The shooter from the California rampage just ended the 'reasonable gun law' argument yesterday

You don't even need that, you can buy a jig for an 80% lower and use a router.

Yeah? Last I read they were still making $1200 machines to mill out 80% receivers. Those cheap chinese CNC machines aren't up to doing one from scratch, what's the entry point?

So a guy broke the law and committed a crime, so the laws are pointless?

Good news guys! Purge 24/7!
For better and for worse, the era of the State being able to pick and choose who is allowed to possess arms is now over.

Cody Wilson's invention has let several cats out of the bag. Any attempt to suppress this technology will result in tyrannical levels of intrusion in areas of free speech and privacy.

Use of firearm for nefarious acts resulting in injury/death = Life no parole.
Use of firearm for nefarious or illegal acts = 50 years no parole
Unlawful ownership of firearm = 15 years no parole (per firearm)
Failure to annually register legally purcahsed weapon = 3 years no parole (per firearm per year)
Failure to take yearly weapon-safety training class = 3 years no parole (per firearm per year)

There. Now everyone can have their guns and "bad guys" go away.

Amerilard right-wingers:

"Not all guns!"

Also Amerilad right-wingers:

"Ban all muslims"

Unlawful ownership of firearm = 15 years no parole (per firearm)
Failure to annually register legally purcahsed weapon = 3 years no parole (per firearm per year)
But wouldn't failure to annually register the legally purchased weapon also constitute unlawful ownership of firearm - and be an automatic 15 years?

Doesn't matter anyway since there is no legislation that can be written that will actually make criminals obey the law.

Why is the general public allowed 3D printers.

I have To image that in the future there is going to have to be steps to go through to buy these machines. Especially when the tech gets so advanced.

Doesn't this break patent laws and things of that nature

In my engineering school pretty much every grad student owned at least one personal 3d printer, and undergrads had unlimited access to multiple 3d printing banks and could print anything they wanted for free throughout the university.

Even the local UPS had half a dozen 3d printers you could rent out for a job.

The cats out of the bag and this isn't some new technology coming on the scene its being pushed HEAVILY in most universities engineering programs.

3d printing was treated as the greatest thing since sliced bread during my time there, and I just graduated last spring so its only going to be more heavily emphasized. They are moving heavily away from traditional manufacturing and CNCing to 3d printing, and we had several semester long projects centered around designing and printing stuff.

Edit: Also we always had speakers come in and go over patent law and intellectual property. If we stole any intellectual property it was the same as plagiarism and you'd fail the class and were at risk of getting expelled.

In terms of what they told us about life in the "industry" its basically a patent is only as good as the patent holders willingness to defend it. Just because you have a patent doesn't mean any government institution is going to defend your intellectual property if someone steals your idea. Its up to you to find out and take them to court. Also just because you have a patent in the US it doesn't mean you are protected in Poland for instance you might need to get many different international patents to fully protect your product.

All these processes and potential litigation can cost many millions of dollars particularly if you start trying to patent and defend your idea overseas. Which is why only major corporations seek out and pursue patent violations regularly. The lawyers they brought in told us that often the best thing to do if we were starting our own companies or had our own ideas was just keep our processes and concepts as a "trade secret" because trying to properly defend a patent would bankrupt any smaller company.

Last edited:
But wouldn't failure to annually register the legally purchased weapon also constitute unlawful ownership of firearm - and be an automatic 15 years?

Doesn't matter anyway since there is no legislation that can be written that will actually make criminals obey the law.

Also one of the major topics we are hearing about today is the corrupt criminal justice system, and how the war on drugs has led to massively overcrowded prison systems and incentivized imprisoning millions of otherwise non-violent drug offenders. Yet on the other hand we get this idea which turns millions of otherwise peaceful Americans into felons in order to send them into prison thus sending overcrowding to new unheard of levels, and undoubtedly creating all kinds of black market transactions and government corruption.

