Law The Search For The 114th Supreme Court Justice: The Witch-Hunt Against Judge Brett Kavanaugh

Who do you believe?

• Total voters
Can't believe that they're actually negotiating this shit. Congrats GOP, the Dems now smell blood. How can they be so dumb to not recognize this for what it is. She's not gonna show up, you fucking idiots. Keep wasting time, and allowing the Dems to come up with more bullshit though. Really gotta go the extra mile to accommodate this high school allegation.

Grow some fucking balls, GOP, and give this woman an ultimatum already.

Yeah...this is un-fucking-believable what Grassley is doing.

STOP WITH THE BULLSHIT!!

KICK HER TO THE CURB AND DAMN WHAT THE DEMS SAY!!

THE CONSERVATIVE CONTROL THE HOUSE AND THE SENATE RIGHT NOW!

MAKE THE GODDAMN VOTE ALREADY!!!

That never happened. Please don't misrepresent me.

Except you assume that Mark Judge was in the room with her, despite Judge's denial.

It's not suspicious at all. I wouldn't testify either if I could avoid it.
Despite Judge's MEANINGLESS denial. It was meaningless, and not under oath. Pointless for it to be brought up. He could have said he has been living in the Small World ride at Disneyland for the past 30 years and there would be no consequence for the lie.

It's telling he came out immediately saying he did not want to talk about this publicly OR under oath. Under oath means you have to tell the truth, the letter means nothing.

Why don't you want Judge to be at the hearing? You seem to think he shouldn't be there at the hearing, despite being named specifically as someone who witnessed the event.

Despite Judge's MEANINGLESS denial. It was meaningless, and not under oath. Pointless for it to be brought up.

How is Mark Judge's denial more "meaningless" than Ford's accusation? Neither one is backed by evidence.

Why don't you want Judge to be at the hearing? You seem to think he shouldn't be there at the hearing, despite being named specifically as someone who witnessed the event.

I never said that. But since you asked:

I don't believe the government should be able to force a private citizen to testify on non-criminal charges about accusations which are completely unsubstantiated. Let her give her testimony, let Kavanaugh respond, and let's go from there.

215831_600.jpg

The Reckless Coverage of Kavanaugh Allegations Is Why Americans Don’t Trust the Media
By Jarrett Stepman and Ginny Montalbano | Sept 20, 2018

180920_KavMediaedit-1024x532.jpg

The media has had many notable misses in the coverage of the allegations against President Donald Trump's Supreme Court nominee, Brett Kavanaugh.

The last few weeks of coverage of the accusations against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh have been a perfect example of why the American people don’t trust the media.

The sheer breadth of wild and reckless reporting on the situation has been extraordinary, even by the media’s increasingly low standards.

There have been a staggering number of backtracks and incidences of simply false reporting.

NBC published a social media post by one of Ford’’s classmates, Christina King Miranda, saying: “This incident did happen. Many of us heard a buzz about it indirectly with few specific details. However Christine’s vivid recollection should be more than enough for us to truly, deeply know that the accusation is true.”

NBC’s post went viral, but very quickly thereafter, the classmate deleted her post and admitted to not knowing what took place between Kavanaugh and the accuser.

“In my [Facebook] post, I was empowered and I was sure it probably did [happen],” Miranda said, according to NPR. “I had no idea that I would now have to go to the specifics and defend it before 50 cable channels and have my face spread all over MSNBC news and Twitter.”

NBC later had to revise the story.

The New York Times made its own mess. On Monday, the Times reported that Mark Judge, the second man named in Christine Blasey Ford’s allegations against Kavanaugh, had confirmed to the Senate Judiciary Committee that he did recall the episode. But the potentially damning statement was completely incorrect.

Judge has repeatedly claimed, via his lawyer, that he has no recollection of such actions ever taking place.

“Brett Kavanaugh and I were friends in high school but I do not recall the party described in Dr. Ford’s letter. More to the point, I never saw Brett act in the manner Dr. Ford describes,” Judge said in a statement.

The New York Times was forced to backtrack: “An earlier version of this article misstated what Mark Judge told the Senate Judiciary Committee. He said that he does not remember the episode, not that he does.”

