The Proganda thread: warning lots of UFC stuff

I don't know if you guys know who @Lethal is (he's a mod here), but I've long wondered who the girl in his av was. He told me last night, and I feel like I have a thing for her, now.

Outside of Lauryn Hill, I usually dismiss female rap, but I like it for some reason.

I like iggy azalea. Not her music, but I like her.

He's the author of the Langford book, Moz. I think he's written another book or two since then as well. He's a very good researcher and also quite strong as a writer if looking for more factual based reading. He's from a small town in Washington state. Can't remember the name of it, though. But he's from somewhere close to you.
ok, i'll look it up.

You're from the Pacific Northwest, right, Moz? Do you have any interactions with any of the plains tribes?

I've never heard of Greig. I'll have to look him up. Getting someone like Chuvalo onboard (the darling of the southern Ontario center of Canadian media; I'm not mad at Chuvalo for it, he has always seemed like a tremendous human being, but he's been the only boxing related topic that Canadian media has wanted to touch for awhile, it seems), would be great.

Greig's book 'Going the Distance', the one detailing Canadian boxing history, is truly one of my favourites. He gives a lot of space to guys like Langford, Dixon, Burns, McLarnin, Chuvalo and the like. But he also writes about this country's lesser known fighters who have made a bit of a mark in boxing. It was written in the mid 90's I do believe. I couldn't recommend it enough to someone like yourself, and it's likely dirt cheap nowadays. I think Greig still occasionally writes about boxing for some newspaper in Calgary or Edmonton too. Or maybe not anymore. But he was doing so last time I checked.

Katie Nolan is incredibly attractive. She's good looking, yes, but her general character makes her incredibly attractive. This is why my relationships don't last.

You're from the Pacific Northwest, right, Moz? Do you have any interactions with any of the plains tribes?
only the ones who move here, i never did a lot of travelling. I'm met comanche's sioux, some ways they are different than my people, sioux seem to be pretty tall folk, I think the plains tribes tend to be more aggressive than many of the rest of us for whatever reason. That's probably why the government came down so hard on them. I met a couple comanche women in my college years.

Edit: Apparently I can't post links to Amazon on here.

Greig's book 'Going the Distance', the one detailing Canadian boxing history, is truly one of my favourites. He gives a lot of space to guys like Langford, Dixon, Burns, McLarnin, Chuvalo and the like. But he also writes about this country's lesser known fighters who have made a bit of a mark in boxing. It was written in the mid 90's I do believe. I couldn't recommend it enough to someone like yourself, and it's likely dirt cheap nowadays. I think Greig still occasionally writes about boxing for some newspaper in Calgary or Edmonton too. Or maybe not anymore. But he was doing so last time I checked.

I'll definitely have to check it out. Can't remember seeing him in the paper, but the last time I had any reaction to boxing in the papers in Alberta (aside from the average reporting on certain events, they actually put almost a whole article on a friend of mine and a guy I used to spar with, but that was 2 years back) was when they put absolute piss poor articles out before the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight. I will definitely look him up.

only the ones who move here, i never did a lot of travelling. I'm met comanche's sioux, some ways they are different than my people, sioux seem to be pretty tall folk, I think the plains tribes tend to be more aggressive than many of the rest of us for whatever reason. That's probably why the government came down so hard on them. I met a couple comanche women in my college years.

I'm Canadian, so the way they dealt with the Native peoples here is a bit different (we didn't have the army to wage war in the west like the US did, so we just made treaties with extreme coercion in the background and then tried to annihilate the Native culture and way of life, afterwards). It's mostly Blackfoot and Cree people that I know.

Just to make an aside point, but I feel like the last time the country really came together in any meaningful way was for The Who's last concert. Essentially everyone I knew stopped and took notice, and it was really amazing.

Just to make an aside point, but I feel like the last time the country really came together in any meaningful way was for The Who's last concert. Essentially everyone I knew stopped and took notice, and it was really amazing.

I don't remember that myself, but I was never a big fan of them. Before The Hip's final concert I would have said the gold medal game from 2010. I'm not sure what the last non-hockey country-wide get together would have been before The Hip, though.

And to think, before it happened, there was someone on here who I had a short discussion with in which he was trying to tell me their final concert wasn't going to be a big deal.

I don't remember that myself, but I was never a big fan of them. Before The Hip's final concert I would have said the gold medal game from 2010. I'm not sure what the last non-hockey country-wide get together would have been before The Hip, though.

2010 and 2014, to a point. Since 2014, that concert seemed like the closest thing. People didn't really make enough of the point that the Russians got annihilated on their home soil in hockey. Two of my favourite players of all time are Russian (Datsyuk and Fedorov), but they were straight annihilated on their own turf, and they were the only real competition for Canada when we really get down to it. I think it made a real point that affected the Canadian hockey subconscious (that we're more or less unassailable). No one cared about the World Cup of Hockey this year.

I'm Canadian, so the way they dealt with the Native peoples here is a bit different (we didn't have the army to wage war in the west like the US did, so we just made treaties with extreme coercion in the background and then tried to annihilate the Native culture and way of life, afterwards). It's mostly Blackfoot and Cree people that I know.
it really is the same story everywhere, in the americas and the world for indigenous peoples. My tribe has an interesting history with the canadian and the us fighting for control of us, they decided they would split the tribe in half so half my family is across the border and we are just now getting to know each other. Canada was the promised land that some of the plains indians tried to get to, i really don't know how much to claim a heritage anymore, many indians are pretty much capitalists these days and will use the label of indian for every penny it's worth, at the same time, many others are absolutely drowing in alcohol,drugs, disease, poor health. either extreme, I generally try to avoid. the older folks are gone and those really were the ones i could relate best to.

2010 and 2014, to a point. Since 2014, that concert seemed like the closest thing. No one cared about the World Cup of Hockey this year.

I think comparing it a hockey game is a little unfair, albeit the country certainly came together then. On those occasions we were celebrating our favourite sport being played by a team representing the country, and doing so as part of the biggest sporting event in the world that happened to be on our home soil. For The Hip's final concert we were basically celebrating and offering support to an individual who has led a band that has been entertaining us for nearly three decades.

I think comparing it a hockey game is a little unfair, albeit the country certainly came together then. On those occasions we were celebrating our favourite sport being played by a team representing the country, and doing so as part of the biggest sporting event in the world that happened to be on our home soil. For The Hip's final concert we were basically celebrating and offering support to an individual who has led a band that has been entertaining us for nearly three decades.

I also feel like there was a general idea that The Hip stood for something uniquely Canadian. I don't really know what that means, but they were accessible to everyone. Maybe they spoke more to us on the prairies, but pretty much everyone that I grew up with regardless of what they did had time for The Hip. It was the night of the McGregor fight that they had their final concert and during the PPV at the bar I was at, they cut the sound and put on the sound for The Hip concert. No one complained.

Back