The Psychology behind why an attractive person dates a noticeably less attractive partner?

STEVEN SEAGOLD

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Here's the scenario..

There's this guy I know. His hairline was receeding when he was still in high school. Best way to describe him is dad-bod with a Jason Statham hairline gig going on, without the rugged handsomeness. Nothing unique or exceptional about him... Not successful, from an ordinary lower middle class family, not smart, no stud chick magnet so he's no Ron Jeremy if you catch my drift. For all intents and purposes he's plain average, except for his looks. Which are below average.

Now that I've set the stage and the context...

He's dating a girl younger than him that is distinctively better looking than him. Clearly has much more pull on the sexual marketplace. She's no supermodel though, but this is relative to how average this guy is. If I were to be objective, I'd say she would be a 7.5 at her best. While he's aesthetically around a 4.5.

My point with this is... What is her intention behind getting into business with someone of much lower value than herself? I've come to 3 conclusions.

1. She historically has had low self-esteem issues perhaps like most originating in the teenage years. This ideology is tied to the whole "dad-bod" craze. When you really relate it to relationships it's much the same. Females valued the dad-bod, because of how it made themselves feel. Girls with self-esteem issues want to be with someone who is clearly of lower quality than them. This reassures and validates their internal self-esteem issues. It's also very much a power dynamic. She holds the chips in the relationship. She is the one that is sacrificing and playing down to the competition.

2. She is attracted to that old school tough-rugged manliness that is accentuated by shitty hairlines and stubble... Even in the 20's. This is tied into point 3.

3. She has daddy issues. A love-hate relationship with her father, she is forever looking for that father figure, and seeks it out in the men she dates. This is reflected visually by how those men look.

It's most likely point 1.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Photos for more context

87d006a74922c74b44db8f8a3eebbbf5.png
a5fa8233b05bef1f3c823aa6e5ef2d68.png
a3b36f472e30963dcf97ba18169dad3c.png

Last edited:
the lack of male influence growing up left a gap in her personality that is filled when she dates "manly" guys and it makes her feel comfortable. as if it calms down her explosive and impulsive behaviour (that is usual from daddy issues girls).

Just comfort. she sees in him someone who's close to what's missing in her life : a firm, male perspective.

I should upload some pics for more context. Don't want to get detectiv'd though

All I get from the OP is that you don't know how to pick up women that are out of your league.

<{ziddy1}>

I'd be too, bitch leave me for a no hairline dadbod guy ?

His dick must be huge or she has some insecurity problems and see her missing dad in him.
This guy never had the stud tag, but one of his friends called Hamish was known as being hung. They'd joke about how Hamish would pull up next to you at the urinal and flex on you.

I think it's a combination of dad-bod reverse complex (Self-esteem) and perhaps a small amount of daddy issues.

For cases that the guy is not rich.

Maybe... just maybe.. some girls really aren't as superficial like most. Not in for the D as well. The guy simply makes her feel comfortable and happy. It's normal that we usually hate guys like that and talk crap behind, myself included.

I'm just saying Maybe though.

All I get from the OP is that you don't know how to pick up women that are out of your league.

<{ziddy1}>
This has nothing to do with me. I'm simply creating a discussion about this occurrence and I'm pretty spot on with my conclusion I feel. If you think otherwise you are free to contribute!

For cases that the guy is not rich.

Maybe... just maybe.. some girls really aren't as superficial like most. Not in for the D as well. The guy simply makes her feel comfortable and happy. It's normal that we usually hate guys like that and talk crap behind, myself included.

I'm just saying Maybe though.
This is a good point. She is a self-proclaimed vegetarian, libra and nature lover. She's pretty young so I think you could have a point there.

This guy never had the stud tag, but one of his friends called Hamish was known as being hung. They'd joke about how Hamish would pull up next to you at the urinal and flex on you.

I think it's a combination of dad-bod reverse complex (Self-esteem) and perhaps a small amount of daddy issues.
one question, is she that ratchet type of girl that pretends to be from the ghetto or hillbilly family ?

cause those generally have lower standards and sure do go with whoever looks more impressive to her standards, and good guys usually don't fit the bill, not as challenging.

one question, is she that ratchet type of girl that pretends to be from the ghetto or hillbilly family ?

cause those generally have lower standards and sure do go with whoever looks more impressive to her standards, and good guys usually don't fit the bill, not as challenging.
Definitely not. Well then again Facebook is all about what image you would like to put out. But from what I've seen.. No signs of rachetness.

What's with the Libra talk? Is Horoscope a thing over there? I thought only chicks in some Asian countries are into that. And guys just get into that to pick them up.

I know Taiwanese girls get wet when you talk Horoscope.

EDIT:
Guy be like : I'll like to break you into Pisces when we bang later.
Girl be like knee weak.

Definitely not. Well then again Facebook is all about what image you would like to put out. But from what I've seen.. No signs of rachetness.
unusual. Well, girls can also go for less "worrying" type of Boyfriends because they're insecure to date a guy their level and be cheated. Usually traume from past relationships, or yeah, problems with not having enough male influence growing up or having trouble with the men in her life that gave her some sort of trauma.

My ex also dates a fat boy just because she can't trust good looking men anymore. i am not sorry i sure do fuck up these bitches minds.

What's with the Libra talk? Is Horoscope a thing over there? I thought only chicks in some Asian countries are into that. And guys just get into that to pick them up.

I know Taiwanese girls get wet when you talk Horoscope.
Think it's more of a western girl spirituality shit... Ties in to the nature love and vegetarian stuff. One step from homeopathy

You need a lot more context on the guy to get an actual assessment of his relationship value to women. How tall is he? How kind of job does he have? Is he good at it? How are his social skills? Where do they live? Where has he been? Etc.
Long story short, looks aren't as important to a woman for long-term relationship material.

87d006a74922c74b44db8f8a3eebbbf5.png
a5fa8233b05bef1f3c823aa6e5ef2d68.png
a3b36f472e30963dcf97ba18169dad3c.png

She's no Victoria secret model, but she's clearly playing a few divisions down

Back