Adding to injury, three different outlets framed a joke that Kavanaugh made three years ago as being a subtle admittance to Ford’s allegations.

Speaking to a public forum at Columbus Law School, he said, “what happens at Georgetown Prep, stays at Georgetown Prep.” When watched in its entirety, it is abundantly clear that Kavanagh is completely joking. It was the dean of the school that reminded him of the phrase.

But that didn’t matter. MSNBC, CNN, and Politico presented the clip as somehow evidence that Kavanaugh is guilty or hiding something egregious. That’s three networks who chose to ignore a critical statement made by Kavanaugh to a laughing crowd—that the dean “reminded him to say that.” It was a blatant joke.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., then referenced the clip in a tweet that currently has nearly 50,000 “likes” on Twitter.

“I can’t imagine any parent accepting this view. Is this really what America wants in its next Supreme Court Justice?”

These are just a few examples of the bad reporting in the last week.

Also see: here, here, and here.

Conversely, prominent members of the media lashed out at those who wanted to find the truth about the claims of the accuser, despite the fact that her claims are incredibly vague.

It’s all been a ridiculous fiasco, but this should be a lesson to those who worry that President Donald Trump’s rhetoric about the media is undermining the free press.

It’s the press that’s undermining itself by being so one-sided, so quick to publish damaging stories about conservatives—while holding fire on progressives—and bypassing the due diligence required for accurate and honest reporting that Americans should expect.

The Founding Fathers understood that a free press was vital to preserving liberty and keeping the powerful in check. They also acknowledged that the press itself was a powerful tool and that it could be used to disseminate lies and falsehoods.

The Founders, thankfully, protected press freedom through the First Amendment, as lies by the media would only be made worse by allowing the government to control the flow of information in society.

But the Founders didn’t protect the media because they wanted to empower falsehoods. They did so in order to preserve truth.

Many Americans have judged that modern media have not exactly been truthful with them, and that perception is wrecking the press’ credibility.

Some in the media, such as NBC’s Chuck Todd, have blamed conservatives, Republicans, and Trump for the poor reputation of their industry, claiming that the climate of distrust regarding the press is merely the result of their ferocious critics. “The conservative echo chamber created that environment,” Todd said on “Meet the Press.”

Polls also show that trust in media is catastrophically bad, a trend that predates the Trump administration, but is worse now. They also show that amajority of American people believe that the media intentionally publishes fake news, and a plurality think they createfalse stories about the Trump administration.

With the way the Kavanaugh allegations have been treated, no wonder huge segments of Americans are angry and frustrated.

The legacy media’s failure to acknowledge that the fault is not in their stars but themselves means that trust in the fourth estate will continue to erode, and they will get blistered with criticism that sticks.

In America, we have a free press, but the American people have free minds to judge truth and distortion.

The media’s role in the Kavanaugh controversy further erodes any chance the press has to regain the people’s trust. If anything, it should make us grateful for an alternative media that continues to call them out.

https://www.dailysignal.com/2018/09...ns-is-why-americans-dont-trust-the-media/amp/

Last edited:
The Reckless Coverage of Kavanaugh Allegations Is Why Americans Don’t Trust the Media
By Jarrett Stepman and Ginny Montalbano | Sept 20, 2018​
180920_KavMediaedit-1024x532.jpg

The media has had many notable misses in the coverage of the allegations against President Donald Trump's Supreme Court nominee, Brett Kavanaugh.

The last few weeks of coverage of the accusations against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh have been a perfect example of why the American people don’t trust the media.

The sheer breadth of wild and reckless reporting on the situation has been extraordinary, even by the media’s increasingly low standards.

There have been a staggering number of backtracks and incidences of simply false reporting.

NBC published a social media post by one of Ford’’s classmates, Christina King Miranda, saying: “This incident did happen. Many of us heard a buzz about it indirectly with few specific details. However Christine’s vivid recollection should be more than enough for us to truly, deeply know that the accusation is true.”

NBC’s post went viral, but very quickly thereafter, the classmate deleted her post and admitted to not knowing what took place between Kavanaugh and the accuser.

