their opponent when necessary as well. Along with not being taught to constantly cover the “home base” too.

Every single seminar I have ever taught, I have never seen someone use “sticky hands” when I asked them to do a live posturing drill.

You’re a lucky one! I’m being serious actually because tons of people are shown others ways, other than this.

Usually the ckosest I’ve seen a person get taught something similar is when they are told to bunch of the gi lapels and grab them, which may get them in the proper spot but usually with someone who isn’t super tall.

Also they aren’t usually taught the “sticking” concept of popping the shoulder of their opponent when necessary as well. Along with not being taught to constantly cover the “home base” too.

Every single seminar I have ever taught, I have never seen someone use “sticky hands” when I asked them to do a live posturing drill.

Yea the actual sticky hands thing I haven’t been shown. What you described earlier in this post about grabbing the gi lapels (I only do gi) is most likely what I’ve been shown.

Was Wing Chun an inspiration? :p Cause you know they have a drill called "sticky hands", right?

Thanks @jaysculls , I've been trying this approach and it's working for me. Gotta few audible sighs while doing pass, sweep or submit yesterday.

Was Wing Chun an inspiration? :p Cause you know they have a drill called "sticky hands", right?

It was not actually. I didn't relate it to wing chung sticky hands when I named it. It just popped in my head. I also call it the "E-Honda" referencing the Street Fighter character.

It was not actually. I didn't relate it to wing chung sticky hands when I named it. It just popped in my head. I also call it the "E-Honda" referencing the Street Fighter character.
E Honda sounds way cooler, stick with that. ;)

Back