The real reason for all those Trump bonuses...

helltoupee

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Back in 2015, Walmart’s stock plunged 10% in a single day when the company said wage hikes were hurting profitability. And that helps explain why scores of companies are suddenly boosting pay now that the Trump tax cuts are going into effect.

Many CEOs credit the Trump tax cuts with boosting the competitiveness of U.S. businesses and generating more confidence about the future.

But CEOs aren’t normally altruistic, and it’s unlikely they’re throwing money around just to be generous. Instead, they’re responding to a tightening labor market by sweetening the deal for workers, at a time when Wall Street isn’t likely to care about rising labor costs–because the tax cuts will boost profits anyway.

The unemployment rate, at 4.1%, is at the lowest level in 18 years. There are roughly 6 million unfilled jobs in the U.S. economy, with more firms saying they can’t find the workers they need. Many economists think that should have pushed pay up by now—but it hasn’t, really.

“Wages have by and large not risen,” says Peter Kenny, senior market strategist for Global Markets Advisory Group. “Employers are being forced to address that as the employment picture continues to tighten. These steps are meant to improve morale, increase retention and boost productivity.”

Companies may also be giving workers a lift now, because they see moves coming later this year, such as stock buybacks, that will primarily benefit shareholders. So bonuses and raises could be an effort by companies to inoculate themselves from criticism that their response to the tax cuts primarily benefits the wealthy.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/real-reason-trump-bonuses-192322608.html

Several of those companies announced lay-offs a few days after the "bonuses".

I think anyone who pays attention to business decisions would have realized this already.

If this was truly about improving the plight of their workers, they would have been pay raises, not one time bonuses. Bonuses are publicity driven because they don't have to commit to doing them again next year, a pay raise that equates to the same dollar increase is permanently baked into the employees paycheck until they're fired.

For example, we like to pay bonuses instead of pay raises because if I give you a pay raise and then give you a cost of living increase next year it's based on your take home pay which is now higher. Over the years, that means that a $200 pay raise is going to keep getting larger over time as the raises compound. With a bonus, it's never going to be adjusted up. I can give you a cost of living raise next year for your take home pay but give you the same bonus figure - which is actually less because it's not being indexed to your cost of living.

The con man liar continues to funnel money to the elites

dz8s4I1.jpg

Why should the "reason" matter if pay is increased.

Its like the author is submitting that yes pay is increasing BUT the companies didnt to it out of kindness they did it out of manipulation!

its fine to claim its not as much of an increase as you wanted, but to claim an unwanted motive to the increase suggests "good things" arent allowed if the act comes from someone you don't like. and thats immoral.

Of course they are trying to hype this. Like I said before, they are trying to condition the labor class to voting for corporate tax cuts by saying 'look, we got a tax cut and you got a big ole' bonus!!! Just imagine if you give us another one!!'

Pretty clear to me that they are putting out the message to Republicans to "please keep this up" and a more subtle message to Democrats to "please don't take this away". ;)

Of course they are trying to hype this. Like I said before, they are trying to condition the labor class to voting for corporate tax cuts by saying 'look, we got a tax cut and you got a big ole' bonus!!! Just imagine if you give us another one!!'
/endofthread

Funny you can buy a poor conservative voter for 200 to $1000 bucks.
The Koch brothers must be pissed after giving Paul Ryan millions.

Why should the "reason" matter if pay is increased.

Its like the author is submitting that yes pay is increasing BUT the companies didnt to it out of kindness they did it out of manipulation!

its fine to claim its not as much of an increase as you wanted, but to claim an unwanted motive to the increase suggests "good things" arent allowed if the act comes from someone you don't like. and thats immoral.

There is no pay increase.

How so? Seems like a there are at least few companies who planning wage increases.

I was under the impression that we were discussing the OP, and bonuses. A bonus is not an increase in pay.

Back