The reason why Ben Askren and Fedor will and never will fight in the UFC...

ben-askren-one-fc-16.gif
Seeing this makes me smile to think of the people that say GSP wouldn’t be able to take him down, or that Askren would out wrestle him.
Watch this double leg, and imagine GSP exploding through thatminus the HUGE telegraphing, and add about 75% more power

Everyone knew that the face of Sambo, and the Icon of Russian Sambo had to fight in Sambo. There was no way anyone could sign a deal with Fedor if he wasn't allowed to compete in Sambo. Russia would never let it pass. The guys that really wanted him needed to allow this. Strikeforce had the best HWs at the moment, and wanted Fedor more than the UFC, so they accepted his demand. If the UFC really wanted him, they could have made the same deal.
his last world championship in sambo was 10 years ago. it really wasn't a big thing, and combat sambo has only even HAD a world championship for 17 years.

here's how fuckin huge it is:

hqdefault.jpg

I wouldn't call myself a "hater" because I always use facts to make my point about Fedor. I consider him a pioneer of the sport.

I am looking at his entire record as we speak, on Wikipedia. I started from the last time he lost, and looking at this "10 year undefeated" streak his fanboys love to gloat about. The majority of his fights are suspect. Yes, he could only beat who was in front him. But, this doesn't mean the people that were in front of him didn't have terrible records.

If you hate facts, I can't help you. You want to take a portion of his career and make him GOAT based on that, but I don't think the history of sports commentary will allow you to do that.

Fedor's record will only look weaker and weaker with time. He is a pioneer. GOATs can only be fighters that were/are dominant post-2009/2010.
yes, because the name Franc Mittelo is synonymous with facts

Seeing this makes me smile to think of the people that say GSP wouldn’t be able to take him down, or that Askren would out wrestle him.
Watch this double leg, and imagine GSP exploding through thatminus the HUGE telegraphing, and add about 75% more power
Exactly - GSP would take him for a ride.

Look, Im a wrestler and support wrestlers in MMA. But it is that position that allows to me understand just how special of a talent GSP is in grappling.

The guy never competed, didnt grow up in a junior or high school program and he legit has the best double and sprawl in the business.

It really does boggle my mind.

g3.gif

gsp_koscheck_takedown_defense_medium_medium.gif

I pick these because Koscheck was a D1 wrestler with one of the slickest doubles in the game

He did manage a brief takedown against GSP, but it was insignificant.

I think he would bludgeon Askren and it would get uncomfortable to watch.

If I were in charge, Askren would be in the UFC. That being said, is Askren even fighting in the 3rd biggest MMA org? Undefeated streak is not that impressive in context.

I can’t stand Dana, but who’s Askrens best win again?

And Fedor has been washed up for the better part of the decade, you want a guy who gets lit up by Maldonado and Mitrione to get killed in the ufc?

<{vega}>

The reason I brought up pettis vs aldo and Silva vs gsp is because neither of those fights are viable at the moment... Which in turn should've signified to you that I was talking about what would have been if it were to have happened... It's like explaining a joke for a moron and ruining the entire sequence.

I agree that Askren not being in the UFC is totally a Dana White issue.

Fedor on the other hand never fought in the UFC because of Fedor and his management. Dana White wanted Fedor in the UFC badly. He stated publicly multiple times that the money they offered Fedor was more than any other fighter offer they had ever made.

Fedor and his camp wanted co-promotion with M1... Not happening. They also wanted Fedor to be allowed to compete in Sambo competitions any time he wanted. Again, not happening.

I would have liked to have seen Fedor in the UFC as much as anyone else but you simply cannot blame the UFC for it, they wanted him just as much as the fans did.

Did I say different?

Lima... did you catch the fight where he came damn close to beating Rory recently?

Nope, he wears tapout, thinks ufc is the only premier league, talks shit about Dana, but secretly loves him.

Sure they knew it but what is your point? The UFC has never let another fighter fight in another combat sport (except the co-promoting with Chuck in Pride and look how that turned out...).

Fedor knew this coming into the negotiations with the UFC. It was a point they would never budge on. It had nothing to do with Russia or Sambo or Fedor. It was about protecting their brand and making sure that events didn't get fucked up by something outside of their control.

Fedor and management knew this was a deal breaker and yet they still negotiated with the UFC for months.

And on Fedor's return he went to Bellator rather than the UFC. Probably because they pay top dollar for has beens and the UFC doesn't.

Let's compare the success and brand between the UFC, M1 and Bellator? I'd say Fedor needed the UFC a lot more than the UFC needed Fedor.

Well said.

As much as I would've loved to have seen Fedor in the octagon... UFC integrity might've taken a bit if they showed that much leniency towards one specific, albeit special, fighter.

The ufc made the right 'business' move, per say, and I can't say I completely fault them for it.

It really makes sense for Askren to come back to Bellator to unify the Bellator WW belt.

is an over exaggeration.

I have an inkling. One additional judge could think his opponent won the fight.

Which fight?
I don't mind being wrong. Was Ben ever close to being finished in his 18 pro fights? Or did he have a close fight?

Fedor is old and the mystique is gone.

I think Ben still has a chance

Agree, Fedor ducked that weak UFC competition.

Strikeforce used to have the real killers at the time.

They had the most stacked hw division... Once upon a time.

Unfortunately, I was there, 75 feet away, to witness Fedor get smothered by big foot.

Did I say different?

?

The title of your thread which continued into the post was

"The reason why ben askren and fedor will never fight in the UFC is... Dana White"

Like I said, I agree on Askren but you said Dana was the issue with Fedor when it simply wasn't.

Not the biggest Dana fan here, but Fedor and his team made it almost impossible to strike a deal with the UFC and Askren was straight up being publicly insulting to Dana. I don't know how he thought he was going to get a job like that, but I've never seen that work.

Fedors team made it so impossible that they signed with Strikeforce.

It wasn't impossible, Fedor just had leverage against the UFC who wanted to sign him for cheap to make maximum profit.

"The reason why Ben Askren and Fedor will and never will fight in the UFC..."

<mma3>{<huh}<Huh2><{clintugh}>

The UFC has never let another fighter fight in another combat sport (except the co-promoting with Chuck in Pride and look how that turned out...).
003_Floyd_Mayweather_vs_Conor_McGregor.0.jpg

And plenty of guys have competed in grappling competitions while under UFC contracts.

Lima... did you catch the fight where he came damn close to beating Rory recently?
Fair enough he’s a good fighter, which means he’s only getting snubbed cause he’s boring.

Back