The PRIDE fandom is Ridiculous here

It still would have been cool to have a no time limit style match between saku and rickson

You literally know nothing about MMA if you think Royce could beat Rickson in a fight.
Minus the part where I provided multiple paragraphs showing that I know significantly more than you, while your "awesome" argument is "dude Rickson was obviously better, anyone who knows MMA knows that." Prove it. I proved my point, you didn't prove shit.

Minus the part where I provided multiple paragraphs showing that I know significantly more than you, while your "awesome" argument is "dude Rickson was obviously better, anyone who knows MMA knows that." Prove it. I proved my point, you didn't prove shit.
Beside the fact that everyone in the Family including Royce concluding he is the best fighter and grappler in the family?

Pride is the only place where you can see Butterbean keylock Zuluzinho

wasteland this shit
Bob Sapp can perform an perfect Armbar win against his famous PRIDE FC opponent WAY faster and more fluidly than Rickson could have ever dreamed of in PRIDE FC!

Beside the fact that everyone in the Family including Royce concluding he is the best fighter and grappler in the family?
They say it out of respect, as he's the oldest Gracie of their generation, and also because he's a very deluded man who would probably start an unnecessary family fight over it. Examples of his delusion include when claimed he would beat Coleman and Marco Ruas in the mid 90s despite Ruas challenging him numerous times, that he could beat Fedor, and that Big Nog had "no guard" among many other hilarious claims. None of them actually believe he's the best, they just say it because they don't want the Gracie name to be tarnished, so they pick the one with no losses to uphold the "Gracie Myth." Yet Rickson did nothing to prove any of it, while Royce, Renzo, Ryan and Royler actually fought legitimate fighters in the 90s and 2000s.

This may come as a surprise, but words do not equal actions. They can say whatever they want, but the actions don't represent any of those words. Also, since we're talking about hearsay, Helio refuted Rickson's claims and said that Rickson is a liar who counts sparring among his wins.

And we have many of the best actual MMA fighters in the world who say Sakuraba was something special. What's your point?

Sakuraba Prime is not someone who will lose to any Gracie. His weakness was striking from massive fighters. If you roll with him, you get kimura'd or armbarred. Screw "Rickson by Armbar." Even Helio got his ass kicked by Kimura.

My point is Rickson wasn't totally a myth, obviously he had/has some ridiculous skills grappling. People like to shit on that 400-0 thing, which is fine to do and all, but some people act like Rickson was just another Gracie on the mat and Sakuraba would have his way with him. I just don't think that's the case.

They say it out of respect, as he's the oldest Gracie of their generation, and also because he's a very deluded man who would probably start an unnecessary family fight over it. Examples of his delusion include when claimed he would beat Coleman and Marco Ruas in the mid 90s despite Ruas challenging him numerous times, that he could beat Fedor, and that Big Nog had "no guard" among many other hilarious claims. None of them actually believe he's the best, they just say it because they don't want the Gracie name to be tarnished, so they pick the one with no losses to uphold the "Gracie Myth." Yet Rickson did nothing to prove any of it, while Royce, Renzo, Ryan and Royler actually fought legitimate fighters in the 90s and 2000s.

This may come as a surprise, but words do not equal actions. They can say whatever they want, but the actions don't represent any of those words. Also, since we're talking about hearsay, Helio refuted Rickson's claims and said that Rickson is a liar who counts sparring among his wins.
And what about the people who have no affiliation with the Gracie's consistantly claim Rickson is the greatest grappler they have ever faced???? I guess they are all in on the joke?

And what about the people who have no affiliation with the Gracie's consistantly claim Rickson is the greatest grappler they have ever faced???? I guess they are all in on the joke?
It's called hero worship and demagoguery; Rickson is basically an urban legend that got repeated so much by the Gracies that many people just accepted the myths as facts despite the fact that 99% of the people making those claims about Rickson have never actually even seen him compete. Again, hearsay means nothing in lieu of any actual proof. It's like those oft heard stories of Bruce Lee having deathmatches on Hong Kong rooftops; I'd believe he had some matches, but nothing like the exaggerated claims I've heard from people.

I honestly can't tell if you're trolling or are completely serious, so I'll say it again one more time. They can say whatever they want; Rickson did absolutely nothing to prove he's one of the best at BJJ all time, never mind at MMA. He competed in BJJ during a time when the sport was isolated to very small and specific areas of Brazil, when only wealthy people could even afford BJJ classes. Up until the late 90s BJJ boom, long after Rickson was done competing, there certainly weren't very many wealthy Brazilians, and only a small fraction of them learned BJJ; then, only a small fraction of that small fraction actually competed. It would be like saying the biggest fish in the pond behind your house is one of the biggest fish of all time.

