The reality of Loma: He's the 2nd coming of Roy Jones Jr and he wont last long

Nope.

When great fighters get in the ring together and neither guy has one shot ko power the fight will at some point come down to who has the heart to win. Garcia has been semi-retired for years with one foot out of the ring. Look what happened when things got rough with Orlando Salido. Robert literally checked with the ref to see if his man could quit and still get the win. The ref said yes so him and his fighter called it a day. Salido was waaaaay dirtier with Loma and not only did Loma take him the distance he had him out on his feet in the final round. If Mikey gets in serious trouble Robert will save him. They are more interested in money and safety than they are in legacy or bravado. Not saying it's right or wrong but it is the truth. Loma makes guys quit. Mikey will never take a beating. Even if he was willing to do it his corner isn't won't let it happen. That puts him at a huge disadvantage long before the bell ever rings.

Honestly, That is actually a good point. I didn't factor in Robert cornering his brother. Yeah he ( Robert ) is real protective of his brother. But I think Mikey can get by without too much damage. But I don't think Mikey himself would quit.

{<redford} .

After being thoroughly disappointed following Rigo's performance against Loma, and taking some time to reflect, I've come to a conclusion regarding Lomachenko.

To me, Lomachenko is the greatest athlete in boxing that I have ever seen. I don't say that sarcastically, he is unmatched. Since 2004, Roy Jones' prime, I haven't seen anything like Lomachenko. His style is successful mainly because of his athleticism. His pace, combined with his constant feints and footwork are the reasons his opponents quit. Rigo quit not because of an injury, but because he had no answers.

He'll fight Mikey Garcia in 2018, and he'll send Mikey back to the police academy. The way that will play out is competitive in the first 4 rounds, and then the pressure will be too much for Mikey's mechanical style to overcome, Robert throws in the towel by the 8th or 9th round with Mikey's face battered and bruised. That's not a competitive fight. Neither is a fight against any other champion at 135. 140 may be pushing it for Loma's small frame, but if he decides to venture to 140 his gifts may be offset by the size of his opponents.

This dominant reign will only last for about 3 years though. Because once his legs start to go, he's turning 30 next year, he'll be severely limited. He doesn't have the type of game, or at least hasn't developed the type of game, that is sustainable for several years. We haven't seen him 'set up shop' in the middle of the ring and fight some on the inside like Floyd, for example, in his later years when his legs went. He's also not a sharp shooter like Lara, nor does he hit as hard, to fight an exclusively outside game.

Right now, he's unmatched. Both physically and technically. Enjoy it while it lasts.
Clearly you have not seen much boxing..

Mikey is too mechanical/robotic to beat Loma. Mikey only has a size advantage and he throws a more precise 1-2. Hand speed, foot speed, pace, output etc. all favor Loma.

I don't think Mikey doesn't have much of a size advantage on Loma. But he is better I feel at cutting the ring off and using distance and timing. Plus he sits down on his punches a little more. It would be interesting to see who would be fighting defensively or off the back foot more.

<Y2JSmirk> .

Last edited:
no one at or around mikey's weight will toy with him. he isn't unbeatable, but no one will dominate him, not even lomachenko.

Orlando Salido started dominating him pretty damn clearly before Robert asked the ref if his man could quit and go straight to the score cards. The idiot ref said yes so Mikey and Robert called it a day and escaped with a pretty humiliating victory. He lost a lot of fans that day including me and most of the guys I was watching the fight with.

Salido is a fucking flithy fighter but he started dominating Mikey before the pathetic quit job the same way he dominated Loma for several rounds in their fight.

It goes to show you that literally anyone can get dominated in the ring. Regardless of whether it's by skill or power or volume or conditioning or just plain dirty grinding fighting.

Honestly, That is actually a good point. I didn't factor in Robert cornering his brother. Yeah he ( Robert ) is real protective of his brother. But I think Mikey can get by without too much damage. But I don't think Mikey himself would quit.

{<redford} .

Yeah it has to be truly awful to know you are the one deciding when enough is enough for a family member in the ring. I know I couldn't do it. If my brother got smacked hard once I'd be throwing in the towel and the water bottle and then probably throwing punches.

Pretty sure Cuban picked Lomachenko to beat Rigondeaux.

I believe he picked him to win but with the caveat that he would have to be ahead after 6. Obviously Rigo never showed and Loma ended up pitching a shutout. But he was talking him up as a current PFP great. Which he obviously is on the fringe of at best after this last performance.

{<hhh] .

