The Sherdog website and popups

OK - we sell space to a company that does the popups. We can disable certain ones though but I've never gotten it. can you post a screenshot of the winfixer one?

OroborO said:
Is it just me or does sherdog.com bring up alot of pop ups for people. Once I click on a post to read I get a pop up telling me my computer is infected, download winfixer. Is is just my computer that has poor pop up blockers or does this happen to other people. I browse the web all day and when I come to Sherdog it only happens here, whats the deal?

This relates to MMA because I am talking about the Sherdog website in general and love this site, but these pop ups are really messing up my computer. Is this is the wrong section, sorry and can a mod please move it, thanks.
Something wrong with your computer .Download Google toolbar (has a very good pop up blocker),Update and run you antivirus and antispy software.For sure you dont have some of these. I dont get a pop up ever.Not on sherdog ,not on other sites.

( o Y o ) said:
I don't know where it came from, but I use a shitload of sites regularly, and this is the only one it pops up on. And only for the past 10 days to two weeks....hence I have barely been online here, and never for more than 4 or 5 minutes at a time.

Same with me.

Other sites no big deal but that Winfixer thing that i started getting since posting here is horrible

Garrett said:
OK - we sell space to a company that does the popups. We can disable certain ones though but I've never gotten it. can you post a screenshot of the winfixer one?

Can someone please do that for him. Its not really one screenshot its about 4 that come up at once and when you close them more pop up all for winfixer, its tries everything to get you to download it. I think it happens to alot of people and seen from the posts. Hopefully you can help.

Mozilla firefox, automatically blocks that shit
PS- Anything but windows explorer

fuck this shit
I use mozilla under linux and it has a built-in popup blocker

AND SHERDOG IS THE ONLY WEBSITE WHERE I GET POPUPS ( for a couple a couple of days )

so it means it's pretty aggressive

kakashi said:
fuck this shit
I use mozilla under linux and it has a built-in popup blocker

AND SHERDOG IS THE ONLY WEBSITE WHERE I GET POPUPS ( for a couple a couple of days )

so it means it's pretty aggressive

well, i run firefox, and some internet security programs which also block popups, and the only one that EVER gets through on mine is this stupid jamster one, but that seems to go away day to day.

~Foz

juggo said:
Get a real browser like FireFox or even Opera. Should take care of pop-ups and any other ads that aren't actually in the page itself.

Bingo. If you're naive enough to use internet explorer even after being recommended to use Firefox or Opera than you deserve to see the popups.

BTW -- these popups are NOT messing up your computer. They are a minor annoyance but they also allow Sherdog to earn money from this website which we all enjoy for free.

John Creed said:
Bingo. If you're naive enough to use internet explorer even after being recommended to use Firefox or Opera than you deserve to see the popups.

BTW -- these popups are NOT messing up your computer. They are a minor annoyance but they also allow Sherdog to earn money from this website which we all enjoy for free.

I use a pop up blocker.

In the space it took me to write one post I just had that fucker pop up 11 times.

I had to re-write the message as the entire window closed on the 9th time I clicked the cancel button on the fucker.

that is far more than minor.

( o Y o ) said:
I use a pop up blocker.

In the space it took me to write one post I just had that fucker pop up 11 times.

I had to re-write the message as the entire window closed on the 9th time I clicked the cancel button on the fucker.

that is far more than minor.

Damn thats bad, I always use mozilla and still the winfixer pop up gets through and just recently a few pop ups have been showing up, atleast the others you can click and close them on one try, but winfixer is a pain, close it once, four windows pop up, and winfixer comes up atleast once right when you sign on.

I'm using Windows XP with Mozilla Firefox and I've never had a pop-up at Sherdog, although the banners with sound are extremely annoying.

Pop-ups are generated depending on were you live. So the advertisers are prob. targeting countries they believe are living the most stupid people ;)

Never have any pop-ups, living in Holland and using Firefox.

I get a ridiculous amount of pop ups on this site. So many that my companies computer guy has told my boss to make sure I don't go on this website anymore. What sucks is that work is where I do my sherdog surfing so I still do come one here. And he won't let me put on any sort of pop up blockers because he says the only sure way to avoid pop ups is avoid the internet.

I get them here too. It sucks. I'm thinking about closing my account.

(OYO), the popups tricked you. The popups are designed to look like Windows error messages, but they are fake. It's not a real cancel button. The whole popup is a link, which directs you to whatever malicious content they want to direct at you. The only way actually to close the window is to press the X in the top right corner. You should definitely scan your computer for spyware / malware / viruses. This is my point, by the way, in my reply to http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=360283 . These pop-ups are totally deceptive and manipulative. No respectable or credible website should allow them to run off their site. Garrett, you said you can disable some of them. They should ALL be disabled. If you get paid per click, then that means you're paid every time one of your users gets infected with adware and malware. That's not right. Ads for training equipment, mma shows, memorabilia - great. Getting paid to trick your readers / customers into downloading malicious software - I don't dig it. Btw, I am otherwise a big fan of the site, and I hope you guys can see importance of fixing this major drawback.

Holy necromancy Batman!

Interestingly this thread is number 1 result for "Sherdog website is shit" on Google. 11 years after the thread was made the website is even fucking worse than it used to be, to the point of being pretty much unreadable on mobile due to unavoidable full page ads.

Sort your shit out Sherdog

Unbearable on mobile. This is a brand new iPhone 6s. Fuck you Sherdog and your owners or admin or whoever puts this dogshit on here. Get cancer.

Back