The sheer stupidity of the "who has he beat" logic

StopDucking

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Name me one great fighter who had a big win before his first big win.

There is none. All great fighters literally beat nobody until they beat somebody.

Yet they all became great fighters.

Never use that retarded logic again.

This doesn't make any sense, because a lot of times 'who has he beat' is used when someone already has a lot of bouts, but loses to top fighters.

This doesn't make any sense, because a lot of times 'who has he beat' is used when someone already has a lot of bouts, but loses to top fighters.
example: high level gatekeepers. This is how bisping was viewed until he beat silva

somewhere between "who has he ever beat" and "never use that retarded logic again" is a happy medium of a balanced and thoughtful fighter analysis and critique.

don't be afraid of that middle 99% gray area. it's harder to think non-binary, but i know you can do it.

example: high level gatekeepers. This is how bisping was viewed until he beat silva

Yep. Or Roy Nelson, who is awesome & has a lot of KOs, but when you look closely at it, doesn't beat top 5 guys.

You must be one of those guys who thought Cyborg didn't deserve to fight Ronda.

Oh wait, you are.

It does work,usually thats correct,but not always. Jon Jones didnt need to beat nobody for me to know he was amazing. I already knew when he beat Bonnar,this dude is going to probably win the belt. When he was signed to fight shogun i knew for sure he was gonna win.

Thats kinda how i feel about Khabib right now. Look at what he is doing to people. His skills speak for themselves.

Yeah, but 'who has he beat' is also ofted used on prospects with no defeats.

Every second poster on Sherdog is just a record fan. They don't watch fights, just google the fighter, glance over his/her record on wikipedia and immediately come to a conclusion on a fighter's whole career/skillset.

All the noobs shit-talking BJ Penn's achievements around here more recently really was the perfect illustration of that.

You must be one of those guys who thought Cyborg didn't deserve to fight Ronda.

Oh wait, you are.

'Deserve' is a stupid word in prize-fighting.

I would buy that PPV in a second.

Right, so since the sentence is used both logically and illogically, therefore it is not the problem, and should not be thrown out as TS suggests.

Name me one great fighter who had a big win before his first big win.

There is none. All great fighters literally beat nobody until they beat somebody.

Yet they all became great fighters.

Never use that retarded logic again.
Can you give us an example of what you're talking about?

It does work,usually thats correct,but not always. Jon Jones didnt need to beat nobody for me to know he was amazing. I already knew when he beat Bonnar,this dude is going to probably win the belt. When he was signed to fight shogun i knew for sure he was gonna win.

Thats kinda how i feel about Khabib right now. Look at what he is doing to people. His skills speak for themselves.

The issue with Khabib is his poor striking, combine that with being relatively short, and I wouldn't say he's the same type of prospect like Jon Jones was. I think previous to becoming Champion, Jones has never even close to being in danger, while Khabib took shots and looked hurt against Michael Johnson.

Khabib's grappling is ridiculous though and if he gets anybody at 155 to the mat, it's basically over

The issue with Khabib is his poor striking, combine that with being relatively short, and I wouldn't say he's the same type of prospect like Jon Jones was. I think previous to becoming Champion, Jones has never even close to being in danger, while Khabib took shots and looked hurt against Michael Johnson.

Khabib's grappling is ridiculous though and if he gets anybody at 155 to the mat, it's basically over
The thing from MJ is so overblown,and his striking is not bad,just stiff....when someone is as good as khabib,they see him get hit once and like OMG. Remember when Fujita hit Fedor,they thought that someone was gonna knock him out,but he stayed undefeated for like 7 decades after that....but yeah..khabibs offensive wrestling/submission defense is RIDICULOUS. When i watched Jones vs Bonnar it was more like,this kid has so many skills but what hes doing out there isnt put together yet, There wasnt any rhyme or reason to alot of what he was doing but he was still too good for bonnar to win. I was like all he needs to do is put his game together..which he obviously did.

giphy.gif

Actually, it's almost only used on prospects with few or no defeats. If the fighter has many defeats, they would just go "look at all those losses".
Can you give us an example of what you're talking about?
There are plenty: Jones before he fought Shogun, Holly before she fought Ronda, Cody before he fought Dom, Khabib, etc.

Back