Orlando Salido started dominating him pretty damn clearly before Robert asked the ref if his man could quit and go straight to the score cards. The idiot ref said yes so Mikey and Robert called it a day and escaped with a pretty humiliating victory. He lost a lot of fans that day including me and most of the guys I was watching the fight with.

Salido is a fucking flithy fighter but he started dominating Mikey before the pathetic quit job the same way he dominated Loma for several rounds in their fight.

It goes to show you that literally anyone can get dominated in the ring. Regardless of whether it's by skill or power or volume or conditioning or just plain dirty grinding fighting.

No he didn't, he got the shit boxed out of him, and resorted to illegally attacking with his head and trying to get rough. He was still being outboxed, and the only thing that was clear was Salido wasn't even trying to disguise it anymore, and HE WAS THE ONE who found a way out of that fight. He tried to get away with a dq to save face from being stopped like an amateur.

You guys need to drop this quitting narrative, it's obvious Salido in the Mikey fight was no different than Rigo in the Loma fight. Embarrassed, out of answers, and after all the flash KDs he already took, he probably saw the writing on the wall and figuredthe next time he went down he was taking a nap. It was a bad look for him, Mr. ROUGH, and he pussed his way out. Stop blaming Mikey, he beat the fuck out of Salido.

No, Salido wasn't coming on, either. I don't care about his history as a fighter. He was BEAT.

No he didn't, he got the shit boxed out of him, and resorted to illegally attacking with his head and trying to get rough. He was still being outboxed, and the only thing that was clear was Salido wasn't even trying to disguise it anymore, and HE WAS THE ONE who found a way out of that fight. He tried to get away with a dq to save face from being stopped like an amateur.

You guys need to drop this quitting narrative, it's obvious Salido in the Mikey fight was no different than Rigo in the Loma fight. Embarrassed, out of answers, and after all the flash KDs he already took, he probably saw the writing on the wall and figuredthe next time he went down he was taking a nap. It was a bad look for him, Mr. ROUGH, and he pussed his way out. Stop blaming Mikey, he beat the fuck out of Salido.

No, Salido wasn't coming on, either. I don't care about his history as a fighter. He was BEAT.

I have to re - watch this fight as I seem to have gone " momento " in this case and can't recall the details of this fight.

<GOT3> .

i just don't consider winning by fighting dirty as winning legitimately. if you win by punching someone in the nuts or headbutting them, you're a cheater and should've been DQ'd.

if i go in there with salido and stab him in the tits with a knife the ref didn't see, then proceed to boxing his ears off, i can't really claim i dominated him. i stabbed the fucker, i'm not supposed to do that. and salido does this all the time, punching guys low, butting them with his head... any victory he's had in which he resorted to those tactics should have an asterisk next to it.

After being thoroughly disappointed following Rigo's performance against Loma, and taking some time to reflect, I've come to a conclusion regarding Lomachenko.

To me, Lomachenko is the greatest athlete in boxing that I have ever seen. I don't say that sarcastically, he is unmatched. Since 2004, Roy Jones' prime, I haven't seen anything like Lomachenko. His style is successful mainly because of his athleticism. His pace, combined with his constant feints and footwork are the reasons his opponents quit. Rigo quit not because of an injury, but because he had no answers.

He'll fight Mikey Garcia in 2018, and he'll send Mikey back to the police academy. The way that will play out is competitive in the first 4 rounds, and then the pressure will be too much for Mikey's mechanical style to overcome, Robert throws in the towel by the 8th or 9th round with Mikey's face battered and bruised. That's not a competitive fight. Neither is a fight against any other champion at 135. 140 may be pushing it for Loma's small frame, but if he decides to venture to 140 his gifts may be offset by the size of his opponents.

This dominant reign will only last for about 3 years though. Because once his legs start to go, he's turning 30 next year, he'll be severely limited. He doesn't have the type of game, or at least hasn't developed the type of game, that is sustainable for several years. We haven't seen him 'set up shop' in the middle of the ring and fight some on the inside like Floyd, for example, in his later years when his legs went. He's also not a sharp shooter like Lara, nor does he hit as hard, to fight an exclusively outside game.

Right now, he's unmatched. Both physically and technically. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Greatest athlete you've ever seen? Comparing Loma to RJJ ? Technically unmatched?

Look fam, I am enjoying the Loma show as much as anyone else, the guys is top 5 one of my favorite boxers right now but these comparisons and claims are not based on anything logical and concrete.

Does Loma have some solid wins against up and coming prospects like Walters and GRJ, yeah sure but lets not sit here and act like he has faced the stiffest competition . Before you crown him RJJ lets see him beat a top tier guy in the weight class.

