The sad thing is... Lyoto failed hard at trying to become a MW fighter :(

Yup, it's not unusual for fighters who rely on a speed advantage to suddenly not look so great when they go down in weight since that advantage is no longer as pronounced against lighter, faster fighters.

If only it had been Shogun who dropped to MW post Jones.

Hes 3 - 4 in the division... being finished brutaly in his last 3.

Got great wins vs. Munoz and Mousasi, but since losing to Weidman, he only beat the not so hot CB Dollaway.

I think Lyotos performance was much better as a LHW.

He should reconsider coming back to LHW division i think... even his father agrees.

MMA is a young man's game. Sports is in general. He will be back in all likelihood but, he should retire and return as a trainer or something outside actual fighting. Recreational tennis or water polo following rehab after the KO loss. Tons of other sports he can do for fun and be part of mma without actually having scrambled egg brains.

It's his age, it has nothing to do with MW/LHW. He just isn't in his Prime anymore or at least his Chin isn't.

I miss the 29 yr old machida. The first time i saw his first 3 fights in the ufc he looked like no one could beat him. He made ufc fighters looked like bums. Damn time passes hes old now.i only have two favoright fighters him as the number one and cain as second.it breaks my heart seeing him get destroyed now.

Im a huge fan of machida and shogun. Watching them get beaten by guys that they would of murked before is sad to watch. I still want see machida fight again.

So far it seems he is gettin clipped while throwing the left cross counter. Maybe he needs avoid using that and trying to be more elusive. Stay more on the outside throwing kicks and in close those knees. Use his trips n sumo wrestling to keep guys off him.

Fight on Machida!!

This . If you've followed his career his downfall began after the rashad fight when he started chasing guys .
Hmm, I thought the shogun fight was the downfall, he got the brutal ko and everyone loved him.

He got that decision against shogun and he changed as a fighter, who knows how it would of went if shogun got the nod?

lol at all the machida nut huggers defending him using a banned substance. ... such delusion. hes a cheater and has been exposed.

Anyone getting hit with Brunson's sloppy pathetic windmill should be banned from fighting.
Whittaker showed how easy it is to just matador him and land. I figured even old, post-USADA Machida would be able to work his counter game and win with ease, but somehow got caught with the sloppiest shit. I don't get how any elite fighter has an issue with him.

Saw this and thought it was pretty sad. Looking old and finished. I hate seeing older guys lose to the up and comers but that's the cycle of sports.

usa_today_10377036.0.jpg

Have you ever heard of a UFC fighter failing a test because their testosterone was too high ? If so, list them and link to where that was labeled as the reason they failed.
Overeem did before UFC 146, IIRC.

He's become chinny. And he's always had a style that's been based around parrying and movement, not blocking. Now that he is slower, he's a lot more easily hit.

It's not like he isn't a slick and technical fighter. He's losing his physicality, which seems to be the bigger problem.

I think its an age thing. A lot of fighters try to drop to another weight class a little later in their careers and it pretty rarely works out. Pettis tried, Rashad tried, Florian tried, BJ tried. I think the only guy its ever worked out for is Frankie Edgar. I guess you could argue Faber too.

Whittaker showed how easy it is to just matador him and land. I figured even old, post-USADA Machida would be able to work his counter game and win with ease, but somehow got caught with the sloppiest shit. I don't get how any elite fighter has an issue with him.
He just doesn't have the speed to make his style work at the high level anymore...all his accomplishments in MMA were reaction, speed and timing....any of those go and you get what has happened to him in his last few fights.

It is depressing to watch as Lyoto was one of the good guys in MMA a good ambassador for the sport...but time gets us all one day or another.

But back when he first entered the UFC...that is why it was amazing to watch him...no one could to shit...east not until Shogun :)

Can't believe how disrespectful some of these comments are. Fighters get old, happens to almost everyone if they keep fighting forever. Machida's style relies on speed & reflexes, thats the first you lose as you get older, not power. Don't even bring up Couture, he's the exception, he's not the norm. Machida had a great career, no shame

Back