The reality of Loma: He's the 2nd coming of Roy Jones Jr and he wont last long

cuban23

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
After being thoroughly disappointed following Rigo's performance against Loma, and taking some time to reflect, I've come to a conclusion regarding Lomachenko.

To me, Lomachenko is the greatest athlete in boxing that I have ever seen. I don't say that sarcastically, he is unmatched. Since 2004, Roy Jones' prime, I haven't seen anything like Lomachenko. His style is successful mainly because of his athleticism. His pace, combined with his constant feints and footwork are the reasons his opponents quit. Rigo quit not because of an injury, but because he had no answers.

He'll fight Mikey Garcia in 2018, and he'll send Mikey back to the police academy. The way that will play out is competitive in the first 4 rounds, and then the pressure will be too much for Mikey's mechanical style to overcome, Robert throws in the towel by the 8th or 9th round with Mikey's face battered and bruised. That's not a competitive fight. Neither is a fight against any other champion at 135. 140 may be pushing it for Loma's small frame, but if he decides to venture to 140 his gifts may be offset by the size of his opponents.

This dominant reign will only last for about 3 years though. Because once his legs start to go, he's turning 30 next year, he'll be severely limited. He doesn't have the type of game, or at least hasn't developed the type of game, that is sustainable for several years. We haven't seen him 'set up shop' in the middle of the ring and fight some on the inside like Floyd, for example, in his later years when his legs went. He's also not a sharp shooter like Lara, nor does he hit as hard, to fight an exclusively outside game.

Right now, he's unmatched. Both physically and technically. Enjoy it while it lasts.

I wouldn't say he is the greatest athlete in boxing history by any means. Loma won't stick around either way, no money in babyweights. it's not the mid 2000's where the divisions were stacked and every time Pacquiao or Floyd or Dela Hoya fought it was a guaranteed payday. Loma has to get to Welter for anyone to start paying big money and I just can't see it happening.

When Loma's opponents start dropping like he has the touch of death in either hand, then conpare to prime RJJ. He doesn't have the power to be compared to prime RJJ, that's part of the physical advantage package Roy had, and he was the better athlete.

Uh...your aware roy was on top for like 12 years right?

Yes, but he peaked in 2004/2005. Since then, we haven't seen anyone approach him. Until Lomachenko.

When Loma's opponents start dropping like he has the touch of death in either hand, then conpare to prime RJJ. He doesn't have the power to be compared to prime RJJ, that's part of the physical advantage package Roy had, and he was the better athlete.

That's one thing he doesn't have, the one shot KO power. But he has qualities that Roy didn't have as well.

Yes Roy was the better athlete, I'm not saying he wasn't but I'm say SINCE Roy, Lomachenko is the best athlete in boxing and it's honestly not close.

What other fighter has his punch output, combined with his footwork? Most of the time we see fighters who are a pressure fighters but they are flatfooted plodders. Then we have fighters with incredible footwork, but they're too defensive and are low output. Lomachenko is the rare type who is both high output, and amazing footwork. There is currently no fighter in boxing that can even attempt to fight Loma's style. if they try, they'll be gassed by the 3rd round.

He can fight at his pace for 12+ rounds, his opponents can only go 6 and then quit.

I would like to see him move up and face some tough competition. Might not be as indestructible at 135 and 140.

He's should also try to unify a belt if he's going to stick around at 130 for so long. His reign is kind of pointless at this point when you have to drag up champions from lower divisions.

After being thoroughly disappointed following Rigo's performance against Loma, and taking some time to reflect, I've come to a conclusion regarding Lomachenko.

To me, Lomachenko is the greatest athlete in boxing that I have ever seen. I don't say that sarcastically, he is unmatched. Since 2004, Roy Jones' prime, I haven't seen anything like Lomachenko. His style is successful mainly because of his athleticism. His pace, combined with his constant feints and footwork are the reasons his opponents quit. Rigo quit not because of an injury, but because he had no answers.

