The Proganda thread: warning lots of UFC stuff

I also feel like there was a general idea that The Hip stood for something uniquely Canadian. I don't really know what that means, but they were accessible to everyone. Maybe they spoke more to us on the prairies, but pretty much everyone that I grew up with regardless of what they did had time for The Hip. It was the night of the McGregor fight that they had their final concert and during the PPV at the bar I was at, they cut the sound and put on the sound for The Hip concert. No one complained.

Well, a good chunk of their songs were certainly unique to Canada that's for sure. Sometimes it would shown in only one or two verses, while other times it was basically the whole song (like say Wheat Kings). Being born and raised in Manitoba, yeah, a lot of their stuff did resonate with us prairie folk, although I think they've done a good job covering the country from coast to coast with their song writing.

I haven't posted this song from them yet I don't believe. It's one of their better ones from their earlier days;

it really is the same story everywhere, in the americas and the world for indigenous peoples. My tribe has an interesting history with the canadian and the us fighting for control of us, they decided they would split the tribe in half so half my family is across the border and we are just now getting to know each other. Canada was the promised land that some of the plains indians tried to get to, i really don't know how much to claim a heritage anymore, many indians are pretty much capitalists these days and will use the label of indian for every penny it's worth, at the same time, many others are absolutely drowing in alcohol,drugs, disease, poor health. either extreme, I generally try to avoid. the older folks are gone and those really were the ones i could relate best to.

There is a real generational divide that I've seen in a few Native communities that I've interacted with.

ya, you got the kids who all think they are mexican or black, which in urban areas is understandable but some of these guys are trying to talk like a hoodrat on the rez. then, you got the whole stupidity of what to call themselves, most of it is just an arrogance that wasn't in us before. I don't know, maybe there is a place for some of those things, one of the things that held me back in this society is just being too passive.

Well, a good chunk of their songs were certainly unique to Canada that's for sure. Sometimes it would shown in only one or two verses, while other times it was basically the whole song (like say Wheat Kings). Being born and raised in Manitoba, yeah, a lot of their stuff did resonate with us prairie folk, although I think they've done a good job covering the country from coast to coast with their song writing.

I haven't posted this song from them yet I don't believe. It's one of their better ones from their earlier days;

There are a lot of people from the Maritimes who love them, as well, so I'm probably wrong with my thought that they exclusively appealed to the Prairies. Canadian culture is sometimes hard to really nail down outside of pride in hockey and the cold, but it was probably articulated better by them than anyone else I can think of.

I may have posted this one already since it was on their concert DVD. But if not;

There are a lot of people from the Maritimes who love them, as well, so I'm probably wrong with my thought that they exclusively appealed to the Prairies. Canadian culture is sometimes hard to really nail down outside of pride in hockey and the cold, but it was probably articulated better by them than anyone else I can think of.

If we're just talking through song then I'd say there's no doubt about that. In fact, I'm not sure there's a close 2nd in the music industry.

sorry,comp slow

I just played your song for my wife a few minutes. I didn't tell her that you posted on here or anything. Nor is she even that big a music fan. I asked her what she thought and she said "Yeah, he's pretty good".

ya, you got the kids who all think they are mexican or black, which in urban areas is understandable but some of these guys are trying to talk like a hoodrat on the rez. then, you got the whole stupidity of what to call themselves, most of it is just an arrogance that wasn't in us before. I don't know, maybe there is a place for some of those things, one of the things that held me back in this society is just being too passive.

Yeah, gang life is becoming bigger and bigger in a lot of res's that I've been around (granted, I've mostly been around res's and involved with people in community outreach around Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, and other areas as of Sask; those are generally some of the more troubled areas in Canada). There are no easy solutions, but as much as this country laughs at someone like Trudeau (and I don't like Trudeau, at all), his idea of actually having an open two-way dialogue with communities (that goes beyond lip service to the press and the major Chiefs) is a step in the right direction.

Yeah, gang life is becoming bigger and bigger in a lot of res's that I've been around (granted, I've mostly been around res's and involved with people in community outreach around Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, and other areas as of Sask; those are generally some of the more troubled areas in Canada). There are no easy solutions, but as much as this country laughs at someone like Trudeau (and I don't like Trudeau, at all), his idea of actually having an open two-way dialogue with communities (that goes beyond lip service to the press and the major Chiefs) is a step in the right direction.

gangs on the rez, almost funny. I've rarely been to a rez, my tribe doesn't have one and mostly what i see is on something like youtube. it's about as strange as white rappers in suburbia, what can we say, human beings on the whole aren't as evolved as we like to think.

gangs on the rez, almost funny. I've rarely been to a rez, my tribe doesn't have one and mostly what i see is on something like youtube. it's about as strange as white rappers in suburbia, what can we say, human beings on the whole aren't as evolved as we like to think.

If only it was like gangs in white suburbia. Gangs in a place like Hobema (not called Hobema, anymore, but whatever) are no joke. Violence has gone down (small sample, yes, but it's encouraging) in most areas last I checked, though.

well, the natives in the us have many, many issues, domestic violence, sexual assault, much of it self inflicted because we've internalized so much abuse. the men, often times are just chewed up by society, just by being so powerless in it, and the women are either codependent to some loser or one of them nasty judgemental bitches. all kinds of problems and my family has all of it, alcohol by far is the most destructive, when a fetus is damaged in vitro, that's not just a psychological but a biological problem which leaves you scratching your fucking head as you try to make sense out of the retardation.

Trudeau doesn't have much of a choice but to try to make things better for them after Gordie put him on blast during the concert in front of the whole country, and then telling us all to hold Trudeau accountable for changes.

In that recent interview of him I posted a few pages back, Gordie talks a lot about the issues plaguing native people on the reservations and how, besides his family, improving conditions there are all he cares about nowadays. Part of the interview was to promote Gordie's upcoming program that deals with those issues, and in fact, it airs tonight on CBC.

oh, i just read my post, sounds like i'm saying i'm retarded, (some people here might say, 'i knwe something was up with that guy') what I meant was that i've had relatives with birth defects and fetal alcohol syndrome and it definitely does make the do some backwards shit. sometimes i've just felt like throwing in the towel oon the lot of them.

Trudeau doesn't have much of a choice but to try to make things better for them after Gordie put him on blast during the concert in front of the whole country, and then telling us all to hold Trudeau accountable for changes.

In that recent interview of him I posted a few pages back, Gordie talks a lot about the issues plaguing native people on the reservations and how, besides his family, improving conditions there are all he cares about nowadays. Part of the interview was to promote Gordie's upcoming program that deals with those issues, and in fact, it airs tonight on CBC.
sounds like an ok guy. Indians here are pretty fragmented, almost like caricatures in one way or another. you got the total loser, you got the guy who made himself completely in the white man's image and is a perfect tool and then you got the ones who exploit the word "indian" as far as they can and live well off the pain of the past. and sometimes you even have halfway decent peoples and some great young people who fill you with hope.

No mods, I'm not posting this video because because there's a pair of lovely titties that show up at some point in the video (1:38 to be precise), so please don't ban me for it. But if I have to use the help of some titties to make a Hip fan out of one or two of you guys then by all means that's what I'll do.

Nor am I posting this video due to the titties that show up at the beginning of the video and then again later on either;

Alright, I can't promise any titties in this next video, but... Ah, who am I kidding. Lets get a closeup of them beauties shall we;

Back