“In my [Facebook] post, I was empowered and I was sure it probably did [happen],” Miranda said, according to NPR. “I had no idea that I would now have to go to the specifics and defend it before 50 cable channels and have my face spread all over MSNBC news and Twitter.”

NBC later had to revise the story.

The New York Times made its own mess. On Monday, the Times reported that Mark Judge, the second man named in Christine Blasey Ford’s allegations against Kavanaugh, had confirmed to the Senate Judiciary Committee that he did recall the episode. But the potentially damning statement was completely incorrect.

Judge has repeatedly claimed, via his lawyer, that he has no recollection of such actions ever taking place.

“Brett Kavanaugh and I were friends in high school but I do not recall the party described in Dr. Ford’s letter. More to the point, I never saw Brett act in the manner Dr. Ford describes,” Judge said in a statement.

The New York Times was forced to backtrack: “An earlier version of this article misstated what Mark Judge told the Senate Judiciary Committee. He said that he does not remember the episode, not that he does.”

Adding to injury, three different outlets framed a joke that Kavanaugh made three years ago as being a subtle admittance to Ford’s allegations.

Speaking to a public forum at Columbus Law School, he said, “what happens at Georgetown Prep, stays at Georgetown Prep.” When watched in its entirety, it is abundantly clear that Kavanagh is completely joking. It was the dean of the school that reminded him of the phrase.

But that didn’t matter. MSNBC, CNN, and Politico presented the clip as somehow evidence that Kavanaugh is guilty or hiding something egregious. That’s three networks who chose to ignore a critical statement made by Kavanaugh to a laughing crowd—that the dean “reminded him to say that.” It was a blatant joke.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., then referenced the clip in a tweet that currently has nearly 50,000 “likes” on Twitter.

“I can’t imagine any parent accepting this view. Is this really what America wants in its next Supreme Court Justice?”

These are just a few examples of the bad reporting in the last week.

Also see: here, here, and here.

Conversely, prominent members of the media lashed out at those who wanted to find the truth about the claims of the accuser, despite the fact that her claims are incredibly vague.

It’s all been a ridiculous fiasco, but this should be a lesson to those who worry that President Donald Trump’s rhetoric about the media is undermining the free press.

It’s the press that’s undermining itself by being so one-sided, so quick to publish damaging stories about conservatives—while holding fire on progressives—and bypassing the due diligence required for accurate and honest reporting that Americans should expect.

The Founding Fathers understood that a free press was vital to preserving liberty and keeping the powerful in check. They also acknowledged that the press itself was a powerful tool and that it could be used to disseminate lies and falsehoods.

The Founders, thankfully, protected press freedom through the First Amendment, as lies by the media would only be made worse by allowing the government to control the flow of information in society.

But the Founders didn’t protect the media because they wanted to empower falsehoods. They did so in order to preserve truth.

Many Americans have judged that modern media have not exactly been truthful with them, and that perception is wrecking the press’ credibility.

Some in the media, such as NBC’s Chuck Todd, have blamed conservatives, Republicans, and Trump for the poor reputation of their industry, claiming that the climate of distrust regarding the press is merely the result of their ferocious critics. “The conservative echo chamber created that environment,” Todd said on “Meet the Press.”

Polls also show that trust in media is catastrophically bad, a trend that predates the Trump administration, but is worse now. They also show that amajority of American people believe that the media intentionally publishes fake news, and a plurality think they createfalse stories about the Trump administration.

With the way the Kavanaugh allegations have been treated, no wonder huge segments of Americans are angry and frustrated.

The legacy media’s failure to acknowledge that the fault is not in their stars but themselves means that trust in the fourth estate will continue to erode, and they will get blistered with criticism that sticks.

In America, we have a free press, but the American people have free minds to judge truth and distortion.

The media’s role in the Kavanaugh controversy further erodes any chance the press has to regain the people’s trust. If anything, it should make us grateful for an alternative media that continues to call them out.

https://www.dailysignal.com/2018/09...ns-is-why-americans-dont-trust-the-media/amp/

It makes me wish I could DVR the next month or so....so I can FAST-FORWARD to the result of all this.

Last edited:
President boasts about grabbing women by the pussy. Then nominates a rapist for scotus. Cant write this shit.
All it takes for you to call someone a rapist is an unproven allegation eh? How's child molesting going for you?