I'm not saying Rickson wasn't a skilled guy, he certainly was, but he's not anywhere even close to the legendary status he's been given by some in both BJJ and MMA. I'm all about context when picking legends and greats; obviously a fighter from 20 years ago won't have the skills of a fighter now with access to modern training, but even when you consider the context of the time period, Rickson wasn't anything special back then, as I outlined in my original post. He made every excuse not to fight legitimate guys like Sakuraba, and RIP to Rockson, sad story, but had the Ogawa fight gone through in lieu of Rockson's deaeth, Rickson would have gotten absolutely destroyed.

PRIDE fanboys are hilarious. Some actually thought Saku vs Royce was a good fight. Two men hugging for an hour, with Bas jizzing in the background over every single muscle flex = the good old days, in their eyes.
I'm confused, what don't you like in this scenario?

It's called hero worship and demagoguery; Rickson is basically an urban legend that got repeated so much by the Gracies that many people just accepted the myths as facts despite the fact that 99% of the people making those claims about Rickson have never actually even seen him compete. Again, hearsay means nothing in lieu of any actual proof. It's like those oft heard stories of Bruce Lee having deathmatches on Hong Kong rooftops; I'd believe he had some matches, but nothing like the exaggerated claims I've heard from people.

I honestly can't tell if you're trolling or are completely serious, so I'll say it again one more time. They can say whatever they want; Rickson did absolutely nothing to prove he's one of the best at BJJ all time, never mind at MMA. He competed in BJJ during a time when the sport was isolated to very small and specific areas of Brazil, when only wealthy people could even afford BJJ classes. Up until the late 90s BJJ boom, long after Rickson was done competing, there certainly weren't very many wealthy Brazilians, and only a small fraction of them learned BJJ; then, only a small fraction of that small fraction actually competed. It would be like saying the biggest fish in the pond behind your house is one of the biggest fish of all time.

I'm not saying Rickson wasn't a skilled guy, he certainly was, but he's not anywhere even close to the legendary status he's been given by some in both BJJ and MMA. I'm all about context when picking legends and greats; obviously a fighter from 20 years ago won't have the skills of a fighter now with access to modern training, but even when you consider the context of the time period, Rickson wasn't anything special back then, as I outlined in my original post. He made every excuse not to fight legitimate guys like Sakuraba, and RIP to Rockson, sad story, but had the Ogawa fight gone through in lieu of Rockson's deaeth, Rickson would have gotten absolutely destroyed.
Okay bro. I must be Trolling because instead of going with the clearly biased opinion of a random dude on the internet I believe the hundreds of high level black belts who have rolled with him. Literally NOBODY has come out and said they have tapped Rickson in a match or even practice.... NOBODY. Has Rickson lost? Yes Ron Trip worked that ass easy in Sambo. But to this day every grappler who has trained with Rickson has said he is everything everyone says he is.

Would Rickson vs Saku been a very competitive fight??? Yes. But I feel Rickson would come out on top. I'm not saying Rickson is the GOAT or was and amazing mixed martial artist. But the fact is I have seen Saku go life and death with lesser grapplers.

Also let's not forget
Rickson Rolled with Royler (one of the Greatest competitive BJJ players of all time) at a pride event and tapped him 3 times in mere minutes (YouTube it.)

He also has a video of him have a Match with Rigan Machado (who is a Multiple time Pan Am champion and an ADCC medalist) in which he won.

Sakuraba would have toughed out a win the same as he did to the other Gracies.
I think he would have ended up more like...say he did with Arona. Only Rickson was bigger and badder than Arona.

PRIDE fanboys are hilarious. Some actually thought Saku vs Royce was a good fight. Two men hugging for an hour, with Bas jizzing in the background over every single muscle flex = the good old days, in their eyes.
So true, one of the most boring fights of all time.

Pride was so awesome at the time , but if you go back and watch it , some of the fights were great and some of the fights weren't

I think people are in love with the memory's

So like i mentioned in my first sentence "Well i dont know the guys that fought in the late 80´s till mid 90´s, but after the late 90´s for sure"

I dont know the guys... i started 2005 with Highlight reels from Yvel, Pele and Wanderlei.
Can you mention some?

I don't know either.

There weren't UFC, Pancrase or Pride back then to measure.

But we do know that the Gracies challenged all others, and got the better of most, while Rickson is recognized as the best of the Gracies --- and when Vale Tudo Japan 1995 happened, he won it.

Okay, I'm the top scramble fighter. Scramble is a fight sport that doesn't exactly exist in any official form yet. But I'm the top guy, completely undefeated in it. Mostly in closed door matches, but my close family and friends will confirm that no one is better than me. Should the sport catch on I will assure everyone that I could have beaten them, but I'll retire once it catches on.

Did you win the Vale Tudo Scramble Championship in 1995?

Cos Rickson won the Vale Tudo Japan Championship in 1995.

Did you beat a legendary scramble champion in 2000?

Cos Rickson beat Funaki when he was 42 years old.

Back