Social The return of overt Racism in English Football

The bloke involved is claiming it wasn't racially motivated and that the banana skin was just the closest thing at hand to throw , he also made a lot of being a Greek Cypriot like not being English precluded the possibility of being racist .

Yeah I don't know how he thinks just because he is a Southern Euro, he couldn't be racist. That seems to be a sentiment shared by a lot of places in the Old World, that if you aren't Northern European (blonde / blue eyed), you can't be racist, as if only Northern Europeans have engaged in imperialism and racism.

I'm no lip reader, but the dude has come out and said he called Sterling a 'Manc Cunt' rather than a 'Black Cunt', which would make everything alright. Manc Cunt is pretty common footballing language but I can't really tell from the footage

Lots a people saying Sterling gets badly treated by the tabloids because he's black too. Sterling does get dogs abuse from the media and it's shameful but not sure it's because he's black. They're all over the nuts of people like AJ, Hamilton and Kante for example and there are countless black footballers in the Premiership who don't get the attention Sterling does. I'd guess it's because he left Liverpool (Media darlings) for moneybags Man City
The Liverpool move definitely has something to do with it. When a player makes a controversial move in England, there’s always going to be people harboring hostility. I’m sure Brits also get pissed at the fact that he looks like a world beater under Pep and doesn’t perform to that level for England.

Last edited:
At a live event, yes.

Do you not believe me?
I’m not sure why this would be surprising. I’ve been to live events for nearly every American professional sport and haven’t heard any racist comments.

If a white guy started throwing banana peels at NBA players or started using racial slurs directed at the NFL players, we’d likely see a repeat of the Ron Artest incident with the fans jumping in.

does this mean i can't sing 'dirty mackems' anymore?

I’m not sure why this would be surprising. I’ve been to live events for nearly every American professional sport and haven’t heard any racist comments.

If a white guy started throwing banana peels at NBA players or started using racial slurs directed at the NFL players, we’d likely see a repeat of the Ron Artest incident with the fans jumping in.

It’s all well and good jumping in and giving some racist cunt a twatting but I’d rather just let the police sort them out.

I don’t want to be arrested for assault and I especially wouldn’t want to be permanently banned from my club for life.

Yeah I don't know how he thinks just because he is a Southern Euro, he couldn't be racist. That seems to be a sentiment shared by a lot of places in the Old World, that if you aren't Northern European (blonde / blue eyed), you can't be racist, as if only Northern Europeans have engaged in imperialism and racism.
In the current definition of racism, where only white people can be racist it makes some sense and the Greeks have no history of imperialism, they were colonized by the Turks, in fact. Although, of course, neither do the Swedish.
Anyway, that self blaming culture isn't very prevalent in southern europe. I think most Spaniards, for example, are proud that they ruled Latin America and expelled the moors.
Shame about colonialism and slavery seems to be a very anglo perspective.

Big money ruined football. When your hometown club is represented by 20 foreign players, people lose the connection with it. I believe these racist acts are more of a way for some people to express their displeasure than actual racism. If Red Star Belgrade would put10 foreign players on the pitch, I'd never watch another game in my life, I wouldn't care if they won the Champions League.

are you honestly this naive?

Big money ruined football. When your hometown club is represented by 20 foreign players, people lose the connection with it. I believe these racist acts are more of a way for some people to express their displeasure than actual racism. If Red Star Belgrade would put10 foreign players on the pitch, I'd never watch another game in my life, I wouldn't care if they won the Champions League.

These are Chelsea fans who cheer their own foreigners but are racist towards a black guy that plays for England. Nothing to do with the bold part.

Don't know much about this Sterling incident other than hearing about the whole world jumping on this guy for being racist prior to actually hearing or knowing anything about the story - just by going off a mute clip. Abuse happens in Football. It's pathetic and it's cringeworthy. I've been to different countries and different continents just to watch the sport, top tier all the way to the bottom tier. I, personally have never heard or seen racism happen, so to say "there is a huge problem" isn't accurate imo. If one idiot inside a 60 thousand seater stadium, once in a blue moon, throws a banana at a player, he's the problem. Not the Sport.

This is just the media and society continuing their game of dumbing things down as per. Soon, swearing and any form of "MANC CUNT" / types of abuse at opposing players will be outlawed. This is obviously been done by striking the fear of potentially being labeled as a racist.

FYI I was there and clapped both sides off after seeing my team lose in the 94th minute on Sunday. I believe there's something wrong with people mentally that abuse any other human beings for sporting reasons. But at the same time, this is football culture and I'm not about to start calling for people that do this to lose their jobs and have their life ruined.

(It's already dying) But football will die completely once stadiums are filled with people sat on their hands, refusing (too scared) to say anything and watching players earning close to a million pounds a month knock a ball around a pitch.

Yeah, I've been going to games for about 30 years. My first game was a Millwall game when I was 8 and I basically heard 90 minutes of racist abuse. It's better now, from what I hear, but still pretty bad.

Elsewhere around England it's kept out of the stands, but some clubs (Chelsea, Millwall, Leeds etc...) still have a very racist firm that will be overtly racist in the pubs before games. These firms are a shell of what they used to be though. I've known a few from different ones over the years and they mostly try and meet rivals, but rarely ever do. Mostly because they're now grown men with families to feed and can't risk getting locked up for a punch-up over their team.

How do we know the banana throwing incidents are motivated by racism? Maybe the fans are concerned about the athletes potassium level.

How do we know the banana throwing incidents are motivated by racism? Maybe the fans are concerned about the athletes potassium level.

<mma4>

Particularly black players. If anything they should be called racist for not giving them to white players too... They're the real victims in all of this.

are you honestly this naive?

These are Chelsea fans who cheer their own foreigners but are racist towards a black guy that plays for England. Nothing to do with the bold part.

You guys are probably right. I've written my post as someone who comes from a 100% white country, it's a much different perspective. I can't even imagine a black guy playing for Serbian international squad, and realize that things are different in England. What those fans have done is ridiculous.

You guys are probably right. I've written my post as someone who comes from a 100% white country, it's a much different perspective. I can't even imagine a black guy playing for Serbian international squad, and realize that things are different in England. What those fans have done is ridiculous.

TBF, it's a very complicated situation. Back in the 70's and 80's white fans would often be racist to rival black players and then 5 minutes later cheer their own black players. Their whole reason/excuse was "yeah, but he's one of ours".

Lol you’re so way off here son

Lol you’re so way off here son

Yeah, I realized that reading the rest of the thread. I don't get those people. You spend money coming to a game to insult a guy based on his race, yet your team is full of blacks, too. As I've mentioned previously, I perceive the situation as someone who's from entirely white nation, that's why I thought it could be something other than racism.

Back