He'll fight Mikey Garcia in 2018, and he'll send Mikey back to the police academy. The way that will play out is competitive in the first 4 rounds, and then the pressure will be too much for Mikey's mechanical style to overcome, Robert throws in the towel by the 8th or 9th round with Mikey's face battered and bruised. That's not a competitive fight. Neither is a fight against any other champion at 135. 140 may be pushing it for Loma's small frame, but if he decides to venture to 140 his gifts may be offset by the size of his opponents.

This dominant reign will only last for about 3 years though. Because once his legs start to go, he's turning 30 next year, he'll be severely limited. He doesn't have the type of game, or at least hasn't developed the type of game, that is sustainable for several years. We haven't seen him 'set up shop' in the middle of the ring and fight some on the inside like Floyd, for example, in his later years when his legs went. He's also not a sharp shooter like Lara, nor does he hit as hard, to fight an exclusively outside game.

Right now, he's unmatched. Both physically and technically. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Holy Shit !! You gave Loma the kiss off death by finally Acknowlaging his talent. Then you go and shit the bed by picking him over Mikey. Mikey will walk through anything Loma has. Just being real. I am a fan of Loma but Mikey will cut him off and perhaps even finish him. This is not a good fight for Loma. He might take some early rounds but Mikey will catch him with the harder shots.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see the fight. But mark my words Mikey takes this one and perhaps finishes him. BTW, Lara's last fight was awful. He had a chance with a guy he should have been able to finish in Gausha and totally botched it while still picking up a boring dec.

l@nd0 .

Garcia looks mechanical in comparison, but he is sound technically and tactically speaking. His size and power advantages are significant. Not sure at all he gets toyed with.

Holy Shit !! You gave Loma the kiss off death by finally Acknowlaging his talent. Then you go and shit the bed by picking him over Mikey. Mikey will walk through anything Loma has. Just being real. I am a fan of Loma but Mikey will cut him off and perhaps even finish him. This is not a good fight for Loma. He might take some early rounds but Mikey will catch him with the harder shots.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see the fight. But mark my words Mikey takes this one and perhaps finishes him. BTW, Lara's last fight was awful. He had a chance with a guy he should have been able to finish in Gausha and totally botched it while still picking up a boring dec.

l@nd0 .

Mikey is too mechanical/robotic to beat Loma. Mikey only has a size advantage and he throws a more precise 1-2. Hand speed, foot speed, pace, output etc. all favor Loma.

l@nd0 .

Nope.

When great fighters get in the ring together and neither guy has one shot ko power the fight will at some point come down to who has the heart to win. Garcia has been semi-retired for years with one foot out of the ring. Look what happened when things got rough with Orlando Salido. Robert literally checked with the ref to see if his man could quit and still get the win. The ref said yes so him and his fighter called it a day. Salido was waaaaay dirtier with Loma and not only did Loma take him the distance he had him out on his feet in the final round. If Mikey gets in serious trouble Robert will save him. They are more interested in money and safety than they are in legacy or bravado. Not saying it's right or wrong but it is the truth. Loma makes guys quit. Mikey will never take a beating. Even if he was willing to do it his corner isn't won't let it happen. That puts him at a huge disadvantage long before the bell ever rings.

Garcia looks mechanical in comparison, but he is sound technically and tactically speaking. His size and power advantages are significant. Not sure at all he gets toyed with.

Are they that significant? He's got a small height/reach advantage. Side by side, they don't look that far apart. I don't deny Garcia's technical ability. But he simply will not be able to keep up.

Garcia hasn't faced anything even remotely close to Loma. Whereas Loma has faced fighters who are a more naturally talented than Mikey. Such as GRJ and Rigo.

He'll be competitive early and then he'll be gasping for air and looking for Robert to throw in the towel.

I also believe Lomachenko also has the 'intangible' edge over Mikey. Mikey quit against Salido when the going got tough with a broken nose and Salido picking up the pace and gaining momentum late in their fight. He figured he was up on the scorecards so he bowed out. Fighters have called him out on it.

Lomachenko, comparably, rallied against Salido and almost finished him in the 12th in his 2nd fight. Plus he fought 6 rounds with a broken hand in Macau. This is all within 10 pro fights. That can't be ignored.

When things get bad, he's going to No Mas it.

