The problem with teaching your son Jiu-Jitsu at a young age.

I think its great but i would wait till hes a little older so you can tell him to control himself and not bully his friend. You don't want him to not have any friends.

I have this same problem...I dont do it much now but I played around with him and now he wants to take ppl down.. Didnt think he'd get that into it.

I'd say wait until he's at least 7

I disagree! My kid started at 5yrs old and did just fine. Here is a vid i took, these two are 4 years old i believe. You can see they do just fine also, why wait till 7?

Here are a couple vids of him grappling my kid about half a year ago. You can see him using some actual moves in the video, shoots for takedowns, tries to grab arm and bridge when mounted. Decent escapes. My son was going very easy on him because he is smaller, but the younger kid had some good, well learned grappling skills he implemented.

This is there second match that the instructor told my kid to go a little harder in and you can still see the young kid display some good BJJ, rear mount escapes.

And here are two matches of my son 6yrs old grappling kids his own size.:wink:

and his latest match.

I disagree! My kid started at 5yrs old and did just fine. Here is a vid i took, these two are 4 years old i believe. You can see they do just fine also, why wait till 7?

Here are a couple vids of him grappling my kid about half a year ago. You can see him using some actual moves in the video, shoots for takedowns, tries to grab arm and bridge when mounted. Decent escapes. My son was going very easy on him because he is smaller, but the younger kid had some good, well learned grappling skills he implemented.

This is there second match that the instructor told my kid to go a little harder in and you can still see the young kid display some good BJJ, rear mount escapes.

and his latest match.

Wow he looks great. How old before GB let him start?

Wow he looks great. How old before GB let him start?

I think 4yrs old is the youngest they would take, this little guy obviously started a little earlier, but you can actually see him trying to use moves he learned while grappling. Pretty impressive, he gets mounted instantly starts to trap an arm to bridge! Gets one hook, pulls his opponent onto him and secures the second hook.

If taught right kids will eat this technique up!

and his latest match.

This has to be the cutest fucking thing ever.
Better than kittens.

Some awesome information in this thread. My son is 17 months old and I am really hoping that he will strike an interest in BJJ when he is a bit older. Right now we do a little bit of wrestling but usually he loses interest pretty quickly.

I love BJJ and hope he will love it too, but I'll see what he's like when he hits 2.

2 is a good age. My kid with her grappling team

wutang21.jpg

A two year old does not have the cognative functioning to differentiate bewtween playing with Dad and being rough and doing the same shit to others.

Wait a few years bro. Until at least 4-5

That is absolutely adorable! I don't have kids of my own, but if I ever have a son (which I really want to), I would absolutely start them on grappling/BJJ from the moment they are physically developed enough to! I don't see a problem as long as he does it in and ONLY in the gym, so that he doesn't get it in his head that BJJ is something he should be using when horsing around with friends.

It is pretty cool to see fathers playing JJ with their kids.

You can see it in Choke i.e Rickson Gracie and Renzo Gracie legacy.

Actually Renzo explains in the doco on how they teach their kids..

dude just tell him not to use the stuff on people except you ...simple

2-3 is way too young. Back off for a few years.

I would even say 6 years old is too young for BJJ.

Most MA schools take kids 4-6 into a kids program.

I think 4yrs old is the youngest they would take, this little guy obviously started a little earlier, but you can actually see him trying to use moves he learned while grappling. Pretty impressive, he gets mounted instantly starts to trap an arm to bridge! Gets one hook, pulls his opponent onto him and secures the second hook.

If taught right kids will eat this technique up!

I have heard concerns straight from BBs that kids joints are not developed enough for a lot of the techniques.

But I I have also heard of active officiating where if a submission is applied, it is immediately stopped.

I am more on the fence on waiting, but if people can offer up good reasoning as to why kids this age can participate in BJJ without damaging joints, etc, I am all ears.

My kids are chomping at the bit to join something...I am the one stalling. :icon_chee

this is rediculous i cant believe how many people are saying he's too young
the ts is teaching his kid bjj , he's teaching him fun games
its obv it effects the way the kid moves but still
kids wrestle with kids and its not your fault that the other kid cant figure the puzzle out

id say tell your kid not to wrestle with the other kid if the other kid is gonna be a poor sport
and continue somthing that your child prolly enjoys very much

this is rediculous i cant believe how many people are saying he's too young
the ts is teaching his kid bjj , he's teaching him fun games
its obv it effects the way the kid moves but still
kids wrestle with kids and its not your fault that the other kid cant figure the puzzle out

id say tell your kid not to wrestle with the other kid if the other kid is gonna be a poor sport
and continue somthing that your child prolly enjoys very much

Teaching control and escapes is one thing. Teaching and having young kids attempt submissions is another thing.

Its not as simple as you would like to think it is.

Teaching control and escapes is one thing. Teaching and having young kids attempt submissions is another thing.

Its not as simple as you would like to think it is.

Yeah i meant to get back to you on this......... IMO this is the rub. It is dangerous imo to teach young kids subs due to the fact that they may use them without supervision.

But honestly i haven't seen much to indicate it as being a major problem. One thing that does really bother me is laxidasical supervision in the form of ref's not paying enough attention or not "tapping for the kids". IMO as soon as the sub gets close, even into position for a sub they should be there ready to rock.

You can see on the video's that i posted in here earlier my son loses to an armbar from mount. His opponent gets the armbar and the ref is right there, the ref lets my son work out of it because he is doing the proper defense, then the opponent gets mount and swings for another armbar and the ref steps in right away and calls the match.

That imo is perfect, but as a parent you do need to be very careful who is reffing matches and what is the expectation in regards to tapping, also refs need to not listen to the parents about when to call a tap and when not to, the ref should know when and not trust the parents judgement or influence.

Bottom line is 4 to 5 is the age that most kids are allowed into a gym type setting to learn BJJ and both at Frank Shamrocks and GB Seattle they are taught subs and sub defense right away and im o.k with that as a parent......

Back