The reason why Ben Askren and Fedor will and never will fight in the UFC...

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Jarvan, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Fahcough

Fahcough Brown Belt

nah, might watch best display of accelerated paint drying instead

2. trident

trident Water Belt

I bet you are a lot of fun at parties

It just happened to be the first gif that popped up on teh google

You still haven't responded with a suitable replacement, which is odd, given that your jimmies are so rustled.

[​IMG]

3. WinZip

WinZip Trial Version Expired

I'd love to see Askren get wrecked by any too 5 WW but he's clewcle ducking the UFC. He keeps talking about wanting to prove he's the GOAT but then turns around and talks shit about the one promotion that could give him that kind of fight. He's making damn sure he never fights a top fighter and remains irrelevant in GOAT discussions.

4. Dirge

Dirge Black Belt

The Sherdog "Jay Hieron post"... Every discussion about Ben Askren, someone brings it up without knowing the backstory.

Askren goes into detail about that fight in Rogan's podcast a few weeks ago.

In a nutshell, Askren had joined Duke Roufus's team a few months before the Hieron fight. While there leading up to the fight with Hieron he did zero grappling/wrestling and only focused on his striking because he knew it needed a lot of work.

In his own words, wrestling is like any other skill, you need to practice constantly (as in daily) to stay in top form. He figured because he had the wrestling angle mastered he wouldn't need to stay tuned up. And he paid for it. He wasn't making excuses, he simply stated that Hieron was prepared and he wasn't. Taught him a valuable lesson to never let his wrestling slide at the expense of picking up other skills. He fought far better fighters after that (Like Koreschov and Lima) and never came close to losing a round again in the rest of his career.

It was kind of funny, it was one of the first things Rogan asked him about and you could tell Askren was pissed at himself to this day about it. Should have been an easy win for him.

Buster C likes this.
  5. eiyuu

eiyuu Red Belt

Then he got submitted by a UFC castoff, pouned by a guy who got blasted in the first round by Cain Velasquez twice (while that guy was on TRT, so you can't use that excuse) and a MW who lost to Jake Shields.

And then PRIDE refused to send any fighters to the UFC like they said they would on a UFC PPV no less because they're NOT the "premier" fight promotion. They were just a bunch of backstabbers.

And more than likely they were afraid their fighters would lose in the UFC.

Make excuses all you want, but after PRIDE folded, he DIDN'T fight in the "premier" organization in the world.

And if PRIDE was so "premier" they should have been able survive after they were kicked off of TV like the UFC when they were kicked off of cable way back when.

Not so premier if you ask me.

So getting back to my original point, if so many other fighters could work with Dana White, Fedor and Askren should have been able to. Stop making excuses for "the GOAT."

And no, I'm not a Fedor hater. I've enjoyed his fights for years and went to go see him when he was cornering fighters at the Euphoria MFC event in Atlantic City way back in 2005.

I just hate with the fire of a million red giant stars people like you who make excuses for him, and think he can do no wrong.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  6. TUFNewb

TUFNewb Brown Belt

Ah the classic "not making excuses, but here is a list of excuses" post. How original.

I know the backstory, not as well as you though... You should ghost write Askren's Big Book for him.

If he was as godly a mma talent as you guys make him out to be, he would have handled a journeyman at the very end of his career with ease. Yes, even two years into his pro career.

Lol keep clinging to those Koreshkov and Lima wins like Ben is the only guy in mma history to ever get to two top 20 victories though.

7. Dirge

Dirge Black Belt

Making excuses? Askren admitted flat out that he took Hieron too lightly and didn't train the way he should have for the fight. Admitting you screwed up isn't the same as making excuses mate...

? First off Lima is a top 10 fighter easily, not top 20. Keep dreaming.

Second, when he fought Hieron in 2011, Hieron was on a 10 fight win streak.... Yes he dropped off after that but he was 34 at the time and already had 26 pro fights by the time he fought Askren. 22-4 record.

And for the record, Hieron had some very high profile wins over prime fighters with top wrestling backgrounds prior to that fight.

Jessie Taylor and Jake Ellenberger (both UFC fighters btw) were both high level wrestlers and Hieron beat both convincingly.