Loma's best win is arguably against a 37 year old boxer (Rigo) and he got beat by a crafty veteran Mexican boxer (Saldio) and he has still to avenge that loss.

I am all for hyping a guy because of his technical brilliance but to sit here and act like this guy is some unrivaled mastermind when Salido was able to beat him is just down right crazy talk lol. Let Loma prove himself and get some quality wins against guys Like Mikey, Crawford( I am willing to bet they will negotiate on weight) and everybody else and then we can talk about "greatest athelete ever".

To be honest, I am 1000% sure if a guy like Salido can leave Loma holding an L, a guy like Crawford can get a victory over Loma also lmfao.

Uh, what? Salido arguably didn't deserve a single round in that fight. I'm not against the idea that Garcia taking the easy way out might suggest that he lacks heart (time will tell on that point), but at no point did Salido come even close to dominating Garcia; he was getting outboxed right up until the stoppage.

I consider Cuban23 has some interesting and valid points regarding Loma's athletic attributes, strength and weakness. And objectively speaking, we should concur these attributes diminish in an accelerated manner between age 25-33. Certainly, advances in of modern sport science, technology, and training methodologies has made possible for athletes with much longer careers (e.g., 40 year-olds in the olympics)... but not necessarily performing at their peaks. So, I don't think Cuban23 estimate be too far off...

However, I consider that the comparison of Loma's and Roy's athleticism is incongruent or disparate, bio-mechanically speaking. For example, how can we measure or decide objectively whether a basketball or football player is a better athlete than a gymnast, a runner, or a swimmer? How can then we expect Loma outpoints Roy in a basketball match and/or Roy performing better than Loma in gymnastics?

In my opinion, if we would like to compare the athleticism of different boxers, we should refer to their amateur careers. The reason I say this is due to the fact that in the amateur arena, athletes depends the most on their exceptional and particular attributes. In addition, the scheduling of national and international competitions allowes for the application of proven scientific traing-methodologies design to bring the athletes into peak performance at the national, world championships, and the olympics. Few boxers like Rigo and Loma (not to mention Teofilo Stevenson) belong to the top echelon of olympic boxing.

RJJ was one of my favorite amateur boxer. I really like his grace, versatility, and improvisation; basically, a great representative of what you expect from the effective flamboyancy of the American school of boxing. Unfortunately, RJJ was the victim of many unjust, flagrantly corrupt decisions; but in honor of the truth, he wasn't a dominant figure in the international amateur arena. I believe his peak was at the Seoul Olympics, and we know what a disgace took place... The best was yet to come...

Loma will get mugged eventually. Not a slight against his style but he will slow down enough at some point that he will be in a fight with someone who he can't hurt or run from. Some young buck full of vineger and hate that just wants to trade.

Yes, but he peaked in 2004/2005. Since then, we haven't seen anyone approach him. Until Lomachenko.

That's one thing he doesn't have, the one shot KO power. But he has qualities that Roy didn't have as well.

Yes Roy was the better athlete, I'm not saying he wasn't but I'm say SINCE Roy, Lomachenko is the best athlete in boxing and it's honestly not close.

What other fighter has his punch output, combined with his footwork? Most of the time we see fighters who are a pressure fighters but they are flatfooted plodders. Then we have fighters with incredible footwork, but they're too defensive and are low output. Lomachenko is the rare type who is both high output, and amazing footwork. There is currently no fighter in boxing that can even attempt to fight Loma's style. if they try, they'll be gassed by the 3rd round.

He can fight at his pace for 12+ rounds, his opponents can only go 6 and then quit.
No...He didn't peak in 04/05..........

He was on the decline at that point

But he's in the matrix . . . they never grow old in there.

<puh-lease75><{spoogebab}><{fry}>

Not so sure about the 140 talk. Didnt Loma state he would never go above 135?

I dont give a shit about this comparison but its nice to see you actually give due credit instead of crying bullshit excuses for your favorite fighters.
No, he's doing the same thing he always does in his posts just changing the look a little bit.
Loma has to be the greatest because if he isn't, then what does that make Rigondeaux?
You see in his monologue he even had to mention Lara.
Cuban23 is coping right now.

Loma will never be a Welterweight. His frame is too small and he is too old at this point. When Floyd and Manny were 30, they were Welterweights.

Lomachenko winning a title at 140 would be mind-blowing considering he walks around at 138lbs and his frame is a Featherweight's frame.

I was speaking relatively, yeah 140 for him.

Loma is much more technically sound than a guy like RJJ. RJJ got away with doing everything you aren’t supposed to do. Loma is solid technically, irrespective of athletic gifts. I don’t see him falling as dramatically as RJJ as a result.

Back