The problem with our educational system: kids having best friends

Scheme

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
https://health.usnews.com/wellness/...uld-schools-ban-kids-from-having-best-friends

I am always fascinated by trends. And I am especially intrigued by the emerging trend among European schools, and now some American schools as well, to ban best friends.

That's right. Some schools are attempting to ban the entire concept of children having best friends.

This, to me, seems like a Herculean task. The notion of choosing best friends is deeply embedded in our culture. Nonetheless, there is, in my opinion, merit to the movement to ban having best friends.

Certainly in life we all benefit from having close friends and confidantes – those who really get us. On the other hand, there is something dreadfully exclusionary occurring when a middle schooler tells the girl sitting next to her that she is best friends with the girl sitting in front of them. Of course, this scenario plays out in a variety of ways, but child after child comes to my therapy office distressed when their best friend has now given someone else this coveted title.

[Read: The Promise and Perils of Friendship Threesomes.]

Many of you will suggest that our kids should toughen up and will become hardier if they learn to deal with the natural shifts in friendships that are inevitable. Perhaps, there is some truth to that. However, I am concerned about the bigger picture, which includes the pain associated with exclusion and the gentle comfort associated with inclusion.

So, what do I, as a psychologist, think of this trend where schools are banning best friends? I have thought about it long and hard, and I say bring it on. Let me tell you what brought me to this controversial conclusion.

I am a huge fan of social inclusion. The phrase best friend is inherently exclusionary. Among children and even teens, best friends shift rapidly. These shifts lead to emotional distress and would be significantly less likely if our kids spoke of close or even good friends rather than best friends. And, if kids have best friends, does that also imply that they have "worst friends?" A focus on having best friends certainly indicates there's an unspoken ranking system; and where there is a ranking system, there are problems. I see kids who are never labeled best friends, and sadly, they sit alone at lunch tables and often in their homes while others are with their best friends.

[Read: How to Help Your Teen Cope With the Death of a Friend.]

My hope is that if we encourage our kids to broaden their social circles, they will be more inclusive and less judgmental. The word "best" encourages judgment and promotes exclusion.

I am not, however, an advocate of encouraging kids to have huge groups of friends. What I would like to see instead is children having a smaller group of close friends. In fact, there is research suggesting that adolescents who have a small group of close friends fare better emotionally than those who are part of a larger social circle. Perhaps those who are part of a large group lack closeness and are socializing primarily with acquaintances.

So, what is a parent to do with these attempts to turn best friend culture upside down? First, you should certainly not forbid your child from having contact with her best friend. Nor should you march into your child's school and tell the administration that they will not and should not attempt to bring this new trend into the school.

[See: What to Do When Your Daughter Gets Rejected by a Friend.]

Instead, take a moment and breathe. Then consider making a bit of a shift to your vocabulary and talk to your children about the importance of having close friends. Put less emphasis on popularity and having best friends. In life, there is much to be gained from having a few close friends. Everyone brings something different to the table. Our lives are richer if we are closer with a few others rather than putting all of our eggs in one basket, right? This is true for children and adults. Think of all the wonderful opportunities you may have missed if you socialized exclusively with only one friend. Now think about your kids and help them broaden their perspective.

The problem with the concept of 'best friends' is that it isn't inclusive enough. People might feel excluded if they don't have a best friend, and then they might even be sad. We need to put a stop to this shameful display of discrimination.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/news/462185/schools-ban-children-making-best-friends/
TEACHERS are banning schoolkids from having best pals — so they don’t get
upset by fall-outs.

Instead, the primary pupils are being encouraged to play in large groups.

Educational psychologist Gaynor Sbuttoni said the policy has been used at
schools in Kingston, South West London, and Surrey.

She added: “I have noticed that teachers tell children they shouldn’t have a
best friend and that everyone should play together.

“They are doing it because they want to save the child the pain of splitting
up from their best friend. But it is natural for some children to want a
best friend. If they break up, they have to feel the pain because they’re
learning to deal with it.”

Russell Hobby, of the National Association of Head Teachers, confirmed some
schools were adopting best-friend bans.

He said: “I don’t think it is widespread but it is clearly happening. It
seems bizarre.

“I don’t see how you can stop people from forming close friendships. We make
and lose friends throughout our lives.” The Campaign for Real Education,
which wants more parental choice in state education, said the “ridiculous”
policy was robbing children of their childhood.

Spokesman Chris McGovern added: “Children take things very seriously and if
you tell them they can’t have a best friend it can be seriously damaging to
them. They need to learn about relationships.”