Buster C likes this.
  8. Franc Mittelo

Franc Mittelo Banned Banned

I did the tedious job of looking at every Fedor opponent (in his infamous 10 year undefeated streak, LOL) some had solid records, but a lot of them were very suspect characters. LOL

I will base my opinion on the facts, not nostalgia. The guy was a pioneer. I give him that.

9. Buster C

Buster C Synchronous Timing Belt

People overestimate Dana’s importance in the UFC. He could never have kept Fedor or Askren out. Though he has some influence, he has always been mostly a spokesman or henchman for the owners.

M-1 and the UFC couldn’t make a deal, despite both sides being interested in Fedor fighting there.

With Askren, the UFC wasn’t interested in having another top-level fighter grind down the division like Fitch or Shields. Look at how quickly they dumped those guys after a couple losses. Ben trashing Dana had little to do with the outcome. Tito and others have fought in the UFC after worse feuds with Dana.

eiyuu likes this.
  10. TUFNewb

TUFNewb Brown Belt

"I took him too lightly" is literally an excuse bro.

Lima was NOT top 10 when Askren beat him in 2012. He was not even top 15. Neither was Koreshkov, not even close. Just stop it, this gas lighting won't work on people who actually closely followed the sport then.

I suppose we shouldn't count Jake's poor performance against Jay because he was only a year into his pro career right? Maybe he didn't know he needed to train wrestling even though he was fighting a solid collegiate wrestler? :rolleyes:

Ben and his fans seem so desperate to convince us that he is the best without actually him having beat the best lol. Let him prove it with his fighting, and not just these hypothetical scenarios that will most likely never happen. And no, he is not going to go from crushing no name cans in Asia to fighting GSP, that's one of the most ridiculously self entitled things I think I've ever heard in MMA. Delusional actually. He needs to beat a real top 10 for once in his career and then we can begin to entertain the idea.

11. kflo

kflo Gold Belt

I can point to sold out mma events with millions watching on tv and following online. Combat sambo Russian and world championships are performed in front of no one with no coverage.

Again what proof do you have that combat sambo is this huge Russian national treasure that needed fedor.

12. suffersystem

suffersystem Brown Belt

To be fair I dislike Askren, but Lima was actually ranked 13 when they fought. His only top 15 win, but a top 15 win nonetheless.

13. eiyuu

eiyuu Red Belt

Can't be all that huge if this Championship match in 2012 with Fedor involved has so many empty seats . . .

Attached Files:

14. TUFNewb

TUFNewb Brown Belt

Was he really? The 2012 Sherdog official rankings right before his fight with Askren do not have him in top 15. I'm sure he was close, and to be clear I do think Lima is an excellent fighter, and a great win for Ben, but his fans cling to it for dear life while he crushes wiki-less guys in the bush leagues.

15. kflo

kflo Gold Belt

Exactly - I posted similar pic earlier in this thread.

16. SiEdmondson

SiEdmondson Yellow Belt

Khabib wears Ben Askren pjamas

anyone who cant see his skills is a fool in my personal opinion, he qualified for the Olympics in a variation of his sport that he had never done before

like a shot putter qualifying for the hammer throw because you know they are both chucking heavy things distances

dana just didn't want ben coming in and smothering his cash cows

17. suffersystem

suffersystem Brown Belt

I did a search not long ago for the month and year they fought, not sure the site however off hand

EDIT: Here he was ranked 13th

http://www.fightmatrix.com/historic...ated-historical-rankings/?Issue=90&Division=4

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  18. opie

opie Black Belt

it’s ok that you werent around during his hayday. bummer tho, it was pretty fun to see.

and yeah, he fell apart at the end, but nobody stays on top forever. he just got old.

if i had to guess, the reason why no pride fighters went to ufc was because they were all blatantly on super roids.

and the reason why he couldnt work with dana is obvious: dana wouldnt co-promote with m1 global. fedor was bigger than the ufc. just like conor is bigger than the ufc now.

{<jimmies}

19. tru3f4n

tru3f4n Black Belt

mostly this but in Ben's defense they let guys like Ryan Hall fight in the UFC and with Fedor you had Vadim using Fedor to try and get shit he wanted with M-1.

20. Gambit MMA

Gambit MMA Black Belt

u should watch the koreshkov fight. ben had him twisted up like a pretzel at times.