The Power of Now

Goonerview

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Anyone ever read this book?

I'm currently half way through. Some good information in it. If you find yourself too much in your own head, too attached to thoughts or emotions, how to have more presence and how to recognise and reject painful attachments that you may have. Be the real you and not your ego.

I don't agree with everything in the book, but interesting read.

The thing about self help books is this: You'll forget it all after 2 days.

I disagree. I read it with a pinch of salt and an open mind. Take useful tips and forget the ones that aren't useful.

I have this book and tried reading through it a couple of times, but I just found it to be poorly written and full of conjecture.

I mean, it kind of encourages you to suppress your "inner voice." You know, the same one that says "did you turn the oven off?" right after you've left your house, forcing you to turn back and saving your house from burning down in ashes, or "man, this trip to Syria might not be a good idea," which by suppressing that thought, you're saving yourself the inner struggle and sleepless nights by not having to debate yourself in your mind. Sometimes, worry is a good thing!

Then again, I've met respectable people who swear by the teachings in this book, so who knows. Would like to hear other people's opinions.

I have it and I am all about the message but it is not the best book on this subject. @RTL is right about it being poorly written and full of conjecture.

I have this book and tried reading through it a couple of times, but I just found it to be poorly written and full of conjecture.

I mean, it kind of encourages you to suppress your "inner voice." You know, the same one that says "did you turn the oven off?" right after you've left your house, forcing you to turn back and saving your house from burning down in ashes, or "man, this trip to Syria might not be a good idea," which by suppressing that thought, you're saving yourself the inner struggle and sleepless nights by not having to debate yourself in your mind. Sometimes, worry is a good thing!

Then again, I've met respectable people who swear by the teachings in this book, so who knows. Would like to hear other people's opinions.

Yeah, I think it says to be aware of the voices of the ego ... Not ignore them or fight/suppress them ... but to just be aware of them and conscious of them.

I found the section on the idea of pain bodies to be very interesting and something I had never considered before. I used some of the techniques today and it helped me be chill in a situation that I would have otherwise been very irritated or triggered in.

I think there are still stresses that I have from my childhood, but still affect me today. Certain things trigger these feelings in me. This book has made me more aware of them.

I haven't finished reading it, but I'm not going to be joining a monastery anytime soon, either.

Last edited:

The word "self help" conjures images of a guy in a straight jacket or something.

I personally, prefer to use the term self-discovery or self-improvement. Know yourself to know others. Philosophy, psychology, spirituality.

Last edited:
The word "self help" conjures images of a guy in a straight jacket or something.

I personally, prefer to use the term self-discovery or self-improvement. Know yourself to know others. Philosophy, psychology, spirituality.
The bookshops have a "self help" section and so does Amazon, in other words:

I think fighting or suppressing the inner voice is a bad idea. Just be conscious of it, negotiate with it.

How does his book vary from your typical book on mindfulness?

Back