Last edited:
Christ people write a lot of shitty articles, but also shame on TS for taking the bait and clicking

The problem with schools is that there’s a bunch of kids who don’t want to be there, who haven’t learned any discipline or responsibility from their parents in home life

Best friends are about to hit the black market.

Christ people write a lot of shitty articles, but also shame on TS for taking the bait and clicking

The problem with schools is that there’s a bunch of kids who don’t want to be there, who haven’t learned any discipline or responsibility from their parents in home life

It's not exactly the parents full responsibility in teaching discipline it's also the schools. I would argue the school is actually more responsible in some ways.

Well according to the article, schools in Europe and now United States are actually starting to ban best-friend relationships.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/03/20/several-schools-in-uk-issue-best-friends-ban.html
https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/news/462185/schools-ban-children-making-best-friends/

We can pretty much end the thread now. This response nails it.

It's not exactly the parents full responsibility in teaching discipline it's also the schools. I would argue the school is actually more responsible in some ways.

No. Schools can reinforce it, but discipline and fearing consequences has to start at home or no non-parental unit will ever be able to control a kid who does whatever he/she wants. All a school can do is suspend them, which they many times want.

When a child misbehaves and has no respect for any adult when reprimanded, that’s a sign of the parents failing

https://health.usnews.com/wellness/...uld-schools-ban-kids-from-having-best-friends

The problem with the concept of 'best friends' is that it isn't inclusive enough. People might feel excluded if they don't have a best friend, and then they might even be sad. We need to put a stop to this shameful display of discrimination.

errr

i dont think any schools are banning best friends. even in europe. this is a fake outrage link. id almost guess the onion wrote it.

errr

i dont think any schools are banning best friends. even in europe. this is a fake outrage link. id almost guess the onion wrote it.
If you look at the sun article it does say it is taking place at various schools in the UK.

If you look at the sun article it does say it is taking place at various schools in the UK.

i think its fake.

"banning best friends" is way better for click bait and fake outrage than "encouraging them to play in groups."

i think its fake.

"banning best friends" is way better for click bait and fake outrage than "encouraging them to play in groups."

seems bizarre.

I don’t see how you can stop people from forming close friendships. We make

Also in the past few years, do you really think any of this is out of this world?

What do you think is going to happen exactly? Are schools going to prevent friends from eating lunch together? I'm not reading that article, because this whole idea is impractical to the point that no administrator or teacher would ever bother trying to enforce it.

seems bizarre.

I don’t see how you can stop people from forming close friendships. We make

Also in the past few years, do you really think any of this is out of this world?

bahh

i think its bs. a school or 3 is trying to get kids to play in groups and some people are interpreting that as a "best friend ban."

where are the specifics lol? what does a best friend ban even look like? wheres the policy?

This is good news. The whole concept of the best friend is a Eurocentric, patriarchal caucasonormative one. The more (white) students are forced to play with COC (Children of Colour) the better off we will be.

What do you think is going to happen exactly? Are schools going to prevent friends from eating lunch together? I'm not reading that article, because this whole idea is impractical to the point that no administrator or teacher would ever bother trying to enforce it.
Children are being left out of small cliques/groups of friends. We need to put this to a stop. We will start engineering our class so that kids are forced to hang out with each other. Recess will no longer be kids just doing whatever they want, they will now have to hold hands together.

We are going to coddle children and then they are going to get into the real world and realize that nobody wants to be their friend because they had forced friendships. Overall, people are going to be lonelier in my opinion, since they will lose the basic communication skills of acquiring new friends, which is already pretty prevalent in younger generations.

bahh

i think its bs. a school or 3 is trying to get kids to play in groups and some people are interpreting that as a "best friend ban."

where are the specifics lol? what does a best friend ban even look like? wheres the policy?
It's completely retarded. What, teachers are going to run out into the hallways to make sure kids aren't talking to each other in a best friendly manner?

Children are being left out of small cliques/groups of friends. We need to put this to a stop. We will start engineering our class so that kids are forced to hang out with each other. Recess will no longer be kids just doing whatever they want, they will now have to hold hands together.

We are going to coddle children and then they are going to get into the real world and realize that nobody wants to be their friend because they had forced friendships. Overall, people are going to be lonelier in my opinion, since they will lose the basic communication skills of acquiring new friends, which is already pretty prevalent in younger generations.
Yeah, none of this is going to happen. Even if elementary schools tried to do this, it would never get implemented at the high school level.

Seems more of a language debate than a substantive one.

I bet there's a few sherdoggers who think this is a genuinely good thing

Back