Last edited:
Your not going to stop tech like 3d printers unless you want to start a tech war that the government can't win.

The government is supposed to be afraid of the people. It's supposed to be how they're held in check.

So no idea on patent and IP laws

Why is the general public allowed 3D printers.

I have To image that in the future there is going to have to be steps to go through to buy these machines. Especially when the tech gets so advanced.

Doesn't this break patent laws and things of that nature

I know a guy with a printer that sells gaming systems fully loaded with every game. For instance, an SNES that has every game ever made for SNES preloaded. Dude advertises them on his personal facebook. Wouldn't be surprised if the IRS comes knocking some day.

In my engineering school pretty much every grad student owned at least one personal 3d printer, and undergrads had unlimited access to multiple 3d printing banks and could print anything they wanted for free throughout the university.

Even the local UPS had half a dozen 3d printers you could rent out for a job.

The cats out of the bag and this isn't some new technology coming on the scene its being pushed HEAVILY in most universities engineering programs.

3d printing was treated as the greatest thing since sliced bread during my time there, and I just graduated last spring so its only going to be more heavily emphasized. They are moving heavily away from traditional manufacturing and CNCing to 3d printing, and we had several semester long projects centered around designing and printing stuff.

Edit: Also we always had speakers come in and go over patent law and intellectual property. If we stole any intellectual property it was the same as plagiarism and you'd fail the class and were at risk of getting expelled.

In terms of what they told us about life in the "industry" its basically a patent is only as good as the patent holders willingness to defend it. Just because you have a patent doesn't mean any government institution is going to defend your intellectual property if someone steals your idea. Its up to you to find out and take them to court. Also just because you have a patent in the US it doesn't mean you are protected in Poland for instance you might need to get many different international patents to fully protect your product.

All these processes and potential litigation can cost many millions of dollars particularly if you start trying to patent and defend your idea overseas. Which is why only major corporations seek out and pursue patent violations regularly. The lawyers they brought in told us that often the best thing to do if we were starting our own companies or had our own ideas was just keep our processes and concepts as a "trade secret" because trying to properly defend a patent would bankrupt any smaller company.

A lot of "Patent trolls" are getting weeded out these days with the start of PTAB (Patent Trial and Appeal Board). This has significantly decreased the amount of patent litigation, and thus, the associated costs. So it isn't nearly as bad today as it was, say, a decade ago, to defend a patent. But still expensive nonetheless.

I know a guy with a printer that sells gaming systems fully loaded with every game. For instance, an SNES that has every game ever made for SNES preloaded. Dude advertises them on his personal facebook. Wouldn't be surprised if the IRS comes knocking some day.

Yeah that's what I mean. How are intellectual properties upheld with 3d printers.

And can you buy me one of those SNES and I'll send you money lol

A lot of "Patent trolls" are getting weeded out these days with the start of PTAB (Patent Trial and Appeal Board). This has significantly decreased the amount of patent litigation, and thus, the associated costs. So it isn't nearly as bad today as it was, say, a decade ago, to defend a patent. But still expensive nonetheless.

Still I think people are greatly misunderstanding how the protection patents give the holder work.

I can pretty much go on solidworks and make any design I want and 3D print it out, and as long as I don't sell it no one can come and sue me because i printed something that matches their design. And even if i did print out and sell 20 widgets that happened to be copied by someone else its a one in a billion shot anyone ever finds out and comes knocking. Patent laws only become a problem when Samsung steals something off of apple or some Chinese company starts mass producing tens of thousands of stolen patent holders widgets a day. 3D printing is really meant for small scale production and rapid prototyping or one off designs its not good for mass producing simple objects over and over.

Last edited:
Yeah that's what I mean. How are intellectual properties upheld with 3d printers.

