The Ring Rank Tyson Fury Above Wilder. Anthony Joshua Still #1

GoldenAzazel

GM of PWD. 2020, 2022 PWD Poster of the Year
Platinum Member
Reaction score
According to Michael Benson (journalist for TalkSport) the decision to put Tyson Fury above Deontay Wilder came after every single member of their panel agreed that Tyson Fury should have been given the win against Wilder. Anthony Joshua still holds the number 1 spot, with no champion yet.

So here are the new heavyweight rankings for The Ring Magazine:

1. Anthony Joshua
2 . Tyson Fury
3. Deontay Wilder
4. Luis Ortiz
5. Dillian Whyte
6. Alexander Povetkin
7. Joseph Parker
8. Jarrell Miller
9. Adam Kownacki
10. Kubrat Pulev

What do you guys think of those rankings? I'm not sure if Miller should be ranked that high, but seems about right to me.

http://www.sportbible.com/boxing/ne...anks-tyson-fury-above-deontay-wilder-20181207

I agree with the first three. Joshua is undoubtely no.1 and Fury's resume is better than Wilder's. Fury has a klitchko win and a wilder draw. Wilder has an ortiz win and a fury draw. Dethroning klitschko is a bigger achievement than beating up ortiz.

And I don't agree about ortiz being #4. I would if they agree to rank Jennings at least at #6 or #7.

I agree with the first three. Joshua is undoubtely no.1 and Fury's resume is better than Wilder's. Fury has a klitchko win and a wilder draw. Wilder has an ortiz win and a fury draw. Dethroning klitschko is a bigger achievement than beating up ortiz.

And I don't agree about ortiz being #4. I would if they agree to rank Jennings at least at #6 or #7.
Anthony Joshua undoubtedly has the best resume on that list, then him having most of the belts definitely justifies him at #1.

Yeah, I wasn't too impressed with Ortiz in his last outing and he doesn't have the most amazing resume, so I can totally see why people wouldn't agree with him at #4. Would you put Whyte and Povetkin above him then?

Ortiz above whyte is jokes. Not sure if I can agree with that. What you think technically happemed to what actually happened isnr fair. But I do agree he won.

Deontay should be by all accounts number 2

Deontay should be by all accounts number 2
Why do you say that? I think @Badr Hari made a good argument in saying that Fury has a better resume than Wilder. Anyway, the way this got decided was The Ring magazine has a panel and every single person on that panel thought Fury won, so they gave him the spot above Wilder.

Not getting chinned within 3 rounds by Tom Little should be enough for him to enter the top 5.
"Do not be surprised if Price gets to fight for a world title in the next year." - Johnny Nelson. September 2018.

Why do you say that? I think @Badr Hari made a good argument in saying that Fury has a better resume than Wilder. Anyway, the way this got decided was The Ring magazine has a panel and every single person on that panel thought Fury won, so they gave him the spot above Wilder.

I don't agree with how The Ring decided to put Fury at #2. That methodology creates a bad precedent. We should respect the official decision as much as we don't like it.

My point is I don't think Fury needed the official W against Wilder to legitimize his spot. The draw is enough IMO as it comes down to weighing their next respective biggest win.

Someone might argue Wilder deserves #2 because of the WBC belt. But that would mean Martin and Parker at one point were #3 and Charr was until recently #3. I wouldn't value ABC belts too much; rankings I think should be 100% based on fight records.

I guess we'll settle this question in the rematch.

I don't agree with how The Ring decided to put Fury at #2. That methodology creates a bad precedent. We should respect the official decision as much as we don't like it.

My point is I don't think Fury needed the official W against Wilder to legitimize his spot. The draw is enough IMO as it comes down to weighing their next respective biggest win.

Someone might argue Wilder deserves #2 because of the WBC belt. But that would mean Martin and Parker at one point were #3 and Charr was until recently #3. I wouldn't value ABC belts too much; rankings I think should be 100% based on fight records.

Hmm I guess I see your point. When something is that close and hard to decide, I guess personal opinion on that fight has to come into it though. I guess Fury also has that Lineal belt too which helps his case for #2.

When it comes to more recent activity it should be wilder. It's not fair to throw Tyson straight in there. That's the whole reason the story is so good. Because a lot of people were writing him off.

When it comes to more recent activity it should be wilder. It's not fair to throw Tyson straight in there. That's the whole reason the story is so good. Because a lot of people were writing him off.

On recent activity... absolutely yes. I was talking about an overall evaluation of fight records with emphasis on the most important fights.

how is whyte not above ortiz?

Whyte is legitimate #4 by any criteria you want. (recent activity, overall resume, ABC rankings). Whyte could beat any of the top 3 guys on a good night IMO. The dark horse of the division.

Back