The real reason why the UFC will not strip Conor McGregor of his Lightweight belt.

The Natural Born Runner

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No need to long this out, plain and simple answer.

Champions clause.

They strip him, he fights his contract out, hello free agency.

Y'all really have no clue what the champions clause is, do you?

No need to long this out, plain and simple answer.

Champions clause.

They strip him, he fights his contract out, hello free agency.

Fighting your contract out in not that simple dude. 2 or 3 losses in a row would make McGregor damaged goods. He'd still be fighting and making the UFC millions in the meantime.

Plus, there's no other promotion that pays better than the UFC for a fighter like him.

200.webp

The only reason is so they can announce him as a champ when he eventually returns

Break it down to me, seeming as I've got it wrong supposedly?

If the champion's clause didn't work in the UFC's favor, the UFC would ignore it. I'm sure it's worded in such a way that honoring it is up to the UFC's discretion. They can probably release a champion if they want to. I don't remember it ever being done but I'm sure that the UFC can cut a champion. Actually, didn't they cut BJ Penn back in the day?

So, Conor has no leverage in using the champion's clause in his favor.

He does have leverage using the Ali Act though. I'm saddened that he didn't. That would have been a fun thing to watch news coverage of.

Fighting your contract out in not that simple dude. 2 or 3 losses in a row would make McGregor damaged goods. He'd still be fighting and making the UFC millions in the meantime.

Plus, there's no other promotion that pays better than the UFC for a fighter like him.

Well i don't agree with that.

Some company would be willing to shell out millions to him just due to the fact that the UFC played him up so much. Bellator's parent owner for one would take money from it's piggy bank and other areas to pay Conor.

Would leave shit for everyone else though unless they started running their company better afterwards.

Why would they do that? They stripped him of the Featherweight belt because they didn't want him to hold up two divisions. The only way they would strip Conor McGregor of the Lightweight title is if he does something that gives them a legitimate reason to do it (e.g. legal trouble like Jon Jones), if he retires as champion or if he refuses to fight when they need him to. Right now they are doing the Mayweather fighter and then we'll see what Conor McGregor decides to do after that. He's the biggest draw in the UFC right now. He's the legitimate Lightweight champion.

He does have leverage using the Ali Act though. I'm saddened that he didn't. That would have been a fun thing to watch news coverage of.

That is not true
The Ali Act does not over-rule Conors existing no-compete he legally signed.
If it did he would have used it
Floyd even said that Conor cannot fight without UFC'a approval

The only reason is so they can announce him as a champ when he eventually returns
Yep.

Why would you make your most marketable fighter less marketable by removing a promotional bullet point from his tagline?

Heck maybe Conor will never fight in the UFC again after this fight. I don't know what Conor is getting but what if he walks away with 30-50 million? Maybe that is his play and he walks away from MMA. I find it improbable but you never know.

That is not true
The Ali Act does not over-rule Conors existing no-compete he legally signed.
If it did he would have used it
Floyd even said that Conor cannot fight without UFC'a approval
No way of knowing until it went to court. Having a boxing license and a fight lined up could definitely change things. No one really knows how it would work because there's no precedent

Conor has been pretty vocal about how seriously he takes contract negotiations. With his business-first mindset and close relationship with uncle Frank, the champions clause in his contract may be slightly different than ones in the past. Its an assumption either way, but I wouldn't rule out Conor having at least some of the leverage here.

You guys are crazy. Why would UFC strip Conor of LW title. Their biggest star ever. They are even doing everything to get him a boxing match...

No way of knowing until it went to court. Having a boxing license and a fight lined up could definitely change things. No one really knows how it would work because there's no precedent

A $150 piece of paper does not take precedence over a legally bound prior contract.
Conor legally agreed not to box while under UFC contract. Going out and getting a license to do something he is not legally allowed to do does not change anything.
For something to be over-turned there needs to be a reason why & there is nothing illegal with that non-compete.
It happens in a lot of business.

A $150 piece of paper does not take precedence over a legally bound prior contract.
Conor legally agreed not to box while under UFC contract.
For something to be over-turned there needs to be a reason why & there is nothing illegal with that non-compete.
It happens in a lot of business.
And there are variables, one being Dana putting out offers publicly. The UFC would tie it up in an extended court battle either way.

The UFC would tie it up in an extended court battle either way.

Of course they would, because they are 100% in the right
Conor, Floyd all know that.
Going out and getting a license to do something he is not legally allowed to do does not change anything.

I took out your first sentence, bc I was not sure of your point.

Back