I
Are they that significant? He's got a small height/reach advantage. Side by side, they don't look that far apart. I don't deny Garcia's technical ability. But he simply will not be able to keep up.

Garcia hasn't faced anything even remotely close to Loma. Whereas Loma has faced fighters who are a more naturally talented than Mikey. Such as GRJ and Rigo.

He'll be competitive early and then he'll be gasping for air and looking for Robert to throw in the towel.

I also believe Lomachenko also has the 'intangible' edge over Mikey. Mikey quit against Salido when the going got tough with a broken nose and Salido picking up the pace and gaining momentum late in their fight. He figured he was up on the scorecards so he bowed out. Fighters have called him out on it.

Lomachenko, comparably, rallied against Salido and almost finished him in the 12th in his 2nd fight. Plus he fought 6 rounds with a broken hand in Macau. This is all within 10 pro fights. That can't be ignored.

When things get bad, he's going to No Mas it.

It could very well happen, I guess. That being said a broken nose was involved in the infamous Salido decision, which makes it specific. If the fight happens we'll see how Garcia cuts the ring and uses the jab. He brings a few things to the table that Loma will have to adjust to. I'd say Loma would be favorite, but I can't overlook an experienced guy like Garcia with enough power to hurt a smaller guy.

no one at or around mikey's weight will toy with him. he isn't unbeatable, but no one will dominate him, not even lomachenko.

roy wasn't peak in 2004, what was he? 34-35 then? He had been slowing down for several years by that time, not his hand speed or power but he wasn't putting punches together anymore. If i had to pick his peak, it would probably be somewhere around the mid to late 90's. his legs were going by the time he fought clinton woods in, 02 and he was getting kayoed in 04 by tarver and johnson.

Yes, but he peaked in 2004/2005. Since then, we haven't seen anyone approach him. Until Lomachenko.

That's one thing he doesn't have, the one shot KO power. But he has qualities that Roy didn't have as well.

Yes Roy was the better athlete, I'm not saying he wasn't but I'm say SINCE Roy, Lomachenko is the best athlete in boxing and it's honestly not close.

What other fighter has his punch output, combined with his footwork? Most of the time we see fighters who are a pressure fighters but they are flatfooted plodders. Then we have fighters with incredible footwork, but they're too defensive and are low output. Lomachenko is the rare type who is both high output, and amazing footwork. There is currently no fighter in boxing that can even attempt to fight Loma's style. if they try, they'll be gassed by the 3rd round.

He can fight at his pace for 12+ rounds, his opponents can only go 6 and then quit.

Manny Pacquiao is an extraordinary athlete as well, 8 weight class world champion will never be done again. Some of the fastest hands, like roy true one punch KO power at the lighter weights, extremely fast feet, and a godly gas tank. I would say Pacman is a better athlete than Loma.

Lets face it Floyd and Manny werent legitimate WWs but were good enough to make the jump, time will tell if Loma is in that league.

The second coming of Roy Jones Jr. is massively high praise. Lomchenko is a great athlete, perhaps the best athlete in boxing, right now, but Jones Jr. was one of the more physically gifted individual-sport athletes that we've ever seen. As for Lomachenko falling off, his style obviously is somewhat reliant on his phenomenal athleticism, but he probably has a better technical base to fall back on than Roy did (by no means am I suggesting that he is or necessarily ever will be better or greater than Roy, though). We also don't know if he has similar durability issues.

I think you're simultaneously giving Lomachenko maybe too much praise, while also assuming that he has faults that there are no evidence of.

I dont give a shit about this comparison but its nice to see you actually give due credit instead of crying bullshit excuses for your favorite fighters.

I agree with you that Loma's style is heavily reliant on athleticism (obviously). However, I do wonder how his style will change with age: as he ages and declines physically, we'll see if he goes completely off the rails (like RJJ) or if he reinvents himself (like Ali).

Also, I give him more than three years as an elite fighter.

I dont give a shit about this comparison but its nice to see you actually give due credit instead of crying bullshit excuses for your favorite fighters.
Pretty sure Cuban picked Lomachenko to beat Rigondeaux.

Back