It's as simple as Nintendo is not going to track down a guy and litigate against him unless he really starts churning those copies out and doing some serious advertising . He could probably sell hundreds of them to friends and acquaintances on Facebook and Nintendo would never even know about it. Its a possibility he gets caught but someone either has to tell Nintendo or he has to get so big they find out about him themselves, and then they have to have to have the motivation to actually go out and sue this guy.

It's as simple as Nintendo is not going to track down a guy and litigate against him unless he really starts churning those copies out and doing some serious advertising . He could probably sell hundreds of them to friends and acquaintances on Facebook and Nintendo would never even know about it. Its a possibility he gets caught but someone either has to tell Nintendo or he has to get so big they find out about him themselves, and then they have to have to have the motivation to actually go out and sue this guy.

But what he's doing breaks patent laws.

And what's to stop lunatics from making arsenals of weapons when they aren't legally allowed to own a gun

And what's to stop lunatics from making arsenals of weapons when they aren't legally allowed to own a gun

But you can only be "prosecuted" for breaking patent laws if the patent holder actually finds out and takes you to civil court. Patent holders are responsible for upholding their patents. Once the government issues you the patent they are out of the equation so its not like there is any government agency out there looking for patent violators.

Technically under the criminal system the government would have to learn this guy produced these weapons then they could prosecute him under existing laws, but there is no way to tell what the guy is printing unless someone he knows rats him out or maybe if he was downloading the files off the internet they could find him but i doubt it considering people download thousands of copyrighted songs and videos, and no one ever raids their home.

I guess also theoretically if Colt holds the patent to the receiver of the gun he is reproducing they could sue whoever went out and 3d printed their design, but as i mentioned before they would never do that because its impossible to tell who is printing what and if they could find out it would be cost prohibitive to blow millions of dollars to stop one guy producing a few receivers.

Last edited:

Anyways, my main point is 3D printing technology isn't that new or novel anymore. Manufacturing industries love it, and engineering programs at universities are starting to revolve around it, and its already really widespread in the general population.

You can print functioning 3D printers from your 3D printer and we are getting consumer models that can print with high strength composites and even metals at very high resolutions. Note also that 3D printers are not meant for mass producing things it's actually really inefficient to go out and 3D print 1000 of something particularly if it takes a lot time to print. The scales of economy don't apply to 3D printing like they do machining and other traditional manufacturing techniques.

I don't think you can just ban 3D printers at this point as they have become pretty integral in a lot of sectors. They also have a lot of neat uses not just for professionals, but for people who have a product but can't afford to prototype or develop it with traditional methods, and even just all kinds of hobbyists who can use 3D printing to make replacement parts, unique designs, and cool one offs they wouldn't be able to purchase commercially

They were so popular at school that they had to give out special codes to engineering students to get our prints to the front of the queue and put halts on new printing jobs because kids at our university from other majors would clog the queues with weeks of printing jobs. Almost anyone can work a 3D modelling program and convert the file into something that can be printed. People would be printing out mini death star replicas and dragon skulls and shit that took 20 hours while the engineering classes were trying to print the crucial part for their final prototype.

Just get a Raspberry Pi in an SNES case for like $60 instead.

Some dude made a 7.62 lower awhile back using a $300 printer.

Failure to take yearly weapon-safety training class = 3 years no parole (per firearm per year)

The other ideas are on the right track, but these suck. You're not sticking it to criminals here. You're sticking it to the rest of us (i.e. the approximately 99.9% of gun owners who don't rob and shoot people). Not sure what you think this will accomplish outside of a shit-ton of inconvenience and increased government spending.

The other ideas are on the right track, but these suck. You're not sticking it to criminals here. You're sticking it to the rest of us (i.e. the approximately 99.9% of gun owners who don't rob and shoot people). Not sure what you think this will accomplish outside of a shit-ton of inconvenience and increased government spending.
"The war on drugs is a failure that created criminals out of nothing, it must stop; we shouldn't make a person into a criminal for just merely using drugs"

"Ban all guns, make criminals out of any and all gun owners."

Sounds reasonable to me.

Back