See that I did there? It's the same logic. I don't like Kavanaugh for his decisions on political donations, abortions and executive powers, but he's one of the highest rated judges in the circuit courts. Labeling someone a rapist without a shred of evidence makes you complicit part of this toxic political climate.

Not sure why the theory of the other classmate isn't getting more attention.

Floor plan in suspected house. Same as described by Ford.

Kid that lived there went to same school and looks like Kavaanaugh.

Kid that lived there (now an adult) is still friends with Judge on FB.

Not sure why the theory of the other classmate isn't getting more attention.

Floor plan in suspected house. Same as described by Ford.

Kid that lived there went to same school and looks like Kavaanaugh.

Kid that lived there (now an adult) is still friends with Judge on FB.

Unless the guy who floated that theory has some specific knowledge, I’m not remotely comfortable throwing the other classmate under the bus. No need to double down on this kangaroo court.

His denial has as much credibility as her accusation.

It actually has more credibility, because she has the burden of proving her allegation. An absence of evidence is resolved in his favor. Also, other witnesses corroborate his account, while nothing she has said is corroborated. I feel comfortable at this point calling Christine Blasey Ford a liar.

Despite Judge's MEANINGLESS denial. It was meaningless, and not under oath. Pointless for it to be brought up. He could have said he has been living in the Small World ride at Disneyland for the past 30 years and there would be no consequence for the lie.

It's telling he came out immediately saying he did not want to talk about this publicly OR under oath. Under oath means you have to tell the truth, the letter means nothing.

Because he already said he wasn’t at a party where this happened. What else could he say? He doesn’t know the date place time or any other details to testify to. She should testify first so he has something to rebut.

How is Mark Judge's denial more "meaningless" than Ford's accusation? Neither one is backed by evidence.

I never said that. But since you asked:

I don't believe the government should be able to force a private citizen to testify on non-criminal charges about accusations which are completely unsubstantiated. Let her give her testimony, let Kavanaugh respond, and let's go from there.
It's obviously more meaningless because she is willing to go under oath and he is not.

Because he already said he wasn’t at a party where this happened. What else could he say? He doesn’t know the date place time or any other details to testify to. She should testify first so he has something to rebut.
means literally nothing. He could have said he was on Mars, would have meant as much. He doesn't want to testify and he has his reasons, but it's not up to him.

Just checking in to see if no more info had come out but everyone is still arguing the same points

not sure if it's been posted but .. ol brett sure has A LOT of women speaking very highly of him .. this is powerful .. their presence there and testimonies

Everything went out the window with Merrick Garland, and to a lesser extent the seeds were planted well before with Bork. This shit isn't new nor is it likely to go away.

Sounds like the testimony will happen next week and we'll go from there. There will be no investigation by the FBI prior, glad she dropped that. The two main sticking points it seems will be whether Mark Judge will be compelled to come (it's a sham if they don't bring in UNDER OATH the other person in the room) and whether an attorney instead of old men will question her (cowardly move on the Republican side but understandable given the optics)...

And...a lot can happen in the next week or so until the testimony. Wouldn't be surprised if this whole thing was in a completely different place on Monday.

lol @ "lesser extent". So, Garland was purely procedural. They had the power to hold no vote and used it. End of story.

Justices Bork, Thomas and now Kavanaugh are "to a lesser extent"?

<[analyzed}>

lol @ "lesser extent". So, Garland was purely procedural. They had the power to hold no vote and used it. End of story.

Justices Bork, Thomas and now Kavanaugh are "to a lesser extent"?

<[analyzed}>
If we're being honest, and you're not, but if we are...McConnell told Obama "You're not really the president, you don't have the normal rights presidents do".

End of story.

The real point is that the Garland thing was a tipping point. If the Dems win back the Senate and Kavanaugh doesn't get through, they will hold the seat open until Trump is gone. And unfortunately, they will get away with it.

The fact that this is even being ARGUED is absolute lunacy.

She's the Accuser.

Kavanaugh is the Accused.

Accuser ALWAYS goes first with the accusations so the accused can defend him or herself!!

Back