1. New Sherdog Meme Generator! Check is out Here Use it to win a free platinum accountHere
    Dismiss Notice

The problem isn't the flw division; the problem is an exceedingly boring champion

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by pilgrim4702, Jul 17, 2017.

1. pilgrim4702 Orange Belt

pilgrim4702
    Don't misunderstand; the division being full of tiny fighters is never a recipe for blockbuster entertainment. But holy height-requirements batman, is mm boring to watch. Fights in a low-risk style. Even when the finish comes, the fight was boring and as low risk as possible on mm's part. Getting dropped on the feet by Dodson; goes for takedowns and wall and stall. Gets roughed up by Elliot; lays on top of him as stalls for two rounds. Gets a finish? Great. Mm stunk up the fight prior to the finish.
    Hamed, barerra, Marquez, pacquiao, morales, we're all tiny boxers but fans loved them because they brought the fight to their opponents and were exciting, and were no less elite(ok hamed excluded) than mm.

The difference is mm style and lack of charisma and risk taking is boring, not the division. If he would stop being a boring low-risk fighter, his stock would rise.

Fahcough likes this.
  2. DetachedOrchid Black Belt

DetachedOrchid
    Can't it be both?

3. headkicktoleg Silver Belt

headkicktoleg
    His style isn't even that bad 125ers are just so tiny it makes it seem like they are hardly doing anything

4. Pwent WOW!

Pwent
    Why not both

LouisBolanos and DetachedOrchid like this.
  5. UseARubberGuard Wrap it up

UseARubberGuard
    Lol this is ridiculous. It's clearly the size difference.

MM has 10000000x the personality that Fedor did, and we see the difference in that.

Some fans are never going to root on the FLW champion, no matter what.

6. pilgrim4702 Orange Belt

pilgrim4702
    No. Fedor fought in an extremely high-risk style, often to his opponents strengths, and often finished those opponents after a brief or total war. Mm fights defensively unless it's convenient to finish, but by that time the fans were bored to shit anyway and left the arena. It's definitely not size; otherwise the boxers I mentioned wouldn't have a fan base either. and to say Dj has a personality in general is a stretch. Biggest fight in the history of the world is going down be a fighter who at his best fought at 145 and a boxer who started at 130 and cuts no weight fighting at 147. Not that much bigger than mm compared to all the other divisions. So it's mm fault, not the fans or his size. He's just boring.

7. Danespina Silver Belt

Danespina
    DJ is one of the most entertaining to watch imo. Espessially in the last 2 years he constantly hunts for a way to end the fight.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  8. SVG Yellow Belt

SVG
    DJ was stupid in not fighting the bigger man in my opinion he should of been put in a situation where it looks like he can be beat ( to some extent ) kinda like Fedor was. Most of the times i disagree with Dana but on this one DJ kind of fucked up. When i originally heard about the fight with TJ i thought that would be great if they could pull it off.

9. LouisBolanos Popcorn tastes good

LouisBolanos
    Terrible division with a terrible champ.

Donks like Luke Thomas always get triggered when fans say flyweights are too small, and their argument is almost always "oh yeah well DJ will murk your ass!"

Well Luke the donk Thomas guess who would murk DJ's ass? a run of the mill MW getting 10/10 fighting on FightPass prelims, that's who. Now tell me why I should care about DJ more than I should care about Tae Hyun Bang.

10. Pwent WOW!

Pwent
    just a reminder that nobody cared about floyd until he went up and fought de la hoya at 154, even though floyd was originally a 125 lber

conor didnt get to fight mayweather until he started challenging up in weight

the main reason nonfilipinos like pacquiao is because he challenges up in weight

and mighty mouse wouldnt accept a fight in his own weight class because he was scared the other person might come in at like 127 or something

pilgrim4702 likes this.
  11. Check-Hook Yellow Belt

Check-Hook
    MM style isn't that boring IMO. He definitely plays it safe, as most champions do, but he would be stupid otherwise. And really, if you look at it, he throws a great variety of strikes, some even quite flashy. Throughout most of his fights, he manages to dominate from kicking range, from boxing range, in the clinch with punches, knees and elbows, on the ground with seamless transitions and a great variety of submission set-ups. To me, that's not boring at all. That's a clinic.

12. SVG Yellow Belt

SVG
    Not somebody that is not really a good fighter to begin with he should never of took DJ 5 in my opinion. Somebody that can you think could actually beat DJ with a bit of size advantage. I still believe it was a huge mistake for DJ not to take that fight.

Let's not get it twisted either i hope i ain't coming across like a DJ hater because i actually like him but i really think he should be taking a fight like TJ because i think it would of created some interest.

13. Gilday Brown Belt

Gilday
    No, it's because he's short.

If you ever listen to the guy or watch his twitch he's a funny guy, and he always looks for a finish now, he doesn't fight for a decision like he used to.

14. Black Paladin #BrownsForever

Black Paladin
    Demetrious Johnson fights are entertaining for the first few minutes of the first round when you are like "Damn, that little motherfucker has SKILLS!" and also anytime during the remainder of the fight when the OPPONENT brings something to the table and makes it more interesting. That's about it.

15. UseARubberGuard Wrap it up

UseARubberGuard
    Have fun with your rose-tinted glasses about Fedor, but that's how it actually went.

I forgot, Mighty Mouse always stays away from his opponents strengths, like out-striking Dodson, out-clinching Cejudo, and out-grappling Reis.

Fedor finished fights in a typical timeline to HWs, Mighty Mouse finishes fights in a typical timeline to FLWs. If you expect anything different it is a personal problem.

And comparing boxing fans to MMA fans is also a totally irrelevant. Sorry, try again.

16. Fatal Catro Black Belt

Fatal Catro
    Nah MM is good shit.

17. knock_you_out Yellow Card

knock_you_out
    I disagree.

18. ineverpost Brown Belt

ineverpost
    He has tons of submissions and TKOs, this thread is bullshit. It's the division

19. Thuckey Heavies Referee

Thuckey
    DJ is very well rounded, a great fighter. But nothing that stands out that is AMAZING. Every time I see him win it has the same feel of an average fight where a better fighter defeats a lesser skilled fighter in a spectacularly average way. With no excitement behind them, even when DJ finishes or dominates.

I feel if his opponents were bigger household names, and had previous triumphs in mma or were once champions or anything like that it'd be more interesting. Or if DJ finished them in crazy ways or fought uniquely and stood out from other people. It's what made GSP, Silva, Jones so exciting to watch. A mix of well known opponents, the ability to destroy them, and doing it in unique or crazy ways that kept you watching.

It also helped that each of their divisions already had a full, rich history and therefore the belts have more meaning behind them... The FLW belt is new and has only seen one champ.. the rest of the top ten are relatively nobodies in the game of mma when compared with every other division. When you see DJ come out and break Anderson's Silva record it's going to be against a guy named RAY BORG - who I am not ashamed to admit that I have no clue who he is or no memory of any of his fights even though I've been a big mma fan for over a decade. The fact that he absolutely declined against TJ too does not help things, see THAT would have been an interesting fight to see.

20. lyndon955 Green Belt

lyndon955
    I get his reasons for doing it but turning down TJ was an awful move

DJ vs TJ wouldve been a must watch and he turned it down to fight the number 5 flw who is an absolute nobody