Law The Search For The 114th Supreme Court Justice: The Witch-Hunt Against Judge Brett Kavanaugh

Who do you believe?

• Total voters
Burden of proof. You were asking to him to provide reasons why he thinks it doesn't work when it should be you providing evidence for their validity.

If you agree then there's not much else that needs to be said. Carry on ole chap.
It's a conversation and I wasn't making an argument that hinged on that point anyway.

I agree that Democrats are smart enough to change their position on a topic, or solidify it, when presented with new information. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of Republicans.

Oh for pete's sake . . . .

Several people in this thread have said that her story is definitely false. I don't have any issue with people believing it's false, it very well may be false for all we know. I just have an issue with people attacking the woman's character, calling her a liar, saying she's somehow a political operative of sorts, etc. It all seems like an incredibly harsh judgement on somebody who, for all we know, is being completely honest.

I think that some of the judgements have left a bad taste in my mouth because of how unlikely they seem to be to me. For example,

In a way it is, but it's not disproving anything, or even directly contradicting what she said. They are just saying they don't remember, not that she was not attacked.

Contradicting would be, "Yeah, I remember that night, and I was with her the whole time and nothing like that happened." But simply not remembering being at a party, or being around certain people, is not really substantial evidence to me at all. Like I said, there are very few parties that I've ever been to that I could remember details like that about.

I haven't seen a transcript of this part. I'm not saying that is not being reported, I'm just saying I read a few things and did not see it yet. I agree that if she's claiming there were only a few people there, and listing the specific people, it is more difficult to believe her recollection of the events is true.

If that's the case, then I'd say that I have a really hard time understanding how her version of the events was accurate. I still don't actually know anything though.

I’m not sure I have read anyone post that anything for sure 100% happened or not. You can’t say that about anything basically

Google for the info you keep asking. And stop thinking anyone who disagrees with you on something is saying they know 100% she’s a liar and the devil

I have read several "witnesses" saying that they have no recollection of the events that Ford describes. That does not mean that none of it happened, it just means that the people do not remember it.

People keep saying though that her story has been debunked, that it has been contradicted, and that people are certain her story is "patently" false.

I'm just trying to figure out how in the world anybody could come to that conclusion (or any conclusion) with such certainty.

They actually said they don't remember that party or any like it.

And her bestie said she never met Kavanaugh in any capacity. Now, I can believe her friend may not remember a particular party, but how can her friend not notice at the time or remember later the night her friend disappeared from the party.

I mean at least next day would be like 'what happened to you, you disappeared last night'. 30 yrs later would be like - 'oh yeah, I do remember a party where my best friend disappeared in the middle of the night, I didn't think much of it then, but it makes sense now.'

We could program a bot to perform your function here.

Same for yours
5702417_keep_calm_and_report_bot.png

Pathetic that you cut off the part of the post referring specifically to Kavanaugh. What, did you think I wouldn't notice, or something?

"Random guy"...LOL.

Jack V Savage is a "random guy" on Sherdog. Does that count? <Moves>

If you really are that fired up about 42,000 pages, all it really tells us is that you have never followed a Supreme Court nomination until now, and that number somehow impresses you. If you really think 3 weeks is needed to reviews 42,000 pages, at that pace, it would have taken Kagan almost 2 years to be confirmed. There is a massive documentation dump for all nominees. 42,000 is not as impressive as you seem to think it is, nor is it too much to look over on the eve of questioning that lasts for days ("ample" opportunity as you would say, to address anything they find in the documents).

fired up?... it's asinine to expect anybody to review that much in less than a day.

Gorsuch was nominated in Jan 31, 2017. Committee requested the Justice Department to send all docs on Gorsuch's work and they received it in March 9, 2017 (144K pages, eventually 220K). Gorsuch's hearing was on March 20. So they were given 11 days. This would have been ample time IMO.

You'd think I was asking for MONTHS... 2-3 weeks is logical but 11 days works too.

Is less than a day enough to review 42K worth of documents and then prepare a proper set of questions for an interview based on the docs? yes or no?.. if you say yes you've never been tasked to review docs...

They actually said they don't remember that party or any like it.

And her bestie said she never met Kavanaugh in any capacity. Now, I can believe her friend may not remember a particular party, but how can her friend not notice at the time or remember later the night her friend disappeared from the party.

I mean at least next day would be like 'what happened to you, you disappeared last night'. 30 yrs later would be like - 'oh yeah, I do remember a party where my best friend disappeared in the middle of the night, I didn't think much of it then, but it makes sense now.'
But its a party which means presumably there was drinking which can impair memory. Is it that hard to believe that people wouldn't remember the events from that party unless they had some specific reason to? For her friends it might've just been another party the memory of which can fade easily. But for Mrs. Ford, if she's telling the truth, the traumatic events of that party will stick with her for a long time.

Death threats are so overrated. I think any public figure who has ever said anything political has likely received a death threat by now. Its just so easy to send one but there's a massive gulf between the effort and commitment involved in sending one than there is in carrying one out which is why we hear about so many people getting death threats despite very, very, very few of them actually ever facing any such attempt.

If we're being honest the only group that has shown itself to be credible in its death threats on a consistent basis are the Islamists so realistically if you're not getting death threats from them you're probably okay.

By the end I was laughing pretty hard.

If there were only a few people there then it definitely makes that version of events more difficult to understand. But I've accompanied my friends to small get togethers lots of times where I can honestly say I did not know the other people, did not get to know the other people, and would not remember the other people.

The woman is saying she did not meet him. She’s not saying she doesn’t know if she met him

The accuser says she fled the party(get together) suddenly without informing anyone. Why would this not be remembered?

Please put a southern Republican woman in the place of Ford and put Obama in the place of Kavanaugh.

Could this have happened the way she’s stating. It’s possible. Does everything we know so far point to it being true....Hells no

That’s because you are willfully blind, stuck in attack mode.

No, it's really because I haven't seen it. I have seen a presumption that the accuser is lying, from you among others. And as far as I can tell, the sole basis for that is that Kavanaugh is in the good party.

Oh shit! Ambassador JvS of the Twilight Zone is here? This circus is about to turn into Bizarro World, where Up will be Down and Left is always Right! :eek:

I added that lost cause to my ignore list long ago, and I suggest everyone else to do the same, for you simply cannot get an honest discussion out of a partisan hack with such insane level of dishonesty and sheer hypocrisy.

Yes, you guys just want an echo chamber. No intelligent dissent from the GOP party line should be allowed. And "dishonest" to hacks here simply means "doesn't blindly accept the party narrative."

You're assuming that she is lying and that's why you don't think there is a high cost. If she is telling the truth the psychological damage alone is an enormous price, but either way the security risk is an enormous price and so is having powerful politicians align against you. And I think you're wrong about the other stuff as well. Why don't you think her peers will come to the same conclusion you did? If they do, that's extremely damaging.

Even if it turns out she's doing it for the money she's paying a heavy price.

First I've repeatedly said that I don't think she's doing it for money, but rather to stop the conservatives taking control of the court.

Second, her peers have built a culture that presumes men are guilty in these cases. A culture that has praised people like Bill Ayers and Tookie Williams. A culture where it's perfectly normal for an ethics professor to don a mask and hit someone with a bike lock because they have different political beliefs and one that must stifle that different view at all cost.

Please don't act like her peer group is anything like a typical work peer group.

Back